BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#2061 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-August-17, 14:35

View Postkenberg, on 2016-August-17, 08:38, said:

Trump said "I love the poorly educated". The complete thought could have been "I love the poorly educated, they make me rich by putting their paychecks into my slot machines". Christie or the poorly educated, or business associates, or young people looking for professional training, or anyone else, the clear Trump motto is "Never give a sucker an even break". W.C. Fields was funny, Trump isn't.

I think that this is all that one really has to understand about him.

Chris Christie is looking more and more like a mafioso boss doling out "favors".
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2062 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-17, 15:42

NARRATIVE ALERT: Trump is leading working class white voters by 49-36 (NBC/Wall Street) or 46-31 (McClatchy/Marist). Romney won them by about 62-36.
ADJUST YOUR NARRATIVES!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2063 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-August-17, 15:48

NARRATIVE ALERT: Ohio Senator Rob Portman (who personally negotiated trade deals as Bush's trade representative) is out-performing anti-trade Donald J. Trump by 10-12 points. In anti-trade Ohio.
ADJUST YOUR NARRATIVES!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2064 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-17, 16:35

On a slightly lighter note: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...chips-1.3724516

#2065 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2016-August-17, 18:22

View Postcherdano, on 2016-August-17, 15:42, said:

NARRATIVE ALERT: Trump is leading working class white voters by 49-36 (NBC/Wall Street) or 46-31 (McClatchy/Marist). Romney won them by about 62-36.
ADJUST YOUR NARRATIVES!

From the source I quoted earlier:

Diplomas are what Ron Brownstein calls the “new Republican fault line.” In 2012, Mitt Romney struggled for months to consolidate support because, even as he had clear support among college-educated Republicans, he fared worse among non-college voters.

My own view is that it is neither money nor education but a psychological bent that creates the Trump supporter.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2066 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-17, 19:46

View Postonoway, on 2016-August-17, 07:43, said:

The thing I don't understand is the frequent comment by Trump supporters that he is such a successful businessman. This is a mind boggling leap of ...well who knows what, but since when are multiple bankruptcies and fraudulent business ventures such as Trump " university" considered examples of how to run a successful business? Has anything he's been involved with NOT been tinged with questionable business practices and dubious profitability? Do these admirers not know, or don't they believe, or what on earth is going on there?

None of that really matters. He's successful because he seems successful. He has numerous fancy buildings with his name on them. He owns a country club. He has a jet, a series of trophy wives. He's been a frequent guest on talk shows, and the hosts treated him like royalty.

He's successful for the same reason the Kardashians are famous. The public doesn't look at his books, they don't see the bankruptcies. And even if they did, they don't really care. Bankruptcy and lawsuits are normal activities for big businesses. Did anyone consider Chrysler a failed business when it went into bankruptcy?

#2067 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-17, 20:10

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-17, 19:46, said:

None of that really matters. He's successful because he seems successful. He has numerous fancy buildings with his name on them. He owns a country club. He has a jet, a series of trophy wives. He's been a frequent guest on talk shows, and the hosts treated him like royalty.

He's successful for the same reason the Kardashians are famous. The public doesn't look at his books, they don't see the bankruptcies. And even if they did, they don't really care. Bankruptcy and lawsuits are normal activities for big businesses. Did anyone consider Chrysler a failed business when it went into bankruptcy?

On this last point, there was a belief that Chrysler's problems, and more generally the auto industry's problems, were in a large part caused by same really bad judgment. I would say that if your marriage falls apart, if you end up in jail, if you end up in personal or in business bankruptcy, there is at least some reason to question your judgment in the area in which these failures have taken place. Such failures might not make a person a pariah, but they hardly are a recommendation either. Trump, in speaking about McCain, said he preferred people that didn't get captured. I prefer people that don't run a business into bankruptcy. And McCain only got captured once. And he stood in solid unity with his fellow captives even when offered an out. There is a difference, and it makes McCain look good, Trump look bad.
Ken

#2068 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-August-17, 20:21

I am sick of Trump. Sick of hearing of him, sick of thinking about him. So a shift.

Cathy Lanier will be moving on from her very successful tenure as police chief in D.C.
Not everyone likes her, but hell, not everyone likes me.
We have problems nationwide in police-community relations and she has been, I think more successful than most. She has had the joob for close to ten years, so others think so too.
I also find her to be impressive in her personal story. She dropped out of high school when she was 14, she has made a good life for herself and accomplished more than a little.
Here is an article .

There are many things far more worth our time than talking about Mr. Trump.
Ken

#2069 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2016-August-18, 07:43

View Postkenberg, on 2016-August-17, 20:21, said:

I am sick of Trump. Sick of hearing of him, sick of thinking about him. So a shift.

Cathy Lanier will be moving on from her very successful tenure as police chief in D.C.
Not everyone likes her, but hell, not everyone likes me.
We have problems nationwide in police-community relations and she has been, I think more successful than most. She has had the joob for close to ten years, so others think so too.
I also find her to be impressive in her personal story. She dropped out of high school when she was 14, she has made a good life for herself and accomplished more than a little.
Here is an article .

There are many things far more worth our time than talking about Mr. Trump.

Trump is to Lanier as the sewer is to the shining city on a hill.

#2070 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-August-18, 08:13

View PostWinstonm, on 2016-August-18, 07:43, said:

Trump is to Lanier as the sewer is to the shining city on a hill.

Exactly. I don't know that Lanier has ever wasted any breath saying anything one way or the other about Trump, but I can make a reasonable guess as to what she thinks.

However here is a column by lifelong Republican voter.

https://www.washingt...m=.f286e255db78

Note that he not only is repelled by Trump, he is also supportive of Clinton. I imagine that they, Clinton and Akerson, coould find many things to disagree on but he is confident that she is ready for the job. Trump isn't, and never will be.

There have been other columns by prominent people of conservative leanings explaining why Trump is simply beyond the pale for them but I found this to be one that might really get the attention of reasonable people with a conservative outlook. There could well be many more such pieces.

Trump is now 70. I am 77. Let me say something. We in our 70s do not reboot. We don't reset. And we are not much inclined to pretend that we have rebooted. If anything, we settle in. I know various fellow 70s who had somewhat odd traits in their 40s, and these traits have become more pronounced as they have aged. Any rebooting had to be done long ago. I will be the same person in November that I am now, and Trump will be the same Trump. We have seen what this is.

Trump has put a Sarah Palin enthusiast in charge of his campaign? Really? I just have to stop reading the news, my head is spinning.
Ken

#2071 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-19, 08:34

24 hours with nothing in this thread? Are we all as sick of Trump as Ken is? :)

#2072 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-August-19, 09:03

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-19, 08:34, said:

Quiet before the storm announcement of TNN (Trump News Network).

#2073 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2016-August-19, 09:12

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-19, 08:34, said:

I only hope the voters turn out in droves to express just how sick they are of Trump.

#2074 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-19, 22:05

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-August-08, 08:12, said:

Is it possible that she was briefed that the armed forces were taking precautions to make sure there were no snipers in the vicinity and she filled in the gaps? As others have said, memory is a funny thing.

Ryan Lochte?
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#2075 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-August-23, 05:43

View Postandrei, on 2016-August-19, 22:05, said:

Ryan Lochte?

Forgive me for not finding the life of some American swimmer headline news but....what???
(-: Zel :-)

#2076 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-August-23, 07:52

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-August-23, 05:43, said:

Forgive me for not finding the life of some American swimmer headline news but....what???

He also seems to have filled some memory gaps.

Nothing much, really.
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#2077 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-24, 14:19

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-August-23, 05:43, said:

I don't find it headline news either, but I think the story was roughly that:

Lochte claimed to have been scared for his life because he was raided by Brazilian police at a gas station ... and he somehow forgot to mention that this happened because Lochte and friends had been vandalizing the toilet over there. When security camera footage appeared, he made a halfhearted apology.

I don't know more than that, but for me it doesn't seem to compare to Clinton's snipers.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#2078 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-August-26, 08:16

View PostTrinidad, on 2016-August-24, 14:19, said:

I don't know more than that, but for me it doesn't seem to compare to Clinton's snipers.

Sounds closer to Virgingate.
(-: Zel :-)

#2079 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-28, 14:50

View Postshyams, on 2016-July-27, 04:11, said:

Michael Moore: Why Trump will win...

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

PS: Congratulations, President Trump!

If betting odds represent likelihood of an outcome (and I'm not saying they do), at this time Donald Trump is 22.2% likely to become President. Odds offered on a betting exchange are 4.50 (or 7:2 odds in English style)

#2080 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-August-28, 15:28

View Postshyams, on 2016-August-28, 14:50, said:

If betting odds represent likelihood of an outcome (and I'm not saying they do), at this time Donald Trump is 22.2% likely to become President. Odds offered on a betting exchange are 4.50 (or 7:2 odds in English style)

Yes, it's frightening that odds are that close. At 22.2%, if the election were held three times, Trump would be better than 50% to win at least once.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

468 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 468 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. Google