• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Removed from board by host?

#1 User is offline   Harriman S 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-20, 10:48

How about removing players from board on casual gaming? Lately I feel that it happens quite often when I play on casual boards I suddenly get thrown out with a "You have been removed from board by host".

Sometimes after a mistake and sometimes without a obvious reason. It is a little bit annoying as I try to play serious. Of course it is just to join another board but still little bit boring when it happens as I always try to play serious and not being slow. It is just casual board but I still think it is a bit rude to do so even after mistakes or bad playing. My feeling is that it happens more often lately.

Any thought about this?

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-20, 11:59

My suggestion which I repeat here every year or so is that the host should have to select a reason for removing a player and the fact should be registered against both players so that software can flag undesirable trends (hosts who remove frequently for no good reason or players who get removed frequently for good reason).

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-20, 12:36

It's very annoying, the simple solution is to start your own table. Then you are the host and it can't happen.

#4 User is offline   2cool4skl 

• Pip

Posted 2021-March-21, 03:52

Requiring a reason the host is removing a player is a great idea.
Perhaps:
1-the player is being extremely rude
2- the player is just not up to table experience level
3-the player is purposely playing or bidding badly
Give less experiences players a second chance. Maybe a polite
suggestion or two, then send them on their way if they are just
not good enough. But, give your reason for removal.
Players who are not as good as you might be really trying to improve;
or, perhaps they are just messing around and SHOULD be removed.
It is irritating to be suddenly removed for no apparent reason.
Players who are shockingly rude on a regular basis SHOULD be flagged.

#5 User is offline   kannanktyr 

• Pip

Posted 2021-March-21, 04:06

Yes, I did face same problem, unceremoniously shunted out, Is it bc you let others know where you are from

#6 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-March-21, 08:11

View Post2cool4skl, on 2021-March-21, 03:52, said:

Requiring a reason the host is removing a player is a great idea.
Perhaps:
1-the player is being extremely rude
2- the player is just not up to table experience level
3-the player is purposely playing or bidding badly
Give less experiences players a second chance. Maybe a polite
suggestion or two, then send them on their way if they are just
not good enough. But, give your reason for removal.
Players who are not as good as you might be really trying to improve;
or, perhaps they are just messing around and SHOULD be removed.
It is irritating to be suddenly removed for no apparent reason.
Players who are shockingly rude on a regular basis SHOULD be flagged.

Stalling, despite multiple warnings.

As dummy, repeatedly commenting on the bidding or play.

#7 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-21, 12:01

View Postbluenikki, on 2021-March-21, 08:11, said:

Stalling, despite multiple warnings.

As dummy, repeatedly commenting on the bidding or play.

As I put it, I am usually the host. I try NOT to remove players, and generally give warnings. Here are my thoughts.
1. I will give three warnings normally. Upon the third warning, I state "Three strikes and you are OUT!"
2. Passing a forcing bid, repeating a pre-empt, or underleading an ace in a suit contract-no warnings.
3. Zero Tolerance. One warning, and you are out.

#8 User is offline   Harriman S 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-21, 13:36

View PostRD350LC, on 2021-March-21, 12:01, said:

2. Passing a forcing bid, repeating a pre-empt, or underleading an ace in a suit contract-no warnings.

Little bit harsh I think. Mistakes happens and all people do not agree 100% or know what bids are forcing. Like 4NT can be (mis)taken for a kvant invite when the bidder mean Q about aces.

We are talking play on causal tables.

Why not chat about misunderstandings or lack of knowledge instead of just booting without warning?

#9 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-21, 13:45

View PostRD350LC, on 2021-March-21, 12:01, said:

Do you really think an ace underlead is playing to lose????

#10 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-21, 17:20

View Postbluenikki, on 2021-March-21, 13:45, said:

Do you really think an ace underlead is playing to lose????

There have been many times that I, as declairer, taken a singleton king when an ace is underled as opening lead.
So, yes, underleading an ace in a suit contract, is a bad play. It IS ok at NT.

#11 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-21, 17:21

View PostHarriman S, on 2021-March-21, 13:36, said:

Little bit harsh I think. Mistakes happens and all people do not agree 100% or know what bids are forcing. Like 4NT can be (mis)taken for a kvant invite when the bidder mean Q about aces.

We are talking play on causal tables.

Why not chat about misunderstandings or lack of knowledge instead of just booting without warning?

Here, I am talking about passing a 2Club opener (unless you are playing Precision), or passing simple response by an unpassed hand.

#12 User is offline   ThomasRush 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge (?), Toastmasters, wine, people, libertarianism, creating humor, teaching bridge

Posted 2021-March-21, 18:45

I encourage you to find friends, and put together set matches with them -- like inviting three people you know to your home to play bridge, instead of throwing open the front door and shouting, "Any bridge players? Come play with us!"

You can develop better partnerships that way, and improve your game much faster by playing with a known partner. With known opponents, you can take the time to discuss hands afterwards, to uncover better auctions or better lines of play.
He who plants a tree affirms the future

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2021-March-21, 19:51

View PostRD350LC, on 2021-March-21, 17:20, said:

There have been many times that I, as declairer, taken a singleton king when an ace is underled as opening lead.
So, yes, underleading an ace in a suit contract, is a bad play. It IS ok at NT.

There have been a number of times when I have defeated a slam or a game by underleading an ace when cue bidding indicated the K was in dummy. I suggest you have a little more imagination.

"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-March-22, 10:18

So:

Normally two warnings. For what, we don't know, but I assume general unpleasant behaviour. I'm guessing from the rest that my no-go (unsolicited lessons by opponent) goes here.

But only one if it's an ethical thing. That's "Zero Tolerance", it seems.

No warnings however for walking the dog, or making an imaginative bridge play that didn't work this time (some, even if it did work this time). Or passing what poster thought was forcing (I assume it's not as far deep as 1NT-X-2-p, where you have to guess what your agreements are, and some will legitimately guess wrong. Or 2-2; 4NT which is obviously keycard for diamonds[1]. Or 1-p-2-p-p, which is obviously forcing[2]. Or...)

You can be mildly offensive, or one time abusive, but if you can't play bridge to my (refined) level, you're gone. Yeah, that seems like the state of the permanent floating pickup party. And why I don't play in it.

[1] for some people.
[2] for other people, with forcing being in airquotes.

Note: Do I think those bridge plays are good? Of course not. I try to dissuade my "to be regular" partners from this, and explain why. And then, after we're settled and understand what Flight A bridge should be and what each expects from the other, we now get to "you must have a reason for your play. Doesn't matter if it's wrong, as long as it's a good reason". And that includes raising one's own preempt (because this pair is likely to sit in 3, but if they're pushed, they'll bid the good game. Now that they have bid it anyway, though...[3]), the_hog's comment about underleading aces (or, we set this if partner has the king and can switch to the lead through declarer, and I know only one round's cashing), or a miscommunication over whether a particular call was forcing (even to the point of "oops, forgot XYZ" - happens to everyone once when learning).

There's a quote in my history about 1NT-p-2-AP. Partner put down dummy and said "I hope I guessed right this time". She was in fact right - clubs (with her strong 6-carder) played at least one trick better than any other strain. She was also wrong - it was the tenth trick. I am playing with her again Saturday, and I will accept any game she and my life offer me - because she's arguably the best player in the city (less arguably, the 5th in winter/6th in summer), and many more of her imaginative plays are right than wrong. And most importantly, she's pleasant, and as forgiving of my mistakes/imaginative plays.

[3] For this case in particular, most of my partnerships have agreed that double by preempter is "I want to sacrifice". This way, partner can say "I don't..." But that's another thing I wouldn't spring on random pickup partner.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-24, 16:02

View Postmycroft, on 2021-March-22, 10:18, said:

So:

Normally two warnings. For what, we don't know, but I assume general unpleasant behaviour. I'm guessing from the rest that my no-go (unsolicited lessons by opponent) goes here.

But only one if it's an ethical thing. That's "Zero Tolerance", it seems.

No warnings however for walking the dog, or making an imaginative bridge play that didn't work this time (some, even if it did work this time). Or passing what poster thought was forcing (I assume it's not as far deep as 1NT-X-2-p, where you have to guess what your agreements are, and some will legitimately guess wrong. Or 2-2; 4NT which is obviously keycard for diamonds[1]. Or 1-p-2-p-p, which is obviously forcing[2]. Or...)

You can be mildly offensive, or one time abusive, but if you can't play bridge to my (refined) level, you're gone. Yeah, that seems like the state of the permanent floating pickup party. And why I don't play in it.

[1] for some people.
[2] for other people, with forcing being in airquotes.

Note: Do I think those bridge plays are good? Of course not. I try to dissuade my "to be regular" partners from this, and explain why. And then, after we're settled and understand what Flight A bridge should be and what each expects from the other, we now get to "you must have a reason for your play. Doesn't matter if it's wrong, as long as it's a good reason". And that includes raising one's own preempt (because this pair is likely to sit in 3, but if they're pushed, they'll bid the good game. Now that they have bid it anyway, though...[3]), the_hog's comment about underleading aces (or, we set this if partner has the king and can switch to the lead through declarer, and I know only one round's cashing), or a miscommunication over whether a particular call was forcing (even to the point of "oops, forgot XYZ" - happens to everyone once when learning).

There's a quote in my history about 1NT-p-2-AP. Partner put down dummy and said "I hope I guessed right this time". She was in fact right - clubs (with her strong 6-carder) played at least one trick better than any other strain. She was also wrong - it was the tenth trick. I am playing with her again Saturday, and I will accept any game she and my life offer me - because she's arguably the best player in the city (less arguably, the 5th in winter/6th in summer), and many more of her imaginative plays are right than wrong. And most importantly, she's pleasant, and as forgiving of my mistakes/imaginative plays.

[3] For this case in particular, most of my partnerships have agreed that double by preempter is "I want to sacrifice". This way, partner can say "I don't..." But that's another thing I wouldn't spring on random pickup partner.

The idea that I have about zero tolerance is abusive language-by anybody. I give a "zero tolerance warning" (one warning), and then (usually) I have to go with "zero tolerance action", when I remove the player.
Generally, I do not like removing players. For excessively slow players, I give a warning-"Faster please", and do a count down from 5. Sometimes, I have to remove them.
Also, for bad play, I usually give 3 warnings-3 strikes and you are OUT.

#16 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-March-24, 16:32

View PostRD350LC, on 2021-March-24, 16:02, said:

I give a "zero tolerance warning" (one warning)

One tolerance ? B-)

#17 User is offline   Harriman S 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-27, 12:49

Now I got removed again.

Played on casual game. Had 3 HP and 4 clubs. My P opens in clubs and next Op Dbl. I pass. Other Op bid something. My P bids 2 clubs. Op who Dbl bids something.
I took a chance and bid 3 clubs with my 3 HP (K in clubs).
My P bids 5 clubs and makes the contract with some luck.

Got booted direct after result. Obviously they didn't like my bid.

#18 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-March-27, 16:27

View PostHarriman S, on 2021-March-27, 12:49, said:

Now I got removed again.

Played on casual game. Had 3 HP and 4 clubs. My P opens in clubs and next Op Dbl. I pass. Other Op bid something. My P bids 2 clubs. Op who Dbl bids something.
I took a chance and bid 3 clubs with my 3 HP (K in clubs).
My P bids 5 clubs and makes the contract with some luck.

Got booted direct after result. Obviously they didn't like my bid.

Curious to know what they would have supplied as reason.

#19 User is offline   Harriman S 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-28, 10:32

Todays boot and chat after:

g*→Bord: Idiot
→g* (Privat): moron
g* (Privat): LOL go learn beginner bridge IDIOT. Nt tells me NO four major BEGINNER
→g* (Privat): that had been reverse and promised more points
g* (Privat): Bye bye BEGINNER IDIOT
→g* (Privat): Lol. Moron.
g* (Privat): Silly little beginner c u nt

Had 12 HP, 4diamonds, 4 spades, 2 hearts.
I opened 1 diam. P bid 2 heart. I bid 2NT. (hard to know if 2 hearts there is weak or strong with an unknown partner, but it was weak.)

Is this behavior ok? New player will be scared away from BBO meeting this kind of rudeness.

#20 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-March-28, 13:48

No, it's not, and you should report this to abuse@bridgebase.com . They can check the chat logs and deal with it.

This is the kind of nonsense that happens in the permanent pickup pool; they expect you to know exactly how they play, and slag you if you guess wrong. It's odd how these players have trouble finding and keeping partners, and end up in the permanent pickup pool. I Just Can't Understand it.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users