BBO Discussion Forums: Why no penalty for uncommunicative bidder? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why no penalty for uncommunicative bidder?

#1 User is offline   Cicero61 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-September-05, 16:04

When a player makes a bid that needs explanation but has no convention card posted and refuses to explain to the opponents or the director, why is the director not allowed to penalize that team?

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-September-05, 16:30

View PostCicero61, on 2021-September-05, 16:04, said:

When a player makes a bid that needs explanation but has no convention card posted and refuses to explain to the opponents or the director, why is the director not allowed to penalize that team?
Better to post in a laws forum for expert legal advice. As far as I know, the director can insist on an explanation unless the call is undiscussed and the partnership have no agreement (implicit or otherwise).

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-September-06, 16:01

There are limits to what the director can do to penalize someone on BBO.

Clearly the Laws allow for a penalty, but the site does not, unless it is applied after the game.

A director can drop a player, of course, but that's a bit harsh on their partner.

But also note that people have to know there's a question and understand it. Understand is a big deal (witness the repeated "diamonds", when asked about 1-p-2 (what else would I want to know?)); but also note that the chat line is hidden on small phones, and people have absolutely missed my questions before because they just didn't see it. They also don't see the director's comments...

Also remember that while I believe that barring pickup, "no agreement" is incomplete - it's always "no agreement, but" - you are only allowed to know their agreement (such as it is). If they haven't agreed about whatever you're asking about, they don't have to tell you anything about it. That's not "not answering", that's answering, just not with the information you'd hope for.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users