BBO Discussion Forums: What to do now? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What to do now?

#1 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-July-04, 20:15

1 (2) 3* (3)
pass (pass) ?

* shows diamonds, could have been weak with long diamonds intending to pass pard's 3 bid

Pard would have doubled with good hand and honour doubleton support, raised/bid 3NT with a good hand and support, or bid something else with a very good hand without support (like 17 or 18+ hcp). Also if he is balanced he will have 15+ hcp.

xx
Qx
AKQxxxx
xx

double is an action double, 4H is keycard for diamonds, else as obvious.

I tried a double hoping pard with Kx might bid 3nt but it got passed out and we only got 300 instead of 400/420 for our 5D/4H making.
I Transfers

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-July-05, 02:01

View PostQuantumcat, on 2012-July-04, 20:15, said:

4H is keycard for diamonds

This seems like a really bad idea. One of the benefits of transfers in auctions like this is the ability to show a side suit on the way to 4. There are times when Kickback has to be off and the bid should instead be natural.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-05, 12:26

double is a bit agressive, but it is the only way to reach 3NT, I think its the right bid.

#4 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-July-05, 22:03

I agree. I would respond 3 not using transfers. I assume double is the only way to show a sound overcall after the raise? Or does it show tolerance for the remaining suits? Double might be carrying too much a load. I wonder if the possible ambiguity (caused by weak/preemptive, negative freebid, or invitational plus) caused partner to second guess continuing?

Playing against transfer responses this suggests a raise can create ambiguity. Interesting...
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#5 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-July-18, 20:05

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-July-05, 02:01, said:

This seems like a really bad idea. One of the benefits of transfers in auctions like this is the ability to show a side suit on the way to 4. There are times when Kickback has to be off and the bid should instead be natural.

I would have raised hearts right away if I had hearts, therefore I do not have hearts. Our rule for redwood is 4 is only natural if we have never previously had any chance to raise or give preference to hearts prior to the 4 bid. Here I did have a chance.
However if he had bid a new suit 4 would be natural, as it is my first chance to give preference to hearts.
I Transfers

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users