BBO Discussion Forums: Four Color Deck - (see examples shown) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Four Color Deck - (see examples shown)

#1 User is offline   RogerPfi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-September-01, 02:25

A four color deck would be wonderful

Years ago there was a patch to the BBO windows client so that it would show a four color card deck. It only worked on with "small" decks - See example below. It would be so wonderful to have this back properly done with the web clients.

Posted Image

And because of it, when I did my own .lin player and bridge playing app, see this BBO thread -

http://www.bridgebas...dge-playing-app

I was inspired to do the hand diagrams in four colors. Four color hand diagrams would also be wonderful. The image below is a from a BBO .lin file from a Viewgraph presentation (with the players names removed - just for this image)

Posted Image

And even if this never happens a big thank you to all the BBO people.

--
Roger

#2 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-September-01, 02:44

Please make sure that any implementation like this is only an option. Color should usually be limited to a decorative role since a significant (1 in 12 men) number of men have color blindness of some sort.
For me, at least this color scheme does work - but the four color scheme used in posts here is a real problem. But, there are four significant versions of color blindness, so it is difficult to find a scheme that does not cause problems to at least some men (color blindness is sex specific and the ladies are generally spared).
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#3 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-01, 02:51

View PostRogerPfi, on 2013-September-01, 02:25, said:

A four color deck would be wonderful

I was inspired to do the hand diagrams in four colors. Four color hand diagrams would also be wonderful. The image below is a from a BBO .lin file from a Viewgraph presentation (with the players names removed - just for this image)

Posted Image

And even if this never happens a big thank you to all the BBO people.

--
Roger

I find that your failure to include the suit symbols in the hand diagrams is particularly cruel. Those of us with color blindness need the shape information to make up for the colors that we cannot distinguish (thanks for including those symbols on the played cards).

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-September-01, 02:59

OMG, blue diamonds? Seriously?

Hearts red, diamonds orange, clubs green and spades either black or blue, please.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   RogerPfi 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-September-01, 03:51

View PostBillHiggin, on 2013-September-01, 02:51, said:

I find that your failure to include the suit symbols in the hand diagrams is particularly cruel. Those of us with color blindness need the shape information to make up for the colors that we cannot distinguish (thanks for including those symbols on the played cards).

Your wish is my command, it is an option in the software. I added the option because in the UK it is standard NOT to print any symbols when showing bridge hands in newspapers, after a while you just get to rely on all black text and the standard suit order.

Posted Image

--
Roger

#6 User is offline   RogerPfi 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-September-01, 04:13

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-September-01, 02:59, said:

Hearts red, diamonds orange, clubs green and spades either black or blue, please.

Ahh -

Spades - black . . . Hearts - red . . . Diamonds - Blue . . . Clubs - green

that's how them make 'em these days. [Sigh] I did not choose the colors.

here is a BRIDGE DECK

Posted Image

here is a POKER DECK

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-02, 17:20

I wonder why they chose different colors from standard bidding boxes?

#8 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-02, 17:23

It makes sense to keep black for one of the suits. Possibly the diamonds are blue because red and orange look too much alike? The result feels bizarre to me, since now there are effectively three "black" suits and one red, but my color vision is unimpaired AFAIK so I'm speaking from a position of privilege here.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#9 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-02, 19:00

Blue is the color least likely to cause problems to color blind people.
The light green clubs and the orange diamonds used in this forum are absolutely horrid choices (for me) as they can just disappear in small font sizes.

When I first started playing bridge online, I found a site that indicated vulnerability with light green or light red coloring - I had to use colored cellophane to distinguish them (until I figured out how to customize the colors).

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-September-03, 00:54

View PostRogerPfi, on 2013-September-01, 04:13, said:

that's how them make 'em these days. [Sigh] I did not choose the colors.

I refuse to be held ransom to the whims of your local playing card producers. In my part of the world we have orange diamonds, and orange diamonds is what I want!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   RogerPfi 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-September-03, 02:51

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-September-03, 00:54, said:

I refuse to be held ransom to the whims of your local playing card producers. In my part of the world we have orange diamonds, and orange diamonds is what I want!

Actually the producers are both in the US (not my part of the world at all). :)

You make a good point (as programmer) I know that once it is decided to add an optional feature it is almost no extra effort to make it 'rich' with multiple choices.

So now all we need to do is to encourage the 'BBO decision makers' to think favourably on this idea.

Any suggestions as to how?

--
Roger

#12 User is offline   RogerPfi 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-September-03, 02:55

View Postbarmar, on 2013-September-02, 17:20, said:

I wonder why they chose different colors from standard bidding boxes?

Bidding boxes were coming into the UK in the mid 80's around the time I stopped playing bridge. I know four color decks existed then and just like today they are/were hardly ever used.

I guess the BB makers were just making their product relate to the "standard cards" we know and love (or hate).

--
Roger

#13 User is offline   RogerPfi 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-September-24, 04:50

View Postmgoetze, on 2013-September-01, 02:59, said:

As you asked I have added this as an option to aaBridge

Posted Image

The aaBridge thread is here -

http://www.bridgebas...__gopid__755098

--
Roger

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users