BBO Discussion Forums: passed hand in duplicate? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +

passed hand in duplicate? do you have to bid in 4th seat?

#21 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-November-22, 15:52

ArtK78, on 2013-November-22, 08:58, said:

I can't believe that there are discussions of insufficient bids after 7NTxx.

The fact is that the auction does continue, and it ends with three passes.

For a while I assumed that everyone knew this, but from the later posts, I am not so sure.

It seems far from obvious that this would be the case. Why would the rules of duplicate bridge allow for a situation whose only possible outcome is irregularity? It may be well be the case that the auction "continues", I'm not familiar with the rule, but to act as if it's common sense is pretty far fetched.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#22 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-November-22, 16:30

RSClyde, on 2013-November-22, 15:52, said:

It seems far from obvious that this would be the case. Why would the rules of duplicate bridge allow for a situation whose only possible outcome is irregularity? It may be well be the case that the auction "continues", I'm not familiar with the rule, but to act as if it's common sense is pretty far fetched.

Obviously you are not familiar with this rule. That is why I provided it for you.

As Law 22A(2) states that the auction does not end until there are three consecutive passes after the most recent bid, it is clear that the redouble of 7NT does not end the auction. In the case of 7NTxx, the most recent bid is 7NT, and there have not been three consecutive passes until they occur after the redouble. Until that happens, the auction has not ended.

The only possible outcome is not an irregularity. The only possible legal outcome is three consecutive passes. And then the auction is over.

I don't see why that troubles you.

#23 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-22, 22:55

ArtK78, on 2013-November-22, 16:30, said:

Obviously you are not familiar with this rule. That is why I provided it for you.

As Law 22A(2) states that the auction does not end until there are three consecutive passes after the most recent bid, it is clear that the redouble of 7NT does not end the auction. In the case of 7NTxx, the most recent bid is 7NT, and there have not been three consecutive passes until they occur after the redouble. Until that happens, the auction has not ended.

The only possible outcome is not an irregularity. The only possible legal outcome is three consecutive passes. And then the auction is over.

I can bid an insufficient 1 and the opponents have the right to accept it. That's a legal outcome.

Right Syde Clyde

#24 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-22, 23:04

RSClyde, on 2013-November-22, 22:55, said:

ArtK78, on 2013-November-22, 16:30, said:

The only possible legal outcome is three consecutive passes. And then the auction is over.

I can bid an insufficient 1 and the opponents have the right to accept it. That's a legal outcome.

And that still must be followed by three consecutive passes to end the auction. I also don't see why this troubles you.

#25 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-22, 23:14

Bbradley62, on 2013-November-22, 23:04, said:

And that still must be followed by three consecutive passes to end the auction. I also don't see why this troubles you.

That's probably because you snipped out most of the quote that I was responding to voiding it of context. So let me walk you through it slowly:
Art claimed that the only possible legal outcome following a 7ntXX bid was 3 consecutive passes. I pointed out that this is not the case because an insufficient bid could be made and accepted, and yes, it would still need to be agreed by 3 passes, what happened after the insufficient bid was not the point.

Right Syde Clyde

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-23, 01:31

sfi, on 2013-November-21, 22:48, said:

There's always the option of an insufficient bid to continue the auction...

Or of a bid of 8 of something, or another double or redouble.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-23, 04:56

Let me explain why I find this so strange:

Let's start with computers:
If we designed a computerized bridge program, then we could prevent insufficient bids entirely. You can't make an insufficient bid on BBO or bridge baron. Now how any specific system happens to be designed is irrelevant. But I believe we'd all agree that there is no reason to design a bridge program to accept (or give opponents an option to accept) illegitimate calls. Just like it would make no sense to allow for revokes or leads out of turn. Thus when playing on such a system, 7ntXX ends the auction at the point that the bid is made. Why? Because no other contract is possible. It is meaningless to say "you still have to pass," because you have no other choice. When playing a game statements like rolling a one sided di, or flipping a two headed coin, are meaningless. You are logically doing nothing. Such is the case here. Most existing programs probably don't have it built into their design to make a special exception here and not prompt you, but again, how a specific program happens to be designed is irrelevant.

In real life:
You do have insufficient bids, revokes and leads out of turn. No one really wants this to be "part of the game," this is just a logistical hurdle of playing by manipulating cards physically rather than electronically. So now when 3nt is reached, it is still possible to play in 1H. Because when offered the chance to bid over 3nt, something that you must have a legal option to do, an irregularity occurs. By contrast, there is no reason to give someone a chance to bid over 7ntXX because they have only one legitimate call. The only purpose it can serve is to allow an insufficient bid. I'm not saying that's the only possible outcome, but it's the only alternative to simply saying that 7ntXX ends the auction. Since, irregularities aren't really a part of the game that anyone wants, it seems weird to give someone the chance to commit one, when they didn't technically have a decision to make anyway.

Right Syde Clyde

#28 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-November-23, 05:31

When playing on BBO and the auction reaches 7NTXX the interface only gives you one call to "choose" from, but you still have to click "Pass" to move on with the game. Just as you have to click your 13th card to play trick 13 and finish the play.

There is an autoplay singletons option which presumably make trick 13 automatic. There could be an auto-Pass over 7NT for players for whom Double/Redouble is inadmissible: this would make the auction over 7NTXX automatic.

But face-to-face and online there is a point to making players pass over 7NT: Law 25A and UNDOs.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#29 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-25, 08:08

Gosh I thought the 7NTxx thing was just a bit of humor. Why so serious?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#30 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-25, 17:29

billw55, on 2013-November-25, 08:08, said:

Gosh I thought the 7NTxx thing was just a bit of humor. Why so serious?

This thread, with the exception of the posts directly relevant to the OP, is probably the most boring one in BBO history.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#31 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-26, 05:19

Vampyr, on 2013-November-25, 17:29, said:

This thread, with the exception of the posts directly relevant to the OP, is probably the most boring one in BBO history.

You clearly haven't seen the climate change thread.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#32 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-November-26, 06:38

broze, on 2013-November-26, 05:19, said:

You clearly haven't seen the climate change thread.

Actually I did look at it once years ago. I stand corrected.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#33 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-26, 11:51

Vampyr, on 2013-November-25, 17:29, said:

You're not helping. :P

(Yes, I know I'm not either. :rolleyes: )
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#34 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-26, 18:36

billw55, on 2013-November-22, 07:09, said:

While you were there, did they have any arguments over what is or isn't a psyche?

Yes, the club defined it as a deviation of more than a queen in strength or one card in length from the convention card (or SA in no card was filled out--the usual case) as a psychic -- but preempts could not be a card short of the expected length. Weak two on five cards a bridge felony in the club's eyes :o Like I said, I needed the money.

#35 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-November-27, 07:04

mikestar13, on 2013-November-26, 18:36, said:

but preempts could not be a card short of the expected length.

So the Robson-Segal suggested 1st seat 3 opening of 7532 J63 4 QJT94 would be right out then? Surely the expected length refers to our agreements rather than to the agreements that the TD thinks we should choose...
(-: Zel :-)

#36 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-27, 08:44

No, no. It refers to the agreements your opponents think you should choose. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#37 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-November-27, 09:01

blackshoe, on 2013-November-27, 08:44, said:

No, no. It refers to the agreements your opponents think you should choose. :P

I think my opponents should bid 7NT with any hand of less than 20hcp and pass otherwise; and redouble from 7NT bidder's partner shows 0-10. I will play their system if they play mine. :P
(-: Zel :-)

#38 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-27, 16:04

Usually the bidding box has run out of pass cards by the time that you reach 7NTXX. I am just pleased to have an opportunity to stop.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#39 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-27, 23:23

Zelandakh, on 2013-November-27, 07:04, said:

So the Robson-Segal suggested 1st seat 3 opening of 7532 J63 4 QJT94 would be right out then? Surely the expected length refers to our agreements rather than to the agreements that the TD thinks we should choose...

Exactly--no one in the club had ever dared try it, but I expect the club's card committee was have banned the offending party for at least a year. Expected length was per the CC (if filled out) for other bids; for preempts, it 6 cards for a weak 2 and seven cards for 3... illegal to agree to open a shorter suit. A partnership could agree to a longer minimum suit length if properly disclosed (God knows why they would want to.) Truth is, these folks really wanted everyone to play 1950's Goren, but they very grudgingly accepted some innovations/heresies from up to about 1970. Quote from one of the players (excellent at declarer play, good defender, unimaginative bidder) -- "I never opened a weak two in my life!"

#40 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-November-28, 03:32

I don't see anything wrong with a club choosing to have whatever rules they want -- provided, of course, that they are not affiliated to an NBO or other organisation.

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users