• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unkucky? or just unwise?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-10, 07:20

MP, best hand South.

Not intended as a bug report, this (unless perhaps you think it should be). I have some sympathies for both East and West, And yet, the result. Just unlucky (for E/W)?

Would GIB do the same at IMP?

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 09:54

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-May-10, 07:20, said:

MP, best hand South.

Not intended as a bug report, this (unless perhaps you think it should be). I have some sympathies for both East and West, And yet, the result. Just unlucky (for E/W)?

Would GIB do the same at IMP?

I think it is unlucky.

Look at this very similar deal....
MP, best hand South.

#3 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 16:44

View PosthotShot, on 2014-May-10, 09:54, said:

I think it is unlucky.

I think so.

This kind of thing happen less and less, after all.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-May-10, 16:48

View PosthotShot, on 2014-May-10, 09:54, said:

I think it is unlucky.

Look at this very similar deal....
MP, best hand South.

Yes, well, double dummy, this example still makes 2S on any lead, with an overtrick on an Heart lead or King of Clubs.

And let's face it, on the bidding you are playing it virtually double dummy, even at the table.

So I am not sure what point is being made. It may yet be just unlucky, but this does really illustrate it.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-May-10, 17:11

Or maybe there are even some examples that don't include South having opened 1NT with a good 6-card major :blink:

#6 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 17:21

I give GIB credit for good bidding here I would have taken the same action with both hands.

#7 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 18:25

Ruffing 5 is unnecessary since Gib N know exactly Gib W have KPosted Image

Can you tell me this play is lucky or wise?

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-May-10, 23:52

View Postlycier, on 2014-May-10, 18:25, said:

Ruffing 5 is unnecessary since Gib N know exactly Gib W have KPosted Image

Can you tell me this play is lucky or wise?

One of the rules that the mods try to maintain for this subforum is to limit one hand report per thread. I think that additional examples are permitted if they illustrate the same problem as the OP. This hand is worthy of GIB criticism but for an entirely different reason. The OP hand was entirely about the bidding. This hand is entirely about the play.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-May-10, 23:54

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-May-10, 17:11, said:

Or maybe there are even some examples that don't include South having opened 1NT with a good 6-card major :blink:

I did worry whether this was a contributory factor. But then I thought, well I have just one more H than promised, but I have a Q less than I might have held, and I did make an overtrick (and still make an overtrick on Hotshot's hand on the same lead).

#10 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-11, 00:20

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-May-10, 16:48, said:

Yes, well, double dummy, this example still makes 2S on any lead, with an overtrick on an Heart lead or King of Clubs.

And let's face it, on the bidding you are playing it virtually double dummy, even at the table.

So I am not sure what point is being made. It may yet be just unlucky, but this does really illustrate it.

Well I thought that AQ K AQ and K would be enough for 6 tricks but I guess there is a drop somewhere to limit it to 5 loser.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users