• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#741 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-November-26, 14:53

one of the problems with cellphones is that people hear a very quiet speaker, so their brain says "need to be loud, or they can't hear me either"; I can be next to a table having a conversation that I don't even notice, and then as soon as the phone comes out, I can hear every word. Yes, it's a halfalogue, but it's *louder* than the conversation.

You can train yourself out of that instinct, but it takes it being pointed out.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#742 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-26, 15:23

View Postmycroft, on 2013-November-26, 11:21, said:

So, yeah, I get that one.

I do too, though I don't try to figure out what the music is. It is just annoying, and unlike other noises, it is right next to your ear if you are unlucky enough to have one of those loud-headphone-people in the next seat.

And it's a very unpleasant noise, too. (LOL I had this on the Tube about half an hour ago).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#743 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-November-26, 16:38

"Funniest autocorrect fails" compilations. More than the utter fakeness and boringness that they represent, I am most annoyed by how many people seem to think that they are somehow the best sort of internet humour.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#744 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-26, 22:23

Oh, so you prefer image macros and rage comics? THOSE are, quite literally, the antithesis of humor.

While I'm ranting about this, there's a whole brand of modern humor where the mere fact you know the subject matter is somehow supposed to be funny. I gave up on understanding it after a local TV program had a "sketch" about angry birds that was basically a puppet play about how the birds and the pigs try to sign a peace agreement or something. They did the voices pretty well, but there were no jokes. It was just those characters thrown in a random setting without any satire value or observation any surprise or utterly anything at all that counts as humor.
Naturally the thing went viral - you might've even seen it. I asked several people what's funny about it, and thus earned the coveted status of the world's biggest douche, but no understanding of this trend. Then I gave up, people are clearly enjoying themselves using templates for humor in lieu of wit.

#745 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-November-27, 04:49

View PostAntrax, on 2013-November-26, 22:23, said:

Oh, so you prefer image macros and rage comics? THOSE are, quite literally, the antithesis of humor.

I don't prefer one over another but I get more peeved by the fake autocorrect pictures.
      George Carlin

#746 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-27, 05:00

people posting text as images on facebook
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#747 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-November-27, 10:20

View PostVampyr, on 2013-November-26, 15:23, said:

I do too, though I don't try to figure out what the music is.

Not consciously. But there's a part of your brain that's always on the lookout for sounds that might be pertinent (it's the part that helps you immediately recognize someone calling your name, or the voice of a family member in as crowd). It's constantly trying to figure out if there's anything important in ambient sounds, so that it can draw your attention to them. When there's something that almost sounds recognizable, it energizes to try to figure out if it's meaningful or noise.

None of this is conscious, but it gets reflected in the feeling of annoyance.

#748 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-November-28, 00:41

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-November-27, 05:00, said:

people posting text as images on facebook

This annoyed me as well, but there is a reason behind it, facebook promotes image's status over text ones or something like Its more facebook's fault.

Worse for me is not being able to translate some text in a nordic language.

#749 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2013-November-28, 00:45

Spannish assholes translating 'remove' as 'remover' (which means to move repeatedly normaly in a cooking context, IOW to stir), I see this so frequently it drives me crazy. And its far from being at user level, companies do it constantly.

#750 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-November-29, 11:44

In my new place of employment, roughly 20% of the people I work with have an annoying habit of adding a superfluous "right" at the end of sentences. Technically it should be followed by a question mark, but the person isn't actually pausing to ask a question, since the stream-of-consciousness is not abated. By inserting "right", the speaker appears to seek concurrence, but in fact its a monologue.

Put into bridgespeak, it would sound like this:

"You're in 4 and the opening lead is a trump, so the first thing you do is count tricks, right. Working on a long suit is a key theme to these hands, so knock out the A now, right. Regain the lead, ruff one the heart loser, right".

So annoying.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#751 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-November-29, 11:56

Do you work anywhere near the San Fernando Valley?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#752 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-November-29, 11:59

Right!
I have a friend who heavily overuses "In other words". Conversation:

Me: It's about time for lunch.
Friend: In other words you are saying you are getting hungry.
Me: Yes. I am thinking of going to the deli, want to join me?
Friend: In other words, you might get a sandwich and would like me to come along.

Right.
Ken

#753 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 12:45

BTW, I guess we actally all more or less have certain phrases that we pretty much sort of misuse, you know.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#754 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-November-29, 15:45

So, there was like this guy, right, who like was totally into me, right, and he was like "Hey." And I was like "Hey." And, like,...

I have to admit that even with my love of the flexibility of the English language, this particular phrasing (which is old enough, at least in the "was like" == "said" form, for managers to be using it from childhood) really annoys me. And if you think I'm exaggerating above, I was in a line for food at a hockey game, and I counted 20 "likes" in the conversation in front of me in about a minute, including 6, like, in one like sentence.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#755 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-June-28, 23:43

'They have good players but not a team' said like it is some great deep wisdom, never heard before.

'The lottery/tragedy of penalties.' No, tossing a coin would be a lottery. Your inane alternatives are tragical. Penalty shootouts are fun and there is very real skill involved on both sides, not just nerves. And what's wrong with nerves anyway? Boo hoo.
      George Carlin

#756 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-29, 06:38

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-November-29, 12:45, said:

BTW, I guess we actally all more or less have certain phrases that we pretty much sort of misuse, you know.

Rik

FYP.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#757 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-June-30, 06:41

Replying to "X is a jerk." with "He has always been nice to me." as if it disproved the former statement.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#758 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-June-30, 07:17

The classic Reganism: "Stay the course."

Ronald Reagan used this phrase once to mean exactly the opposite of what it actually means, and it is adopted by the populace without thinking.

How many people still know that "Stay the course" means to stop and change, not to continue onward unchanged?

EDIT: After all these years, I was very sure about this. I no longer am, having checked some sources that actually agree with Reagan's interpretation of the phrase.

#759 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-June-30, 07:47

View PostArtK78, on 2014-June-30, 07:17, said:

The classic Reganism: "Stay the course."

Ronald Reagan used this phrase once to mean exactly the opposite of what it actually means, and it is adopted by the populace without thinking.

How many people still know that "Stay the course" means to stop and change, not to continue onward unchanged?

Depends on context. It's meant to keep on going in a horse racing context for 150 years+, and many people used it for that long before Reagan.

#760 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 08:09

View Postgwnn, on 2014-June-28, 23:43, said:

'The lottery/tragedy of penalties.' No, tossing a coin would be a lottery. Your inane alternatives are tragical. Penalty shootouts are fun and there is very real skill involved on both sides, not just nerves. And what's wrong with nerves anyway? Boo hoo.

I am curious, what proposed alternatives are you referring to?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users