BBO Discussion Forums: Passed hand splinter - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Passed hand splinter

Poll: Passed hand splinter (35 member(s) have cast votes)

What now?

1. RDbl (1st round control) (16 votes [45.71%])

Percentage of vote: 45.71%

2. Pass (waiting) (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

3. 4H (last train - what does it mean here?) (6 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

4. 4S (signoff) (12 votes [34.29%])

Percentage of vote: 34.29%

5. 4NT (RKC) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. something else - please explain (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-03, 17:42

I would cooperate and XX. I don't think partner can ever bid RKC since they've so narrowly defined their hand, they can either bid 4 or 4 to show a good or bad hand. 4 here shouldn't definitely be about hearts I don't think.

Heck, partner could have a lot of hands with 5 (or more) spades too, xxxxx, Kxxxx, x, Ax or something like that, there's nothing that says he only has 4 spades.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#22 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-February-04, 04:58

View Postkgr, on 2011-February-03, 10:50, said:

5=No -control; extra's. (Eg K and AK)

Why AK? Isn't A enough when we show extra's? Opener already showed slam interest by redoubling. Can you have something like Kxxx-QJxx-x-Axxx (or even 5 s) for example? 5-level is safe, but you just want to deny a control and show a control.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#23 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-04, 07:49

View PostFree, on 2011-February-04, 04:58, said:

Why AK? Isn't A enough when we show extra's? Opener already showed slam interest by redoubling. Can you have something like Kxxx-QJxx-x-Axxx (or even 5 s) for example? 5-level is safe, but you just want to deny a control and show a control.

Maybe I'm too much influenced by the actual hand (which I think is not enough to encourage partner too much and bid 5) and maybe you are tight that the hand you show is good enough to bid 5.

#24 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-04, 08:46

View PostFree, on 2011-January-31, 07:13, said:

Your call?

Is partner allowed to hold

Kxxxx
Kxx
x
KJxx

oh wait that is an opening hand now-a-days! :) You are allowed to be a human being, call XX and over 4 call 5!

edited after I read the voting options
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-04, 11:03

View Postpooltuna, on 2011-February-04, 08:46, said:

Is partner allowed to hold

Kxxxx
Kxx
x
KJxx

oh wait that is an opening hand now-a-days! :) You are allowed to be a human being, call XX and over 4 call 5!

edited after I read the voting options

Yes pd is allowed to hold this, but it is a hand of wish, a wish where KJ is more valuable than A, a wish where pd holding bad trumps is more valuable than holding good ones.

He is also allowed to hold;

KQxx
KQxx
x
Txxx

KJxx
Qxxx
x
Axxx

KQJx
JTxx
x
Kxxx

QJxx
Kxx
x
Axxxx

When he lays down these hands, we still have play at 5 level, regardless how good or bad our chances are to make, wouldnt u prefer to be in 4 ? In order to make an adventurous move to 5 level here, one must believe the hands that makes slam are more enough than the hands that risks the game.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-04, 11:39

View PostMrAce, on 2011-February-04, 11:03, said:

Yes pd is allowed to hold this, but it is a hand of wish, a wish where KJ is more valuable than A, a wish where pd holding bad trumps is more valuable than holding good ones.

He is also allowed to hold;

KQxx
KQxx
x
Txxx

KJxx
Qxxx
x
Axxx

KQJx
JTxx
x
Kxxx

QJxx
Kxx
x
Axxxx

When he lays down these hands, we still have play at 5 level, regardless how good or bad our chances are to make, wouldnt u prefer to be in 4 ? In order to make an adventurous move to 5 level here, one must believe the hands that makes slam are more enough than the hands that risks the game.

agree that trying for slam is optimistic but definitely a place to try for a swing hand if you need it
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#27 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-February-04, 12:53

I had the passed hand splinter: KQxxx-xxxx-J-AT8. Partner ReDoubled on 4, I bid 5, and partner bid 6 thinking I showed AK. Imo 5 only shows A.

After the hand, I thought RDbl was a really bad choice. Way too few s and too many s. The passed hand's strength is the ruffing value and opposite Ax you only utilize 1 of the trumps. Also, you need to get rid of a few s and a . There are many perfect hands, but is there a decent way to investigate?
I wasn't perfectly happy with my own choice as well. With 2 keycards, an extra trump, and trump Q I thought I had to do something else than signoff over RDbl (which must show slam interest, otherwise just signoff). 4 would've been last train, but what would it mean? It would probably just transfer the problem to partner, and we might end up in slam with 2 or more quick losers in . So I bid 5 thinking it just showed a nice offensive hand with a 1st round control and a problem in . Still, there's no room to figure out if responder has K as well.

All opinions are welcome!
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#28 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-04, 13:27

View PostFree, on 2011-February-04, 12:53, said:

I had the passed hand splinter: KQxxx-xxxx-J-AT8. Partner ReDoubled on 4........

..... Still, there's no room to figure out if responder has K as well.

All opinions are welcome!

There is a way to find out about the K ... by inference :

After Opener's RDBL ( showing the Ace),

Responder can bid 4S ( denying a Ctrl )...

Then, Opener goes RKC, even w/o a Ctrl... because partner must have points there with no red suit features:

4NT - 5S ( 2 + sQ ) = 9 hp... if Responder had the K as well, he would have Opened !
pass
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#29 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2011-February-04, 17:16

Opposite a passed hand I am willing to bid 4S to end the auction (hopefully). Opposite an unpassed hand XX to show the ace is my usual system, and I have no complaint with anybody who does the same here.

#30 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-05, 05:30

At our table there was no DBL and it did go:
Pass
1S-3D (3D=10-11 with some shortage somewhere)
3H-4D (4=asking; 4D=singleton)
4H-5C
6S
- I think at your table: You have a bad hand (with too many pts in S) and you better bid 4S iso 5C.
- I think that 4H at my table and RDBL at your table was optimistic, but OK.
- I think that 6S at both tables was unnecessary. Both could have bid 5S or 5H. That should be an invite here. Responder would then bid on with SK and CAK.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users