Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TO Double

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-07, 23:39

What is your bid here? (If you would bid differently between IMPs and MP, please explain why)

Now, assume the bidding continues after you passing: (P)-2-(P)
What would you bid?

Now, assume the bidding continues after you bidding 2: (P)-3-(P)
What would you bid?
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-08, 00:20

Pass over 2

Pass over 2

I have no working card for pd. Being non vulnerable makes my decision easy.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-April-08, 04:16

pass 2 because most my hcp are in the wrong suit

over 2 I try 3NT because pard has like 18-19 hcp. Also, I think I might manage to establish the hearts leaving opener on play.

#4 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-08, 04:45

I like 2. It will often make.

#5 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-08, 04:49

2, then 3NT over 3.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-April-08, 05:00

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-April-08, 04:16, said:

pass 2 because most my hcp are in the wrong suit

over 2 I try 3NT because pard has like 18-19 hcp. Also, I think I might manage to establish the hearts leaving opener on play.

Not even 2 NT eh ? :P

I confess i was too pessimistic with my pass on 2. Lets compromise at 2 NT :)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-April-09, 02:57

I would pass then bid 2N

#8 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2011-April-09, 09:37

2S the first time for me, though I am prepared to be wrong. I think I have to drop 3H though - among hands with which I'd make a free bid, this is worth a lot less in hearts than almost all of them.

#9 User is offline   hatchett 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-09, 10:53

I would pass and 2NT. No fitting honor, probably only one stop.

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-April-09, 12:59

Pass and then 2N. I think my diamond stopper is more relevant than Jxxx.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-April-09, 13:33

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-April-09, 02:57, said:

I would pass then bid 2N

Same here.

2 is a wild overbid, as is a delayed 3NT. Simple P...2NT seems almost too much, but passing twice with all of this stuff seems chicken.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#12 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-09, 14:32

View PostSiegmund, on 2011-April-09, 09:37, said:

2S the first time for me, though I am prepared to be wrong. I think I have to drop 3H though - among hands with which I'd make a free bid, this is worth a lot less in hearts than almost all of them.

Normally, a 3H bid is forcing here. Double-and-bid after partner showed values with a freebid is forcing. (Of course, that kind of assumes not making a freebid with an effective 2-count.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-April-09, 22:17

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-April-09, 13:33, said:

Same here.

2 is a wild overbid, as is a delayed 3NT. Simple P...2NT seems almost too much, but passing twice with all of this stuff seems chicken.

+1

ARE U CALLING ME A CHICKEN KEN ???
|
|
|
|
|
V

:P Kidding m8, i know i was chicken on that one :)

#14 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2011-April-10, 17:49

pass and 2nt obvious for me
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#15 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2011-April-10, 23:25

2 the first time. The level I want to compete to, if partner has an ordinary TO-double.

3NT. Not that I feel confident, but it's game after all. (And 3 is probably forcing anyway, in which case there is really no other option.)

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#16 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2011-April-11, 06:05

As I've been playings seriously for 6 months I may be a bit off-beam here but this is how I would figure out what to bid.

Assuming opps are playing SAYC then 1 probably shows 4 diamonds and no 5-card major. The raise to 2 also suggests 4 or even 5 Diamonds to guard against the unlikely event that opener has 4432 distribution. 2 also suggests that opp is weak and doesn't have a 4-card major. So ops could be looking at about 15-18 points. Its therefore unlikely that partner has more than about 16 points.

This means that partner is likely to be something like 4414 or possibly (43)15 or even 4405. With 6 clubs and a lot of points partner would probably bid 2C. If we are in spades a lead of a diamond may give me an early rough and/or a later discard with the King so I would upgrade my hand a bit.

With that in mind I would go with 2 and leave parter to assume that I don't have 4 hearts and as he hasn't opened 1 heart I assume he doesn't have 5 and so at worst will do is put me in to 3.

#17 User is offline   Yu18772 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-12, 02:20

On the first round it looks +/- 20-20 for us and them.
So, at MP I would bid 2 the first round - it will either push them to 3, or I may go down 1 or 2, but -100 is generally a good score in MP, and 2 is not going to be doubled (I am not sure they are going down in 2 by the way, the opener may hold a decent hand). 3 seems forcing, 16-20 and good hearts, so 3NT, but its a guess and 4 may be just as good of a contract or better.
I am just describing my hand at this point because partner took control and hope for the best ....... I am not convinced my stopper is a double stopper and in 3NT there are no entrances to my hand to make finesses, so it is not going to be an easy contract unless partner has running suit.

At IMP pass the first round (the ops are less likely to compte for partscore, and it is not as important. Also, if partner happens to have a good hand, I dont want him to get excited, as he will be pushing for games). After 2, assuming partner is 18-20 and you are allowed to pass with lousy hand, I will start with 2NT the second which is exactly my hand - I dont think p will pass 2NT - I just want to let him bid again, if he has extra hearts or 4 spades - may be 4major would be better. If partner passes 2NT or signs off in 3 in IMP NV vs vul he knows what he is doing and we probably shouldn't be any higher.....
Posted Image
Yehudit Hasin

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users