Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to overcalls How to respond when not playing transfers

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-20, 11:13

Many people play fairly wide range simple overcalls, and this issue exists for them, the point ranges of the two hands will adjust depending on what range you play, but the total point count between them is what's important.

Say you would overcall 2 over 1 at the relevant vulnerability with an 8 point range between a hand too bad to overcall and one so strong you'd double.

The hand opposite is 4423 with no heart stop, and enough strength to take the combined holdings into the 21-28 range. How do you handle this ?

We don't play transfers and realised this was an issue after one that worked out fine at the weekend but might not have done.

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-20, 12:08

Show a good diamond raise and hope for the best.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2011-April-21, 01:50

I like English-style UCBs - unassuming cue-bids - combined with change of suit non-forcing, as advocated in Mike Lawrence's books.

The cue has to work hard, acting as a takeout double, a good raise and a force in an unbid suit.
After (1) - 2 - (no) - ?

Advancer might have

AJxx xxx xx AQxx, or

Kxx xx Kxxx AQxx, or

AQJxxx xx x AQxx

With the last one, there is a strong case for 2 being forcing (after a 2-level overcall) though that hampers weakish hand swith long spades.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-April-21, 12:58

An English-style UCB guarantees a fit for partner's suit. The style you mention is not widely practised in England. I think simplest is to treat the auction somewhat similarly to a constructive one but essentially transfer 3-4 hcp from Advancer to Overcaller. There are better ways of course, of which transfer advances is one.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users