All problems are IMP scoring

(1) Dealer West, Both Vul

98xxx Kxx KQ 10xx

W      N      E      S
   P     1D      P     1S
  3H     4C      P      ?

(2) Dealer South, E/W Vul

9x Q108x KJ109xxx ---

What do you open? If you pass, LHO will open 1, partner will double, and RHO will pass. What then?

(3) Dealer East, Both Vul

10 AJ109xxx 10 KJ10x

East opens a "nebulous" Precision 1 (2+, variety of hand types; limited to a bad 16 points). Your call.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-23, 17:43

4D
I open 3D
4H
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-23, 22:43

Agree manudude03.
4D. Let partner have his fun.
3D. Hate preempt with 4xM, but 4xH -
not 4xS (our H-fit won't outbid opponents Spades).
4H. What else with 1=7=1=4? This is rare shape. Bid it.

#4 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-23, 23:23

On (2) I would open 4. Hate 3 a lot - Dealer, w/r, 74 shape, what do you want?
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-24, 01:50

1-4

2- i would open 4 but now i bid 2 over dbl.

3-4
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-24, 05:02

Hand 1 is interesting. Why are people bidding 4D, we have a club fit and only maybe a diamond fit? We also have two quite useful cards, plus one card that might be useful. I´m thinking about bidding 5C.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#7 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2011-April-24, 10:27

1) 5. Again a class A non-problem. (With a real weak director, I might try 3, and then correct to 4NT, which partner is forced to pass.)

2)4. Can't really say what amazes me most; pass pr 3.If I pass and partner double 1 it's 5. The opponents has spades, it doesn't matter which red suit we play at the 5-level. (Yes I know that partner actually had a strong balanced or semi-balanced hand, but I'm still only in the advanced bracket, so resulting is not allowed for me at this forum.)

3)1. 4???? Partner isn't passed and all are red. It's important to have some accuracy here. If partner has something to say, he will have at least one chance, and maybe more, before they reach many spades. After a 4 bid, if opps. get to 4 in any way, I'll have to pass, but might miss an excellent save, or even a making 5.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-24, 11:52

1) Agree with 4D - who says opener has 5 clubs? He might even have a good hand in support of spades (4C being a cue). Bid 4D and let partner tell you what he actually has (with 4S, 5C or 5D).

2) Hate the pre-empt in 1st with a 4cM. I'll pass for now. 1S - double - p - ... hmm, 2S seems practical because there's like a 90% chance we have a heart fit. 5D is also practical but a bit too unilateral.

3) 4H

ahydra

#9 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-April-25, 02:58

Pass & 3

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-April-25, 09:30

1. 5. I could be convinced a choice of games probe of 4 is better. I'm not stopping below game.

2. Agree with pass because (in no particular order):

- we have a doubleton spade (thus diminishing their chances of having spades)
- we have four pretty good hearts
- our diamonds are moderate

Now I will bid 3 and 4 over 3N.

3. 4, This hand has a lot of playing strength and I'd like to shut out their spades.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-April-26, 07:26

1. Pard seems to have some strongish 55 and a heart short. I got some fillers, so I'll raise him to 5. This might go down if pard only has a singleton, but hey it's red at imps.

2. Of course I open. 3.

3. Precision nebulous 1 is a bit vulnerable to high level overcalls. 4

#12 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2011-April-26, 18:59

All these hands are from the two-session, 6-rounder on Friday and Saturday. Our first opponents were another C team. We were kind of sloppy, and got a high-scoring narrow win. Our next two opponents were national-class A teams.

(1) This hand came up against the 'Enfield' team. I was South, and fleetingly considered passing 4. Ludicrous, to be sure, but it would have been best here. I tried 4, and partner raised to 5 with --- AJ J8xxxx AQ7xx. RHO, looking at 3-1-4-5 distribution including A109x and KJ98x, unleashed the axe, and we went down 1100. At the other table, my teammate overcalled 2 over 1 with RHO's hand, playing it right there, and going down 400. LHO's hand, which had 5-7-1-0 distribution, passed the first round at both tables, electing not to risk burying the spade suit. These are the kind of hands, evidently, that separate the men from the boys.

(2) This hand came up against a team featuring Billy Milner. Partner faced this problem, passed the first time and in response to my double, jumped to 3. Yes, 3. Maybe he thought for a second it was matchpoints, or didn't want to contract for a game needing 11 tricks, or didn't want to risk my dummy coming down with poor diamond support, or wanted to throw off the opponents during the play. At any rate, RHO rebid 3, I raised to 4 with Jx AJx AQ8x AJxx, and LHO, Milner, drove on to 4 with Qx xxx xx Q98xxx. I doubled, and all passed.

I led the A, after which there was no chance of setting 4, but my second choice, a trump, wouldn't have worked too well either: RHO would have drawn trumps and led the K, and I would have had to find a duck without knowing anything about the side-suit distribution; then, when RHO put me in with the third club, I would have to guess which red suit to break, dangerously misguided by partner's bidding. It shouldn't have mattered, since 5 is cold our way. At the other table, our teammates were -150 (defending a partial in diamonds). While we would have swung 24 IMPs by making 5, we were blitzed with double-digit IMPs to spare, so this hand alone could only have gotten us a VP or two in the grand scheme of things.

(3) This hand also came up against the Enfield team. I chose to jump to 3. The good news is that we weren't overrun by enemy spade bids. The bad news is that I played it there, and dummy provided me AJxxx xx K9xx Qx. Ten tricks rolled in on the 2-2 trump break. They didn't get to game at the other table either, but in this match, too, we were blitzed with double-digit IMPs to spare, so this hand alone wouldn't have done anything for us.

In the weekend Swiss it felt like we were up against a far tougher field, plus my partner and one of our teammates were running on fumes, as they had played in the GNT in Dana Point the previous weekend, and had pulled out a grueling final match by 1 IMP. It did seem like my partner was playing through a letdown. We didn't finish in contention for any sort of award. Still, the experience playing against national-class competition can only help us going forward.

#13 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-April-27, 02:59

What was partner's reason for bidding 5D on the first hand? He felt he had a lot more than 4C suggested?

You have too much potential for 3H on the last hand, the only bids that you should consider with such playing strength are 1H and 4H.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-27, 04:16

On the first one, I don't think passing 4 is ludicrous. It seems quite a reasonable action, actually - opposite Kx x AJ10xx AKQxx we're quite high enough, and partner needn't have as much as that. Of course, he might have less strength but more shape eg x x AJ10xxx AKQxx, which fits a lot better.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-27, 07:27

View Postgnasher, on 2011-April-27, 04:16, said:

On the first one, I don't think passing 4 is ludicrous. It seems quite a reasonable action, actually - opposite Kx x AJ10xx AKQxx we're quite high enough, and partner needn't have as much as that. Of course, he might have less strength but more shape eg x x AJ10xxx AKQxx, which fits a lot better.

If you make K or Q a small club in your second example, would you pass out 3?
I think passing 4 is just about right.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-April-27, 08:56

View Postcherdano, on 2011-April-27, 07:27, said:

If you make K or Q a small club in your second example, would you pass out 3?

I think you probably should, but I agree that I might not.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-April-27, 09:04

View PostFoxx, on 2011-April-26, 18:59, said:

(2) This hand came up against a team featuring Billy Milner. Partner faced this problem, passed the first time and in response to my double, jumped to 3. Yes, 3. Maybe he thought for a second it was matchpoints, or didn't want to contract for a game needing 11 tricks, or didn't want to risk my dummy coming down with poor diamond support, or wanted to throw off the opponents during the play. At any rate, RHO rebid 3, I raised to 4 with Jx AJx AQ8x AJxx,

Agree that 3 is rather odd, but I think you have a perfect double of 3.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users