BBO Discussion Forums: 2/1: Showing A Game Force Over 1m Openers - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2/1: Showing A Game Force Over 1m Openers

#1 User is offline   gurgistan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-19, 12:31

I am having difficulty showing a game force as responder over a 1m opener.

Over 1C, I bid 1M, I guess unless 2C or 3N is appropriate.

Over 1D, I still have the 1M, 3N and inverted minors options but I can also go 2C (I play it as 2/1 gf) but my 2C has to be a real suit ie four cards long yes?

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-April-19, 12:45

If your concern is showing a GF right away, you can always play strong jump shifts. They aren't in vogue right now but they are a reasonable treatment.

Otherwise, in most auctions the determination of whether or not responder has a GF is postponed until the second round of bidding, or later. Doing so doesn't create any heartburn or inefficiencies.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-19, 13:00

I am not a fan of inverted minors over 1, particularly when the club may be as short as 2 cards. The principle behind inverted minors is that 3 may be a good advance sacrifice over their 2M contract. But if opener may be short, you need extreme length, and anyway partner may be 44 in both majors so their 2M contract may not be so makeable. 2 and 3 are in my view better employed as weak and natural, with you bidding 3 when your shape indicates more preemption.

I don't know the answer with natural responses. Certainly transfer walsh responses allow more control, as you can have an artificial 2 rebid over partner's completion of the major as an artificial GF, and you can easily have a different sequence that shows a game invitational club support bid equivalent to an inverted 2. (In our case this is a transfer to 1NT followed by a 2 rebid.)

Over 1 (guaranteeing 3 cards and probably longer) there is more use for an inverted 2 and then a 2 GF reply must have at least 4 cards, else what is the difference between that and 2? I would prefer 5 cards, with 4 just using the inverted 2. Over the latter, there is nothing stopping partner bidding clubs if he has them and is taking game on, and if he bids 2-any you can rebid 3 if GF.

I would be interested in seeing the "standard" answer.

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-19, 14:26

A one level response to 1m is forcing; responder will have another chance to bid. If opener rebids 1NT, responder can use some form of checkback (I prefer two way checkback, in which 2 is GF, but even Crowhurst or NMF is forcing, so again responder will have another chance). If opener rebids a new suit, responder can use FSF. If opener rebids his minor, responder's new suit bid is forcing. That's pretty much the "standard" answer as I understand it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-19, 15:47

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-April-19, 14:26, said:

A one level response to 1m is forcing; responder will have another chance to bid. If opener rebids 1NT, responder can use some form of checkback (I prefer two way checkback, in which 2 is GF, but even Crowhurst or NMF is forcing, so again responder will have another chance). If opener rebids a new suit, responder can use FSF. If opener rebids his minor, responder's new suit bid is forcing. That's pretty much the "standard" answer as I understand it.

What he said

+1

Over a minor opening you make 1 round forcing bid only, and delay your GF bid to the 2nd round of your bid. I almost never go with inv minor when i have a 4 cards major suit to start with.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-April-20, 08:10

When you play inverted minors you can always start with a natural forcing bid and show the extra strength later.

after 1-?
1/M = 4+/M
2 = 4+

after 1-?
1M = 4+M
2m = 4+m

Either way you have a 4 card suit somewhere, and you have a forcing bid available for each suit. I prefer 1-2 as forcing to 2NT only, although it's playable as GF for sure.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-April-20, 18:23

I think it is a good agreement to make an inverted raise limited, e.g. 10-15 (if invitational+) or 13-15 (if GF). Then slam auctions are not so cloudy. E.g. 1-1, 1NT-4 is a serious slam try, 16+ whereas 1-2, 2NT-4 is a more mild slam try.

This is analogous (spelling??) to limited splinters. This is so once you are at the four-level both parties know what their values are, and know what they should be doing, cause they certainly don't have any more room to find out. Most people have the agreement a splinter has about 11-14 HCP and any stronger you have to do something else, and splinter later.
I Transfers

#8 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-April-29, 07:57

I'd like to point out that after an inverted minor response, you are at the 2-level.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users