BBO Discussion Forums: From the ACBL General Convention Chart - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

From the ACBL General Convention Chart

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-13, 20:25

Disallowed: Psyching of artificial or conventional opening bids and/or conventional responses thereto. Psyching conventional suit responses, which are less than 2NT, to natural openings.

Surely this cannot be legal. And I doubt it is true -- if it were, you couldn't psych a transfer response to 1NT (to name a simple example that springs readily to mind).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-May-13, 21:12

View PostVampyr, on 2011-May-13, 20:25, said:

Surely this cannot be legal. And I doubt it is true -- if it were, you couldn't psych a transfer response to 1NT ...

I don't see why there is an inalienable right to psyche transfer responses to 1NT.

The laws seem clear

Law 40B2: (d) The Regulating Authority may restrict the use of psychic artificial calls.

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-May-14, 10:40

There's been controversy over that clause of the GCC for years. 40B2(d) was presumably added in the 2007 laws specifically to put the matter to rest. Now it's specifically allowed.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-May-16, 02:09

View PostRMB1, on 2011-May-13, 21:12, said:

I don't see why there is an inalienable right to psyche transfer responses to 1NT.

Me neither; it was just a simple example that I thought of.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-May-16, 03:58

View PostVampyr, on 2011-May-13, 20:25, said:

Surely this cannot be legal. And I doubt it is true -- if it were, you couldn't psych a transfer response to 1NT (to name a simple example that springs readily to mind).

As I understand matters this regulation dates back to a case where Marston psyched a strong club opening.
He scored up a nice board, however, folks quickly passed regulations that baned psyching strong artificial openings.
This was latter extended to conventions in general.
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-May-16, 07:30

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-May-16, 03:58, said:

As I understand matters this regulation dates back to a case where Marston psyched a strong club opening.
He scored up a nice board, however, folks quickly passed regulations that banned psyching strong artificial openings.
This was later extended to conventions in general.

Oh, the horror, a psych worked! It's sort of strange, because the ACBL seem to be trending in the opposite direction to the rest of the world. THe EBU used to ban psychs of the partnership's strongest opening bid, but no longer.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users