Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best line?

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2011-July-16, 17:08

West leads the 3 of spades (nothing exciting). What's the best line?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-16, 19:24

-You could play to drop Kxx or if not to play to make 4 tricks, but i think here it gets tricky, because % will depend on if RHO will split from KQx(x) or not. Basically take A and play 8 and send it if not covered. If this loses to T then u are down to 3-3 ot kxx . If this was covered by T or lost to K or Q u need to repeat the finesse, win return (probably trump) ruff a , go to dummy with another trump and ruff 2nd to see if K drops. If not, go to dummy with , cash last trump and hook (if first lost to T then A and ruff)

- You could take finesse, ruff small , cash 2 trumps and ruff another . This would make also if 4-1 east holding stiff J or 9 with black suits behaving. Or East holding Jxxx 9xxx with KQ of and again black suits behaving.

-Third line is A and small ruff, trump to dummy another ruff, to dummy and try to ruff 4th , even if u survived, u are nowhere close to making yet due to entry problems, exitting with A and another creates a trump promotion danger even when everything was friendly.

EDIT: With J9 doubleton there will be other lines but i am too lazy now to look at it :P
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-July-16, 21:15

After calling the director on the two 3's present at the table I figure I'd take the ace, ruff a spade, heart to dummy and ruff another spade. If the king hasn't shown yet a club to dummy and ruff with the 10. A and another, hoping to ruff the third diamond and finish drawing trumps.

Is this better than the 50% of the first-round finesse in spades and ruffing only 2 spades? Maybe it's not 50% on a lead against a slam.

Is it better than the 37ish % of a small diamond to the 9 and then to the J?

I don't know. Can someone show the numbers for these 3?

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-July-17, 00:39

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-July-16, 21:15, said:

After calling the director on the two 3's present at the table I figure I'd take the ace, ruff a spade, heart to dummy and ruff another spade. If the king hasn't shown yet a club to dummy and ruff with the 10. A and another, hoping to ruff the third diamond and finish drawing trumps.

Is this better than the 50% of the first-round finesse in spades and ruffing only 2 spades? Maybe it's not 50% on a lead against a slam.

Is it better than the 37ish % of a small diamond to the 9 and then to the J?

I don't know. Can someone show the numbers for these 3?

As i already explained in my 3rd line, this is probably the worst line, no need for numbers, i can tell by instinct. You need 4-4 or 5-3 3 with the guy who has no J, and even if u survive the you exit will be taken by LHO and he will play to promote his pd, or RHO will take it and play to make his pd ruff high to get a trump promotion. If were 3-3 u could easily play for it without taking the risk of overruffed on . Basically u are playing for 3-3 about % 35 minus most 5-3 minus some 4-1 .
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-17, 01:30

View PostMrAce, on 2011-July-16, 19:24, said:

-You could play to drop Kxx or if not to play to make 4 tricks, but i think here it gets tricky, because % will depend on if RHO will split from KQx(x) or not. Basically take A and play 8 and send it if not covered. If this loses to T then u are down to 3-3 ot kxx . If this was covered by T or lost to K or Q u need to repeat the finesse, win return (probably trump) ruff a , go to dummy with another trump and ruff 2nd to see if K drops. If not, go to dummy with , cash last trump and hook (if first lost to T then A and ruff)

There are other options in this line:

- You can also play for H10xx-Hx or HHxx-10x, taking a ruffing finesse. You can delay that decision to the end, eg A, 8 losing to West, club won in hand, A, spade ruff, K, spade ruff, club to dummy, draw the last trump. You're down to Q x x x opposite AJ9 Q.

- Alternatively, you could try to take advantage of J being doubleton, eg A, 8 to the 10, club won in dummy, A, diamond, LHO showing out, AK dropping the jack, club to hand, ruff the diamonds good, black suit to hand. (Which black suit you use depends on what you think LHO has got left.)
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-July-17, 01:48

View Postgnasher, on 2011-July-17, 01:30, said:

There are other options in this line:

- You can also play for H10xx-Hx or HHxx-10x, taking a ruffing finesse. You can delay that decision to the end, eg A, 8 losing to West, club won in hand, A, spade ruff, K, spade ruff, club to dummy, draw the last trump. You're down to Q x x x opposite AJ9 Q.

I think these situations will depend on RHO's behaviour. I am expecting 8 to be covered if RHO has Tx or Hx.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-July-17, 03:10

After a split-second thought, I'd take the ace and play a diamond to the 9. If LHO takes this with K or Q, finesse another diamond later. If he takes with the T instead, play for 3-3 diamonds.

#8 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2011-July-17, 09:57

OK, some additional information.

If you win with the ace and play a diamond to the 9 (or run the 8), LHO wins with the 10 and plays another spade. If you then cash the ace of diamonds, RHO drops the Q.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-July-17, 13:33

View Postmr1303, on 2011-July-17, 09:57, said:

OK, some additional information.

If you win with the ace and play a diamond to the 9 (or run the 8), LHO wins with the 10 and plays another spade. If you then cash the ace of diamonds, RHO drops the Q.

If u now playing for Qx RHO, he could have set you by playing Q on the first round (assuming u started with 8). A good defender would have played Q since he knows u dont have a guess with KJ (knows from blackwood). As i said in my first reply how good are they, can they duck first from KQx ? But i think due to restricted choice + even the best players making errors now and then, i think it is right to go for ruffing finesse now.

After ruffing the , go to dummy with trump, ruff another , and u are good if K of dropped. If not clear trumps and come to position Andy posted. Now A and take the ruffing finesse and congradulate your RHO if he ducked the first from KQx :)

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-July-17, 16:33

mr1303 asks
West leads the 3 of spades (nothing exciting). What's the best line?

Just recapping....
A, run 8, win return (say) with Q, ruff a , K, ruff a Q, A leaving this five card ending.

Now, depending on what has happened and how you read the position, ...
- cash Q or
- cash AJ or
- finesse diamonds again or
- cash A and ruff a or
- cash A and trump finesse

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users