• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Line of Play? ACBL

#21 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-30, 16:37

View Postjallerton, on 2011-July-30, 04:14, said:

Can anyone recall a claim at their table where declarer has stated exactly which specific cards he intends to play to every remaining trick from both his own hand and dummy?

Almost all my claims specify the complete line - which will include all winners, all ruffs (and the cards they are ruffing) and discards - the rest are pretty much all just following suit. How long does it take to say "three spades, throwing a club, ruff two hearts and then the AK of diamonds"? Not only is it required by law, it's also just polite. I've seen enough people who make non-trivial claims without a statement in a manner that's effectively bullying weaker players, who often concede without properly considering whether the claim is good.

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-30, 18:50

I'm afraid I don't understand your point, Alex. Are you saying that "average players" prefer to live in a fantasy world?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-July-31, 00:32

View Postmjj29, on 2011-July-30, 16:37, said:

Almost all my claims specify the complete line - which will include all winners, all ruffs (and the cards they are ruffing) and discards - the rest are pretty much all just following suit. How long does it take to say "three spades, throwing a club, ruff two hearts and then the AK of diamonds"? Not only is it required by law, it's also just polite. I've seen enough people who make non-trivial claims without a statement in a manner that's effectively bullying weaker players, who often concede without properly considering whether the claim is good.

So you never just face your hand and say "They're all good"? And instead of saying "Crossruff", you say "Ruff a heart, ruff a diamond, ruff a heart, ruff a diamond, ..."?

#24 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-31, 16:11

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-July-30, 18:50, said:

I'm afraid I don't understand your point, Alex. Are you saying that "average players" prefer to live in a fantasy world?

I'm saying average players don't like claims (my experience).

In fact I think that mostly they are confused by claims, made typically by stronger players, and probably they should almost always call the TD.

Some people may be surprised to know that many, particularly average, players expect the contract result to be demonstrated via play of the cards by declarer.

#25 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-31, 17:46

View Postbarmar, on 2011-July-31, 00:32, said:

So you never just face your hand and say "They're all good"? And instead of saying "Crossruff", you say "Ruff a heart, ruff a diamond, ruff a heart, ruff a diamond, ..."?

I very rarely say "They're all good" - instead I'll say "dummy has 3 good spades, two hearts and a club". I might in very obvious situations say "crossruff", but I'm more likely to say "I can ruff the spades on table and the hearts in hand" - which while not strictly in the correct order, since I need to cross back and forth, it does at least specify clearly what's happenning to each card...

#26 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-31, 20:26

At the clubs, we have given up the aggravation of claiming unless we can set up all winners in one hand or the other. Then we can either lay down declarer hand and say, "these are all good tricks", or go to dummy and say "I can't get off the board".

This doesn't stop us from folding up our hands on defense and conceding when declarer is stringing us out.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#27 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-August-01, 07:05

View PostAlexJonson, on 2011-July-31, 16:11, said:

I'm saying average players don't like claims (my experience).

In fact I think that mostly they are confused by claims, made typically by stronger players, and probably they should almost always call the TD.

Some people may be surprised to know that many, particularly average, players expect the contract result to be demonstrated via play of the cards by declarer.

I think this is very unfair. It depends how the claims are made, and when I claim against weak players, they are not confused - and I claim more than any other player I know.

:ph34r:

In general threads here are not done as polls. If you want a poll you should say so. For example, when I read Frances’ post I thought I agreed with everything she said. So I did not post. So the failure of people to agree with Frances is quite likely because of the way threads here work, not that either people don’t know or don’t care.

In general, if someone posts a strong opinion, I generally post if [a] I disagree and [b] I have not already said so. If I agree, or have already made the opposite point I do not see the need to post again.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#28 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-August-01, 07:07

View Postbarmar, on 2011-July-30, 09:23, said:

This isn't a matter of opinion, the Law is quite clear that a statement of play is required.

That's why the discussion has devolved into the level of detail that's required in the statement.

Because the Laws have little to do with bridge?
Alderaan delenda est

#29 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-01, 12:26

It seems to me that the completeness of stating one's line of play depends upon the obviousness of the situation. For example, in a recent event I held AQ of trump, and RHO was on lead and was known to hold Kx of trump (LHO had shown out earlier). Before he lead I exposed my cards and they immediately conceeded.

If there is any doubt on the line, I immediately explain.

The most common "penalty' for failing to state your line seems to be having the claim overturned by the director.

#30 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-August-01, 12:56

The laws require that the benefit of any doubt as to the line of play be given to claimer's opponents. As annoying as failure to state a line can be to some players and directors, that should usually be sufficient. A procedural penalty is possible, of course, but should be rare.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#31 User is online   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-August-01, 13:44

View Postmjj29, on 2011-July-30, 16:37, said:

Excellent post.

As an opponent it is not my job to work out how you plan to play your cards when you face them. Extremely, I have even seen situations in which the cards have not even been faced - folded up and returned to the board.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#32 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-August-01, 14:49

Yes, that's an extreme, Wayne, but to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen it except among experts. Perhaps the expectation is that everyone is an expert, so everyone knows what's going on. Still not right, of course. :huh:
--------------------

#33 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-01, 16:01

View Postbluejak, on 2011-August-01, 07:05, said:

I think this is very unfair. It depends how the claims are made, and when I claim against weak players, they are not confused - and I claim more than any other player I know.

:ph34r:

In general threads here are not done as polls. If you want a poll you should say so. For example, when I read Frances’ post I thought I agreed with everything she said. So I did not post. So the failure of people to agree with Frances is quite likely because of the way threads here work, not that either people don’t know or don’t care.

In general, if someone posts a strong opinion, I generally post if [a] I disagree and [b] I have not already said so. If I agree, or have already made the opposite point I do not see the need to post again.
e

I have to say, Bluejak, that I don't understand your post. I was making observations from personal experience, without you in mind at all.

It seems your experience is different, apparently because of excellent personal qualities of your own.

The Laws allow claiming - a simple fact - so either way you are entitled to claim as often as you wish. But no doubt if inexperienced players were suitably coached, they could call the TD whenever unsure about anyone's claim.

#34 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-01, 16:10

View PostCascade, on 2011-August-01, 13:44, said:

Extremely, I have even seen situations in which the cards have not even been faced - folded up and returned to the board.

To which you should say "I accept your concession of all the rest of the tricks, so that's 9 off then" and when they argue and call the director ask him to read the section about 'abandoning the hand'. :)

#35 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-01, 16:14

View PostAlexJonson, on 2011-August-01, 16:01, said:

The Laws allow claiming - a simple fact - so either way you are entitled to claim as often as you wish. But no doubt if inexperienced players were suitably coached, they could call the TD whenever unsure about anyone's claim.

And if they are unsure about a claim they should call the TD. It's the responsibility of the claimer to make it clear how he has the rest of the tricks. Not calling the TD just gives better players the opportunity to (probably inadvertently) get away with duff claims. Claiming without a clear line in such a fashion as to discourage inexperienced opposition from objecting is tantamount to bullying and not acceptible.

#36 User is online   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-August-01, 17:44

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-August-01, 14:49, said:

Yes, that's an extreme, Wayne, but to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen it except among experts. Perhaps the expectation is that everyone is an expert, so everyone knows what's going on. Still not right, of course. :huh:

From memory they were not experts and I have seen it a few times now. More like wanna be experts.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#37 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-01, 20:07

View Postmjj29, on 2011-July-29, 18:07, said:

To make it clear, yes the laws require you to accompany your claim "at once" with a "clear statement of the order the cards are to be played" (L68C). While it is an often-flouted and rarely-penalised law, it is still there and Mike Flader is wrong

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that Mike Flader (who I wouldn't know from a bar of soap) isn't necessarily wrong here. The selective quote from Law 68C used by several people in this thread is misleading and you need to look at the entirety of Law 68C, if not the entirety of Law 68.

Law 68C said:

C. Clarification Required for Claim

A claim should be accompanied at once by a clear statement as to the order in which cards will be played, of the line of play or defence through which the claimer proposes to win the tricks claimed.

To comply with Law 68C you have three choices:

• state the order in which cards will be played;
  • state the line of play; or
  • state the defence through which the claimer proposed to win the tricks claimed.

One of the more fun things to do as declarer is to claim on a squeeze or end-play where your claim statement might be something like, "you are end-played" as you face your hand. I haven't indicated the order in which cards will be played or stated the line of play as these will be dependent on what the defender does next; but I have stated the defence through which I'm going to win the rest of tricks. Accordingly, Mike Flanders is correct that it is not a "requirement" to state a line of play when claiming.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#38 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-August-01, 21:15

Your argument is flawed, because for starters, the clause "the line of play or defense" is the equivalent of "the line of play or the line of defense". "You are end-played" does not meet the criteria for the required statement.

If "line of play" refers to declarer's play, and "line of defense" refers to defender's play, then I suppose it is true that a "line of play" is not required of a defender — but a "line of defense" is.

Added afterthoughts: it seems to me that the requirement is for "a clear statement as to the order in which the cards will be played", and that "of the line of play or defence through which the claimer proposes to win the tricks claimed" is intended to clarify the meaning of the earlier part.

This post has been edited by blackshoe: 2011-August-01, 21:39
Reason for edit: afterthoughts

--------------------

#39 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-01, 22:41

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-August-01, 21:15, said:

Your argument is flawed, because for starters, the clause "the line of play or defense" is the equivalent of "the line of play or the line of defense".

There is a comma after "... card will be played" so under normal grammatical construction the "or" you refer to splits the Law 68C requirements into three separate options.

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-August-01, 21:15, said:

"You are end-played" does not meet the criteria for the required statement.

Yes it does. I am telling my opponents that the defence that they are now forced to embark on will result in me winning the rest of the tricks.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#40 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-02, 04:25

Mrdct, your argument would be correct if the law read "statement as to the order in which cards will be played, of the line of play or of the defence", but it doesn't. If we expand the sentence in the way that you seem to think it was intended, we get:
"clear statement as to the order in which cards will be played"
or
"clear statement of the line of play"
or
"clear statement defence"

Since "clear statement defence" is ungrammatical and meaningless, that's obviously not what was meant.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users