BBO Discussion Forums: Would really appreciate help on this beginner problem - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would really appreciate help on this beginner problem

#1 User is offline   antonwwest 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-28, 03:10

Hi,

I am in no way an experienced Bridge player. I started a beginners course in this winter and have played some "real-Bridge" and also tried internet-Bridge (even though real-Bridge is a lot nicer).

Anyway, I hope that someone has the time to have the time and pity to explain what I'm supposed to bid in this situation (a "why" would also be really nice):

Posted Image

With friendly regards,

Anton

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-28, 03:26

A good place to start would be to understand what budov's double means. It could mean he has three hearts, or that he has spades, or that he has many diamonds and expects to set 2 many tricks. On BBO you can click on bids to request an explanation what they mean.
As for the actual bid recommended, I'll let better players answer.

#3 User is offline   Porreankel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-28, 03:44

No matter if X is takeout or penalty I would pass.
budov prolly has a pretty good hand no matter what, and you don't want to bid any higher.
If opp's continue the bidding you now have a some great leads to choose from - and if partner gets to play 2dX, well, maybe it will win - but if it does not maybe you will still get a good result.
Pass!

www.bridgetime.org

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-28, 04:10

Agree with Antrax that it is of interest what the double means. And also whether West could systematically have more diamonds than hearts. In both cases it would be tempting to try 2, especially if partner could have opened a weak 2 so his failure to do so suggests he has only five diamonds.

But even so, I think you should just pass smoothly without showing interest for the meaning of the double. If you appear to be nervous about the double then you may help West to make the right decision to leave in the double.

It is also possible that E/W have no agreement about what the double means so even if it is meant as penalty, sometimes W will take it out because he thinks it is something else. Wouldn't it be wonderful if W bids 3 or 2?

And p could very well make 2. If they don't lead a trump then he might be able to rough a heart in dummy. He may be able to get a couple of club tricks and gets a diamond finesse when W ruffs the third club.

Finally, even if 2x is left in and goes down, it is quite possible that 2 would have been worse.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-28, 10:25

If I felt inclined to bid my Spades I think I would have done it on the previous round, and while it is probably undisciplined I think i would have done so at that table.

Incidentally, Anton, may I congratulate you on a picturesque collection of installed apps that you have on your machine?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-28, 10:30

• This is not a beginner problem.
  • I'd have overcalled 1
  • Your opponent should have alerted his support X.
  • Reasonable options now (depending on agreement) are pass, xx (if SOS,) 2H (if X is penalty,) 3C (if X is penalty) and your choice, 2S.
  • I should only be so lucky as to win 1.5 IMPS on my 'problem' hands.

"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-28, 10:45

You had to bid 1 the round before your hand is too good to pass.

You are stuck with a pass now since spades is probably worse since partner didn't double, and opponents don't know what is going on probably and will rescue you anyway. Playing in clubs is not an option unless East clearly states his double is penalty

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-August-28, 16:04

Hi welcome to the forums Anton. Your presentation of this problem is commendable (both in attitude and display)and many new players, as well as some regulars could learn from it.

Its clear to overcall 1 immediately. Your hand has a lot of playing strength and as little as Axx in partner's hand gives you a reasonable 4.

Having passed you are in a pickle. RHO's double can be many things (support showing 3 hearts, takeout showing a good hand and shortish diamonds, or penalty).Even if its not alerted, you should ask at your turn. RHO should explain the partnership's agreement on this double.

Over a low level penalty double, redouble tends to be "SOS" or an attempt to escape into multiple suits. If the double is support or takeout, redouble would tend to deny a fit but would show a good hand.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users