• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thursday night clubbing

#21 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-03, 10:20

View Postsemeai, on 2011-September-03, 07:42, said:

Partner's 2D bid was completely artificial.

Then I'll pass.

#22 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-September-03, 11:35

What do you think of partner's chosen sequence? We don't play Serious/NS 3NT, so he was probably worried about making a move over a possible 4S bid from me if he had bid 3S rather than 3C. Obviously it's a marginal slam but it does have the virtue of making. At the table I passed; +480 was the result at almost every table, and nobody bid the slam.

It looks to me like 3S is the right answer double dummy, but double would have gotten all the marbles at the table, since declarer managed to hold himself to seven tricks. I think I should have predicted that. I passed; +100 was a poor matchpoint result.

Do you think East has enough to double 5C to warn partner off? Obviously I didn't at the table, but I thought it was close. FWIW, neither of us believed this was a forcing pass situation. Partner elected to pass out 5C; +200 was, again, a poor result.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#23 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-03, 11:51

1. Your partner's hand rates for 11.8 tricks as soon as he knows you have 3 spades. I don't know why he was monkeying around with the hand so much. Why didn't he just ask for aces and subside when he knows he's off the Ace and trump Queen?
2. Unfortunate, but I think your partner didn't have his bid. He has too much defensive power. His preempt stopped you from doubling.
3. Unfortunate, but I have no real solution.

#24 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-03, 14:49

View Postdaveharty, on 2011-September-03, 11:35, said:

It looks to me like 3S is the right answer double dummy, but double would have gotten all the marbles at the table, since declarer managed to hold himself to seven tricks. I think I should have predicted that. I passed; +100 was a poor matchpoint result.

This is why you and I had the agreement that no competitive auction against that opponent could be passed out at any level. We either doubled (and took faith that they gave tricks to the defense) or bid on. Since the bidding was so random, we were usually just trying to protect ourselves from complete randomness. Ah well...that table is where bridge goes to die.

Do you think East has enough to double 5C to warn partner off? Obviously I didn't at the table, but I thought it was close. FWIW, neither of us believed this was a forcing pass situation. Partner elected to pass out 5C; +200 was, again, a poor result.

Tough luck. I like Brian's acronym for this hand.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#25 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-September-03, 15:25

1. I think pard's bidding was fine.
2. You can't seriously dbl 3C. Even if south wiggled, his pard can have the nuts. It's either pass or 3S.
3. stuff happens

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users