• You cannot reply to this topic

It ain't over til it's over For baseball fans

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-29, 09:48

From David Waldstein's story in today's Times:

Posted Image

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — For much of the night, the outcome of the American League wild-card race seemed as if it would be decidedly different. The Yankees were battering the Tampa Bay Rays, and the Boston Red Sox were beating the Baltimore Orioles.

But a combination of a rain delay in one city and extra innings in another provided for one of the most exciting and memorable simultaneous endings to a playoff race that baseball has seen in years — all of it happening just minutes apart in two different towns.

“Within eight minutes the world changed,” said Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, who was one of several Yankees players monitoring both games in the clubhouse. “That’s what makes baseball the greatest game.”

As the clock approached midnight, the Orioles came back to tie the Red Sox with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, and when the score was relayed to the fans at Tropicana Field, their cheers let the Rays know what was happening up north.

A few minutes later, the Orioles won their game on a walk-off single by Robert Andino, and as the cheers went up again, Rays second baseman Ben Zobrist turned to his teammates in the dugout and said: “This is our game now. We have to win this now.”

At 12:05 a.m. Thursday morning, they did. Evan Longoria, the Rays’ most talented player and the face of the franchise, ripped a 2-2 pitch from Scott Proctor over the low part of the left-field fence and the Rays completed two improbable comebacks, beating the Yankees, 8-7, in 12 innings to win the American League wild card.

After trailing the Red Sox by nine games on Sept. 4, the Rays overcame the largest September deficit in major league history to make the playoffs, unleashing a wild celebration in the process.

“I don’t think there’s any specific explanation for it,” said Longoria, who also hit a three-run home run as part of a wild comeback in the eighth inning. “It’s just a bunch of guys who put together an incredible season.”

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-29, 11:42

I just watched the Red Sox-Orioles game on delay here without knowing what happened, what a game, and it sounds like the other one was even better. Os never really looked like winning till they were a strike from losing, then it happened fast.

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-29, 13:21

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2011-September-29, 14:11

One of the most incredible endings to a regular season ever. If the Rays had anything left for the ALDS, I'd honestly be a little surprised. The Cardinals, needless to say, are in a similar position vs the Phillies.

I'm rooting for the World Series to be the Brewers vs either the Rays or Rangers, though this could well turn out to be a pipe dream.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-September-29, 14:30

Was it two different fat ladies, one in Boston and the other in Atlanta, or was it one fat lady on the road?

Whichever, the song was the same: "I'm a loser, and I'm not what I appear to be..."
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-29, 15:49

Last night was a truly great day for baseball and her fans.

#7 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-30, 04:19

From Nate Silver's column today:

Posted Image
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-September-30, 09:39

edited - nonsense
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users