#1 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-September-11, 11:38

A lead. Ruffed in dummy.

A all follow.

J ...

east detaches a card nearly places it on the table. Restores the card to his hand. Pulls the same from his hand and plays it.

Later east claims he "thought" he had two cards stuck together.

Declarer finesses and goes down in the slam.

Is this a "bridge reason" for the out of tempo play?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-September-11, 11:45

I don't think so, although I believe his statement. Presumably declarer would still have gone down if East had just followed in tempo
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2011-September-11, 11:58

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-September-11, 11:45, said:

I don't think so, although I believe his statement. Presumably declarer would still have gone down if East had just followed in tempo

The important fact is that East's irregularity can most likely mislead Declarer.

This fact shall override a presumption that Declarer would have gone down anyway, and TD should therefore adjust the result to a successfull choice by Declarer.

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-September-11, 12:09

Is there anything East can do to extricate himself from this situation, or does declarer have a freebie here? Sometimes by a mechanical error, east will pull two cards, or they will stick, or something. I think east saying "sorry, no problem" opens another can of worms. If he had said, "sorry, two cards stuck together," or something similar, can the onus be lifted? I don't necessarily disagree with a ruling for declarer in this case, but I sympathize with east (if he's believable) and don't think that declarer should get two bites at the apple.

In general, though, I thought it was only a violation to intentionally vary tempo in a manner that could mislead declarer. Varying tempo by accident, or because of a mechanical error should result in no adjustment; after all, you're allowed to take inference from the tempo or mannerisms of the opponents only at your own risk.

Or am I mistaken?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-11, 12:14

View Postwyman, on 2011-September-11, 12:09, said:

In general, though, I thought it was only a violation to intentionally vary tempo in a manner that could mislead declarer. Varying tempo by accident, or because of a mechanical error should result in no adjustment; after all, you're allowed to take inference from the tempo or mannerisms of the opponents only at your own risk.

Or am I mistaken?

You are not mistaken in what constitutes a violation, but declarer may be protected when the hesitation was at a particularly sensitive time.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-11, 12:25

View PostVampyr, on 2011-September-11, 12:14, said:

You are not mistaken in what constitutes a violation, but declarer may be protected when the hesitation was at a particularly sensitive time.

Is that in the laws or just a de facto agreement among directors/players? Or is the sensitivity of the situation going to be used to impugn the credibility of the defender?

Sounds argumentative, so I apologize for the tone, but I'm seriously asking.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#7 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-September-11, 12:50

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-September-11, 11:45, said:

Presumably declarer would still have gone down if East had just followed in tempo

Interesting why do you say this?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2011-September-11, 13:01

Is there anything East can do to extricate himself from this situation, or does declarer have a freebie here?

No, he has no demonstrable bridge reason for thinking with two small. So declarer can run the jack and claim redress when it loses. It does not matter whether we believe East. It is enough that he could have been aware the BIT would gain.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-September-11, 13:27

View PostCascade, on 2011-September-11, 12:50, said:

Interesting why do you say this?

I observe that few experts rely on an a priori 52% break when there are other indicators. Here it appears from the opening bid that LHO has the majority of the Spades, so that alone brings it down to a 50% guess (Spades may even be 6-3), and that is before considering the high card requirements for East's opening bid, which I would rate as putting him heavy favourite for the Heart Q, especially after SpA lead (which I realise may not be backed by King).

Of course I could be quite wrong, but I would expect most players to hook the Heart here.

I realise that this has little to do with the ruling.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2011-September-11, 14:12

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-September-11, 13:27, said:

Of course I could be quite wrong, but I would expect most players to hook the Heart here.

As would I (I was amazed West went to 5S with Qx in hearts), and declarer should only get redress for the loss he actually incurred. I presume this can be weighted, and perhaps the right action is to poll players of similar ability and find out what they do. Declarer deserves some adjustment, as he would never get it right after the hitch.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-September-11, 14:55

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-September-11, 13:27, said:

I observe that few experts rely on an a priori 52% break when there are other indicators. Here it appears from the opening bid that LHO has the majority of the Spades, so that alone brings it down to a 50% guess (Spades may even be 6-3), and that is before considering the high card requirements for East's opening bid, which I would rate as putting him heavy favourate for the Heart Q, especially after SpA lead (which I realise may not be backed by King).

I realise that this has little to do with the ruling.

Thanks

Does anyone think it is interesting that east hitched on the crucial trick after opening with a sub-minimum hand?
Wayne Burrows

#12 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-September-11, 14:59

View Postlamford, on 2011-September-11, 14:12, said:

As would I (I was amazed West went to 5S with Qx in hearts), and declarer should only get redress for the loss he actually incurred. I presume this can be weighted, and perhaps the right action is to poll players of similar ability and find out what they do. Declarer deserves some adjustment, as he would never get it right after the hitch.

Interesting I hadn't thought of a weighted adjustment in this way.

Does east deserve a procedural penalty in addition to any score adjustment?
Wayne Burrows

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-September-11, 15:10

View PostCascade, on 2011-September-11, 14:55, said:

Does anyone think it is interesting that east hitched on the crucial trick after opening with a sub-minimum hand?

yes
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-September-11, 15:12

E isn't thinking with x or Qx, the hitch is irrelevant, no adjustment.

#15 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-September-11, 15:22

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-September-11, 15:12, said:

E isn't thinking with x or Qx, the hitch is irrelevant, no adjustment.

It wasn't a thinking it was a removal of a card from the hand and replace it and then pull it a second time to play. Surely this clearly indicates a choice of plays.
Wayne Burrows

#16 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-11, 15:37

We don't believe East was 'thinking'. We believe he pulled the wrong card (Queen) and swapped it.

So unless he more or less tells us he has only one card left to choose from, the adjustment seems inevitable.

#17 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-September-11, 15:41

First of all I find it amazing that anyone outside North America would think of adjusting on a guess without weighting the adjustment. How on earth can anyone believe that anyone would get a guess 100% correct with no infraction?

Second, it is an infraction to hesitate unintentionally in tempo-sensitive situations, and no, wyman, it is not just a "a de facto agreement among directors/players". Nor has it anything to do with "impugning the credibility of the defender". It is just illegal.

Law 73D1 says:

It is desirable, though not always required, for players to maintain steady tempo and unvarying manner. However, players should be particularly careful when variations may work to the benefit of their side. Otherwise, unintentionally to vary the tempo or manner in which a call or play is made is not in itself an infraction. Inferences from such variation may appropriately be drawn only by an opponent, and at his own risk.

The second sentence is the important one: in a tempo-sensitive situation a failure to be "particularly careful" is an infraction.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#18 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-September-11, 15:46

View PostCascade, on 2011-September-11, 14:55, said:

No.

:ph34r:

Is there anything East can do to extricate himself from this situation, or does declarer have a freebie here? Sometimes by a mechanical error, east will pull two cards, or they will stick, or something. I think east saying "sorry, no problem" opens another can of worms. If he had said, "sorry, two cards stuck together," or something similar, can the onus be lifted?

Sure, why not?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#19 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-11, 16:13

"However, players should be particularly careful when variations may work to the benefit of their side."

View Postbluejak, on 2011-September-11, 15:41, said:

The second sentence is the important one: in a tempo-sensitive situation a failure to be "particularly careful" is an infraction.

I will defer to others' knowledge of common rulings, but there have been many discussions on here in which people get nitty about the differences in wording between "should," "must," "may," etc.

Regardless of his actual holding, it's clear east had no problem playing the small heart here, and any error/difficulty that east had in extracting the card was purely mechanical. So I'm not sure why it's more plausible that east slipped up and pulled the heart queen and put it back to pull the small heart than it is that east accidentally pulled the card next to the small heart, whatever it was.

#20 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-11, 16:43

View Postwyman, on 2011-September-11, 16:13, said:

"However, players should be particularly careful when variations may work to the benefit of their side."

I will defer to others' knowledge of common rulings, but there have been many discussions on here in which people get nitty about the differences in wording between "should," "must," "may," etc.

Regardless of his actual holding, it's clear east had no problem playing the small heart here, and any error/difficulty that east had in extracting the card was purely mechanical. So I'm not sure why it's more plausible that east slipped up and pulled the heart queen and put it back to pull the small heart than it is that east accidentally pulled the card next to the small heart, whatever it was.

Accidents can be costly and can have consequences.
The relevant Law does not discuss intentions, motives, or the lack of either. It was unfortunate for E that the tempo break and related fumbles and switches happened in a tempo sensitive situation.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users