• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-November-08, 18:35

Final board of a close teams match; neither vul; you hold

AKxx
KT9xxx
x
Ax

Partner passes as dealer and RHO opens 1NT (12-14). You play multi-landy, so your options are Dbl (penalties), 2C (both majors) or 2D (one major).

What do you do?

If you bid 2 partner will bid 2. Are you worth another bid?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-08, 22:05

View Postdcrc2, on 2011-November-08, 18:35, said:

Final board of a close teams match; neither vul; you hold

AKxx
KT9xxx
x
Ax

Partner passes as dealer and RHO opens 1NT (12-14). You play multi-landy, so your options are Dbl (penalties), 2C (both majors) or 2D (one major).

What do you do?

I would start with 2, but i have to tell you that if u play 2 showing majors, after partner's simple preference you need to agree what those bids mean over 2 (or 2);

2NT
3NT

etc
etc

With the current hand you posted, even if you had these agreements, it is tuff call for me to be honest.

Here is what would go through my mind while looking at this auction and my hand;

Negatives

- Pd will not have 4 card most of the time, and if he has he must have reasons not to bid 3
- He is coming from pass
- Non vulnerable
- His major holdings are expected to be either 3+2 or 3+1 with 2-1 he would probably bid 2
- Even if i find prime major cards in his hand such as Qxx and Ax i still need more to make game even with 3-2 trump split. I will also need a 3-3

Positives

- I have prime cards
- I have good shape and spots in
- I have a good position behind the opener in regards to suit. (or suit if pd has JTx.. etc )
- Not likely but if pd has 4 i always want to be in game at IMPs.

Overall i would personally make another move whichever bid i listed above shows this 4-6. I am interested in what others think though. Good hand to post imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-November-08, 23:09

2C then pass

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-November-09, 03:20

2 followed by 3
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-November-09, 04:35

Landy + pass. Pard has ways of showing some life.

#6 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-09, 05:30

2C then pass 2S. Partner could have bid 2D then 2S, we may not have a fit and it's only a NV game.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-November-09, 08:32

I find this interesting. I learned that with 6-4 over a weak NT that one should show the 6 carder and suppress the 4 card suit unless partner shows some life. Of course this heart suit is nothing to write home about but I am sure I would have bid 2D and passed 2H before reading this thread.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-November-09, 08:36

I'd show a one-suiter in hearts. 6-4s don't usually play well in a 4-3 fit.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-09, 08:47

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-November-09, 08:32, said:

I find this interesting. I learned that with 6-4 over a weak NT that one should show the 6 carder and suppress the 4 card suit unless partner shows some life. Of course this heart suit is nothing to write home about but I am sure I would have bid 2D and passed 2H before reading this thread.

I think 2D would be fine if your hand was weaker, but here that course of action risks missing game in either major. If you start with Landy, you are well placed to pass 2S, raise 2H, or bid 3H over 2D knowing that you won't find a singleton heart opposite.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-November-09, 08:54

View PostMickyB, on 2011-November-09, 08:47, said:

I think 2D would be fine if your hand was weaker, but here that course of action risks missing game in either major. If you start with Landy, you are well placed to pass 2S, raise 2H, or bid 3H over 2D knowing that you won't find a singleton heart opposite.

Perhaps it depends on follow-ups somewhat. I would expect any invitational-plus hand with a doubleton or better in both majors to start with a 2NT enquiry to find out which major partner has and min-max. If partner has an invitational hand with short spades then they will probably start with a 2S response over which we can make a positive noise.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-09, 09:34

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-November-09, 08:54, said:

Perhaps it depends on follow-ups somewhat. I would expect any invitational-plus hand with a doubleton or better in both majors to start with a 2NT enquiry to find out which major partner has and min-max. If partner has an invitational hand with short spades then they will probably start with a 2S response over which we can make a positive noise.

Of course, this is just standard, but it doesn't get us to game if partner has 51 or xx Axx xxxx xxxx.

#12 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-09, 10:05

Why are my options only to use these conventions?
Would 3H show this hand naturally?

#13 User is offline   twoshy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-09, 18:57

MrAce said most of it. To add, the fairly common agreement that partner advances with 2 on most hands with 32 in the majors is very useful for this sort of situation; there'd be no need to choose between missing spades or playing a 43 instead of a 62. (The downside may come when you shy from overcalling with 44 in the majors.) Even without this agreement, I'll start with 2 before passing 2. Missing spades seems likely to be more costly.

#14 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-November-10, 10:02

If I bid landy and my partner has 2-3 in the majors, he will often bid 2D. Our agreement is that I will always pick hearts with equal length, and only bid 2S with longer spades. But if I bid landy and my partner is 3-2 in the majors, he'll pick spades.

This makes it more appealing to bid 2C with 6-4 than with 4-6 in the majors, unless we are planning to make another bid.

With this hand I'd bid 2D.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-November-10, 15:41

I definitely prefer bidding landy, if we have a game landy will be better. If we have a partscore 2D will probably be better on average but landy may work better, and with our hand being this good we could easily survive playing the wrong partscore when partner is 3-2 or 3-1. It just seems like a really small target to show a 1 suiter with a hand this good, we are basically playing for partner to have 3-2 or 3-1, and for 2H to make, and for 2S to go down, in order to win a partscore swing. I'm hoping to get to 4S and don't think it's that unlikely.

#16 User is offline   dcrc2 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-10, 17:44

At the table I bid 2 then 3, which was too much. Partner had Qxx x Kxxx Kxxxx.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users