BBO Discussion Forums: Non-Natural Systems - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Non-Natural Systems How much do you gain from your unique system?

#61 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-27, 06:50

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-March-27, 06:37, said:

What is a NNS? I tend to think precision and polish club are fairly natural. Even transfer openings are basically natural. Only relay systems are truly "non natural".

There are lots of trade-offs and cross overs in bidding. You want to work out what kind of style you like to play before you think about what kind of system. It is my observation that limited systems like precision favour a very aggressive style. I think standard 2/1 type systems favour a more conservative style, particularly in competition. If you like to open light and force to game on minimal hands, 2/1 is not for you imo. Similarly, if opening Axxxx Axx Qxx xx concerns you you probably arent making best use of the freedom precision allows you.

If you think that a particular NNS is significantly better than, say, 2/1+expert level continuations, you are definitely just wrong. For one thing, if it were true, experts would know it by now, and it would be come close to uniform in a short space of time.

Or you could have just *1ed my post on page 1 Phil!

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-January-04, 08:12, said:

For me the main advantage of playing relays as opposed to natural bidding is that it suits the way my brain works. The types of decisions change. It is not necessarily that these decisions are any easier than with natural but they are easier for me. I also find that the system is more consistent as there tends to be less guessing. Of course there are bad hands for the system as well as good ones. With world class players playing on both sides I doubt the system would be worth very much compared with, say, expert level 2/1. But I am not world class and at the level I play it is worth something.

<snip>

Most modern "natural" systems have codified sequences that resemble non-natural ones, and similarly most non-natural systems use natural bidding in some situations. Where do you draw the line for what is "natural" in this context?

I think we are agreeing on just about everything. Perhaps a better term here is Non-Standard system. My experience of most NSSs is that they are generally rather poor. When I see one that I think has merit I try to take some notice of it to see where it is doing well and where not. That occasionally gives me ideas on how to improve my own methods. I daresay that most other posters think the same way (that it is rather poor) about my NSS too.
(-: Zel :-)

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users