#1 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-02, 05:29

1:1
1:1NT

1 = natural or 11-13NT 2+, no 5-card major
1 = 4+
1 = 11-13 NT 2-3. Sometimes 2-4-(5-2) bids this way.
1NT = below invitational values, precisely four spades, no five-card suit

What should it mean now if opener rebids 2m?

a) Five-card suit
b) 5m4H
c) 3S4H4m
d) 4H4m
e) shouldn't exist
f) other

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-March-02, 07:49

Depends on your philosophy. 2 is rather non-interesting and natural. What else with as much as 7/4 but repeating diamonds?

2 should be something like 4-0-5-4, but one could decide to have a special treatment for 2, such as perhaps (1) 4-3-5-1 or 4-3-6-0 and extras (checkback option), or maybe (2) a stronger hand with four spades and longer diamonds, showing extras but allowing a stop at 2 if Responder is bust (self-cue option).
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-02, 07:53

I think a) is most sensible. At some point it's nice to show your 5-card suit and the 2 level doesn't seem to be too high.

I take it all of 1NT, 2, 2 show unbalanced hands or hands with 4 spades?

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-March-02, 07:49, said:

Depends on your philosophy. 2 is rather non-interesting and natural. What else with as much as 7/4 but repeating diamonds?

2 should be something like 4-0-5-4, but one could decide to have a special treatment for 2, such as perhaps (1) 4-3-5-1 or 4-3-6-0 and extras (checkback option), or maybe (2) a stronger hand with four spades and longer diamonds, showing extras but allowing a stop at 2 if Responder is bust (self-cue option).

Maybe you should re-read the conditions? :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-02, 09:50

Yeh, Gwnn. It is rare that Ken misses the conditions. I was surprised.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-March-02, 11:10

Oops! LOL

Let me try this again. Responder has shown four spades, and Opener has shown 2-3 spades. The conditions do not explaoin what Opener's option of instead bidding 1NT shows, as gwnn pointed out. I cannot tell whether 1NT (or 2 or 2 for that matter) promise four hearts or promise a stiff/void in spades, or what anything means. Trying to figure out what calls mean without context of what omitted calls mean is difficult.

Also, go back even further. The 1 call was defined as showing a potential of 2+ diamonds if 11-13 HCP. Does that mean balanced? Does that mean, if 2-card, then specifically 2335? Or, is canape relevant.

The reason that this is relevant to me is that we can exclude out (presumably) the "just clubs" hands because with 2-3-3-5 one would presumably pass 1NT. If one does not pass 1NT, then presumably one therefore has an unbalanced balanced hand with diamonds.

If this is the case, then I think the conditions have largely reversed from what I thought. It seemed to me when I read this incompletely that 2 would typically show 4054, but the natural would seem to be 3154, 3155 or 3164. The plausible other meanings might be (1) 3451 or (2) long diamonds with extras.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-02, 12:33

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-March-02, 11:10, said:

Let me try this again. Responder has shown four spades, and Opener has shown 2-3 spades. The conditions do not explaoin what Opener's option of instead bidding 1NT shows, as gwnn pointed out. I cannot tell whether 1NT (or 2 or 2 for that matter) promise four hearts or promise a stiff/void in spades, or what anything means. Trying to figure out what calls mean without context of what omitted calls mean is difficult.

Also, go back even further. The 1 call was defined as showing a potential of 2+ diamonds if 11-13 HCP. Does that mean balanced? Does that mean, if 2-card, then specifically 2335? Or, is canape relevant.

I think you should re-re-read the conditions.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-March-02, 13:10

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-02, 12:33, said:

I think you should re-re-read the conditions.

What the heck am I missing now?

I cannot see anything that suggests a limitation on the 1 opening when not natural other than 11-13 and no 4-card major. Could that mean 4-4-2-3? That's balanced. What about 0-0-2-11? That meets the definition so far. Granted, the 1 rebid seems to prove that only 2-0-2-9 is now possible in this bizarro world. It seems like balanced was intended. So, that does not seem to be what I am missing.

If you mean that 2425 ius possible, I would still think that passing is an option.

So, what am I missing now?

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-02, 13:38

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-March-02, 13:10, said:

What the heck am I missing now?

I cannot see anything that suggests a limitation on the 1 opening when not natural other than 11-13 and no 4-card major. Could that mean 4-4-2-3? That's balanced. What about 0-0-2-11? That meets the definition so far. Granted, the 1 rebid seems to prove that only 2-0-2-9 is now possible in this bizarro world. It seems like balanced was intended. So, that does not seem to be what I am missing.

I think that "11-13 NT" was shorthand for "an 11-13 notrump opening".

Does that mean, if 2-card, then specifically 2335?

I think that "Sometimes 2-4-(5-2) bids this way" means that opener can be 2452 or 2425. A 2452 or 2425 shape contains a douleton spade and is not 2335.

Anyway, perhaps it would be easier if I just told you what MickyB meant.

The 1 opening is one of:
(a) An unbalanced hand where the longest suit is diamonds
(b) Any hand that one would treat as 11-13 balanced, except that it excludes hands with a five-card major. This includes all 4333 shapes, all 4432 shapes, all 5332 shapes with clubs, all 5332 shapes with diamonds, and notrump-oriented 5422 shapes with a 5-card minor and a 4-card major. (Mike didn't specify what he would do with a 22(54) or (332)6.)

The 1 rebid shows any hand of type (b) which doesn't have four spades.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2012-March-02, 15:36

If 1 promises 11-13 balanced with 2-3 spades, then 2 or 2 should probably show a COV with 5m-3, then.

E.g.,

2 with AQx xx(x) xx(x) AQJxx.
2 same but diamonds.

Something like that.

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2012-March-02, 16:00

If responder could have 5 spades I'd agree with Ken, but he can't and the times 4-3 major fit is better than 1nt is a narrow target.

My question would be, can responder have 4 hearts? If so it seems important to find 44 heart fits at least when opener is not 3433. This points towards the 4H4m version.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#11 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-02, 17:55

Ty Gnasher.

View Postawm, on 2012-March-02, 16:00, said:

My question would be, can responder have 4 hearts?

Yup.

#12 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-05, 03:21

Without thinking about it too much I thought 4H5m. I feel like getting out of 1N should require a semi extreme hand and that is it (and obviously that's a hand where getting out of 1N will be right very often, if partner doesn't have 4 hearts they will often have 3m, and even if they don't a 5-2 fit is often fine).

#13 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2012-March-05, 03:44

For MP I'd say option e)

At IMPs I see uses for both Ken's suggestion and Justin's suggestion. The other minor should always be weak to bid this.

Then it just comes down to frequency analysis ;)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users