Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rock Beyond Belief

#1 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-24, 01:26

I can't remember the last time I read a piece of good news that actually convinced me that any aspect of American society might be getting better.

"After a sometimes painful 18 months of gestation, Sgt. Justin Griffith of Fort Bragg, N.C., exclaims, "My baby is about to be born!" His baby is Rock Beyond Belief, apparently the first major atheist event on a U.S. military base. ..."

The rest of the story.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-March-24, 07:48

From the story, I'd like to know what the Army was doing sponsoring a Billy Graham Evangelical gathering in the first place? It is critical to maintain a secular government - this Onward Christian Soldier mentality of the U.S. military is unhealthy.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#3 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 12:07

View PostWinstonm, on 2012-March-24, 07:48, said:

From the story, I'd like to know what the Army was doing sponsoring a Billy Graham Evangelical gathering in the first place? It is critical to maintain a secular government - this Onward Christian Soldier mentality of the U.S. military is unhealthy.

Well, yes, that part is admittedly disgusting, but I already knew that the US Army is overrun with religious zealots. Jesus killed Mohammed
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-25, 01:57

The military also has chaplains on duty at most posts, don't they? Religion is a big part of the lives of most military personnel -- the Army needs to provide this just as much as they need to provide food and shelter for them. It's necessary to maintain morale, much like bringing in entertainment is.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-March-25, 09:26

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-25, 01:57, said:

The military also has chaplains on duty at most posts, don't they? Religion is a big part of the lives of most military personnel -- the Army needs to provide this just as much as they need to provide food and shelter for them. It's necessary to maintain morale, much like bringing in entertainment is.

Military chaplains are there to be non-denominational. What is occurring is evangelical-based. That is the distiction and also the problem.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

#6 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-26, 13:19

Incidentally, if you live near Fort Bragg, the event is open to the public.

I had this brief email exchange with the event organizer, Sergeant Justin Griffith:

Me: You, Sergeant, are an American hero. Good luck with your event.

Him: Thanks for the support! Please come out to Fort Bragg on Saturday! Or spam our information everywhere, whatever you can do… or else you hate the troops. (:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users