• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rabbit

#1 User is offline   swanway 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-June-02, 06:37

EBU

Recently a bridge player I know referred to some bridge beginners as 'rabbits'. He certainly did not intend in any way to offend anybody. However, it got a swift reaction and several people said it was a terrible word to describe beginners. I have looked up the word in a 'Bridge Players Dictionary'. The book is very old. It is in latin!!! It clearly says that inexperienced players are called rabbits. Does anybody else use this word. I think it does sound offensive.

#2 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-02, 07:53

Seems like everybody these days are quick to get their feelings hurt.

Just call them n00bs in the present vernacular .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-02, 09:50

Maybe "bunnies" won't seem as offensive, since they're cuter. :)

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-02, 10:01

It is common enough that I have heard it quite a few times over the years, but not routinely. Although perhaps I hear it less often because they are calling me the rabbit, when I am not around Posted Image

Anyway, I would not be offended (rather, motivated), but I can see how some people would be.

For what it's worth, I take the term to have a connotation of a player who has been playing a while but is still bad; not so much as a true beginner (who could be the next Meckstroth for all we know).
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-02, 10:24

It's in fairly common use, together with synonyms like "bunny". I don't think it's any more or less offensive than "bad player".

It's offensive to rabbits, I suppose, in the same way as "old fool" is offensive to old people.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2012-June-02, 10:47

I generally don't take offense when no offense is intended but I find it difficult to believe that no offense was intended. Did the speaker intend it as a compliment?

If someone calls me a bad player I can acknowledge that, compared to some, I surely am. Compared to others, I surely am not. If someone calls me a rabbit, what am I to make of that? I have large ears? A twitchy nose? Mostly I write the guy off as a jerk. And I would acknowledge that I did indeed intend that to be offensive.
Ken

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-June-02, 12:39

I'm used to the term from cricket where it carries no offence, a rabbit is somebody who can't bat (although presumably can bowl or keep), and the terminology extends to a batsman who's out being "back in the hutch".

I'd imagine it's marginally more offensive in bridge as it implies a bad player in general with no redeeming feature. The term "bunny bashing" for making a score by taking the absolute maximum off the less good players while trying to hold your own against the good players is very standard, but as it isn't targeted carries no offence.

#8 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-02, 13:11

I would say not offensive at all, more a statement of fact. And certainly no more offensive than the EBU calling you a 'two'.
I'm living proof that the 'rabbits' will get over it as my BBO ID was coined many years ago(by others) when I went through an unlucky spell as declarer.

#9 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-02, 14:55

Better or worse than being a muppet?

#10 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-June-02, 15:02

Bunnies or rabbits are good terms to describe weaker players in general, but I would never target specific players with those terms, more likely using the term in contexts like "that treatment may work against bunnies, but that isn't something that's going to hold up against good players".
Chris Gibson

#11 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2012-June-02, 16:32

Just out of curiosity, how did the rabbit respond?

Player A referred to player B as a rabbit and player B said/did?
I can think of a number of possible retorts, some perhaps clever, none suitable for print here.
Which, of course, is why one should not start this name calling in the first place.

The context was not given. I am assuming these guys were not old buddies. If they are, they can do as they please. But random player A at the club should not be publicly giving his assessment of random player B, no matter if he thinks B is a rabbit, a grizzly, or an elk.
Ken

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-02, 20:05

I wonder if there's a relationship with the Rueful Rabbit? If the term goes way back, maybe Mollo chose the rabbit for this character based on the old slang.

When people talk behind other people's backs, they're bound to use colorful language; that's how people gossip and tell stories. As long as you don't call someone a rabbit to their face, I don't think it's too terrible.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-June-04, 01:03

As far as I know this term comes from the chess world where, for example, certain openings are known as "bunny-killers" because they are such a good way for better players to get weaker players into positions where they can be outplayed. There was also a famous and classic book, Chess for Tigers, which made extensive use of the term. I have also used the term on occasion relating to bridge (usually with reference to certain styles of play being good against weaker players) but never directly to the opponents! It is pretty much the same as beating your opponents soundly and then telling them they are crap. I know a few players round here that do do that and consider it extremely rude.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users