• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beware of the dog!

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-01, 05:36

so what's more dangerous than Fluffy? a Fluffy with a TD license, and that's what you got now! :). 93/100 score credit me as a regional tournament director in Spain.

So not to make this post toatlly useless a couple of questions regarding what arose yesterday at the club (literarilly everything happened yesterday):

NOTE: I am not the TD of the tournament, it is officially my aunt. Yet I normally do all the organizing stuff and she just enters results and manages the money/revokes while I play. Its more like co-directing that anything else.

a) The tournament is suposed to start at 18:00. But actually many poeple arrive 5 minutes late. At 17:56 or so I counted the tables and there were 12-13 tables (pretty low, we normally are 17-21 on thursdays), on saturdays where this is more common this means we only use the 13 tables in a "row" around the "border"of the room, leaving the centre alone. I asked a pair sitting in the middle of the room to move into the table #6 wich was empty in the line. She said no way, becuse something with air conditioning flow hitting directly there or something. In the end I let her stay there and had a hole in the ussual row wich caused of course minor problems with people not noticing. How should I deal with this pair?

b) At 17:58 since tables #5 and #9 had only one pair in them, I asked people on table #13 to split and fill the gaps one each, this caused yet again a lot of discussion, becuase we are a complete table, they should fill each other blablabla, and because some table was too hot, and some other pair didn't want to play against one of the pairs being "free". They kept complaining and in the end somehow one filled #5, but the other managed to convince a pair who was in #12 to move and sit in #9 sitting themselves on #12. How should I del with this?

c) At 18:04 or so we had to stop the tournament and take back all the boards off the tables (happilly nobody had done anything more than shuffle and deal) and give 3 hands/round. I wanted to make "twins" but my aunt said the software doesn't support it. And this old people missdo a lot anyway, she is in charge so I accept her deccision. No real question here.

d) At 18:12 happens a revelation, there are 2 full tables hidden in the room "next to us", with the door that connects them closed I didn't notice, and why are they there? because air conditioning is on there. Why isn't everyone? because the room is noisy with 3 other tables playing "domino" hitting the tables as hard as they can with their pieces. To be fair, they usually sit there each thursday when the big room is crowded, but I didn't check. I got very angry with this and we had a small shouting between blaming each other. Regardless of that what do I do? Only solution I found is to put boards 37-42 into play (hands 5-10 from the second set). Was it correct?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-June-01, 06:04

My answer to all of these questions:

Whatever works.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 06:29

Sounds like a pretty normal night at a pretty healthy club.

People are fussy, those who would organize people must adapt.

Enjoy your new TD job. I think you could be good at it.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 08:54

View PostFluffy, on 2012-June-01, 05:36, said:

a) The tournament is suposed to start at 18:00. But actually many poeple arrive 5 minutes late.

As long as this is tolerated, this will continue to happen.

Either you make a big announcement that play really will start at 1800, and then consistently exclude everyone who arrives late, so they learn not to be late
or
You have an unofficial start time and don't decide on the movement until the unofficial start time arrives.
or
You have a kind of in-between thing where people can arrive a bit late provided they have phoned in to tell you by some certain time that they will be late, the rest are excluded.

Your decision as to what works best in your club.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-June-01, 09:25

Including pairs that habitually stroll in five minutes after game time would be unheard of here.

You can handle one pair that does this. If you have a sitout, the latecomers solve a problem. Even with a full movement, you can run a bump, but a lot of the time, I would say "sorry".
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 09:49

The only real suggestion I would make is this: it sounds like your club, or at least this particular game, is too large and high maintenance for a playing director. To really do this well, you will probably need to be not playing.

Beyond that, it sounds like a matter of learning the peculiarities of your members and working around them. Ideally you would establish a system and get them to adapt to it over time, so that eventually things are more regular. You may find that the, er, more seasoned members may tend to be more stubborn and resistant to change; but usually they also tend to appreciate consistently and reliability.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 10:48

Welcome to Tournament Directing! Someone did tell you that the legal stuff is possibly the least important part of the game, right?

Rule #n (not in the Law book, but a rule nonetheless):
"TD, the room is way too hot! Can't you do something about that?"
"TD, the room is way too cold! Can't you do something about that?"

The players will *never* be happy with the room temperature.

Having said that, I did play a regional in Hamilton with a woman in a wheelchair. It was -20 outside with a wind, and the window next to our table didn't quite close completely. The cold air came in the window, down the floor-length drapes, and across our feet. I could (and did!) sit on my feet on the chair, where it was warm. My partner...couldn't. I have to admit I didn't notice or think about it, or I would have called the TD (yes, even round 3 of 13), and asked them to do something about it, and if it means putting a note on that table saying "A12 is Over There -->" then so be it.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   Chris3875 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-01, 17:37

..... and congratulations on your great score in the exam Fluffy :D
Australia

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-June-01, 17:48

We have a woman here who runs what was at one time, and may still be, technically an invitational game, limited to those with fewer than 300 master points. Several years ago, a couple of her players made life master. She "grandfathered" them, allowing them to continue to play in the game. Later, some others made life master, so she grandfathered them, too. Some of these people have stated that they continue to play in this game because "we can win master points there". Most of them also play in the Open games around town, and occasionally they win master points in those games (although perhaps not as many or as often).

Last Wednesday, a couple of her legitimate 299ers showed up a few minutes late. The room was already filled to capacity (including at least two pairs with over 300 master points), so she sent them away. Personally, I think that's deplorable. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 22:32

so what's more dangerous than Fluffy? a Fluffy with a TD license, and that's what you got now! :). 93/100 score credit me as a regional tournament director in Spain.

So not to make this post toatlly useless a couple of questions regarding what arose yesterday at the club (literarilly everything happened yesterday):

NOTE: I am not the TD of the tournament, it is officially my aunt. Yet I normally do all the organizing stuff and she just enters results and manages the money/revokes while I play. Its more like co-directing that anything else.

a) The tournament is suposed to start at 18:00. But actually many poeple arrive 5 minutes late. At 17:56 or so I counted the tables and there were 12-13 tables (pretty low, we normally are 17-21 on thursdays), on saturdays where this is more common this means we only use the 13 tables in a "row" around the "border"of the room, leaving the centre alone. I asked a pair sitting in the middle of the room to move into the table #6 wich was empty in the line. She said no way, becuse something with air conditioning flow hitting directly there or something. In the end I let her stay there and had a hole in the ussual row wich caused of course minor problems with people not noticing. How should I deal with this pair?

b) At 17:58 since tables #5 and #9 had only one pair in them, I asked people on table #13 to split and fill the gaps one each, this caused yet again a lot of discussion, becuase we are a complete table, they should fill each other blablabla, and because some table was too hot, and some other pair didn't want to play against one of the pairs being "free". They kept complaining and in the end somehow one filled #5, but the other managed to convince a pair who was in #12 to move and sit in #9 sitting themselves on #12. How should I del with this?

c) At 18:04 or so we had to stop the tournament and take back all the boards off the tables (happilly nobody had done anything more than shuffle and deal) and give 3 hands/round. I wanted to make "twins" but my aunt said the software doesn't support it. And this old people missdo a lot anyway, she is in charge so I accept her deccision. No real question here.

d) At 18:12 happens a revelation, there are 2 full tables hidden in the room "next to us", with the door that connects them closed I didn't notice, and why are they there? because air conditioning is on there. Why isn't everyone? because the room is noisy with 3 other tables playing "domino" hitting the tables as hard as they can with their pieces. To be fair, they usually sit there each thursday when the big room is crowded, but I didn't check. I got very angry with this and we had a small shouting between blaming each other. Regardless of that what do I do? Only solution I found is to put boards 37-42 into play (hands 5-10 from the second set). Was it correct?

Congrats !

Seating problems, I would tell these difficult players that they won't be playing tonight so they might as well go home ! Late arrivals if you can still fit them in, get an automatic Avg minus.

Having said that, you really need to anticipate such problems, if possible. Surprised club management haven't got a policy on these situations.

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-June-02, 07:37

One of the executive officers in my first ship (I had three in a three year tour) used to say "you have to expect a few setbacks" - implying that you should plan for them. This is, of course, an application of Murphy's Law ("anything that can go wrong will go wrong", "any time things seem to be going well, you've overlooked something"). Murphy, of course, was an optimist. B-) Anyway:

a) "Do I understand correctly? You are refusing to follow the instructions of the director?" If they say yes, issue them a DP. About half a top seems appropriate, for a first offense. If they say no, they'll move.

b) As above. YMMV, but the ACBL's general conditions of contest specify that refusing to play another pair will have dire penalties:

The refusal of a player, pair or team in an ACBL sanctioned Sectional, Regional, NABC, Grand National or North American Pair event to play against another player, pair or team duly entered in the event shall require the disqualification of the player, pair or team refusing to play from further participation in the event and the forfeiture of any masterpoints earned by the player, pair or team in the event. Such refusal shall constitute conduct unbecoming a member of the ACBL and shall be referred to the disciplinary body having jurisdiction for appropriate disciplinary action.

c) I gather this was because of newly arriving pairs. If you know people are typically five minutes late, I wouldn't pass the boards out until say ten after.

d) You know this might happen, so probably just before you pass the boards around you should check this room. Every time. See "Murphy's Law" above. Also, as I'm sure you've realized, getting angry and into a shouting match is counterproductive. Just calmly suggest that next time they should either sit in the main room, or notify you that they're in the other room. Yes, you'll need to put more boards into play for the added tables. I would consider a two table appendix to the basic movement on which you've already decided. That way you get to keep the same number of rounds (of course, if you don't care how long the session will last, you can just amend the movement from (I gather) a twelve table Mitchell to a fourteen table Mitchell. In that case, you may have to move the bye-stand (unless you're playing a skip Mitchell). An odd number of tables is easier.

As someone else suggested, having club management publish regulations governing these things (and others) would be helpful. At least everyone can know ahead of time what's expected of them.

Sounds to me like your first day went rather well, considering. Congratulations on your new status!
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-02, 08:42

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-June-02, 07:37, said:

c) I gather this was because of newly arriving pairs. If you know people are typically five minutes late, I wouldn't pass the boards out until say ten after.

This suggestion is somewhat dubuious. In my early days I had a partner that stated that the event would start at least a half hour after scheduled and thus insisted we would not be leaving until game time for the 30 minute trip to the playing area.

On one occasion where the policy was to accomodate late players an event at a major tournament was delayed twenty times for what turned out to be 3 hours.

The moral is that they who are habitually 5 minutes late will become habitually 5 minutes early the occasion that the game starts on time, and without them.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-02, 10:26

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-June-02, 07:37, said:

When players start to notice this, I suspect everyone will just shift their schedule: the players who used to be early will show up just on time, so they don't have to wait as long for the game to start, while the players who were habitually late will show up even later.

Try to start on time, so that only the late players are inconvenienced. Occasionally, you may hear that there's a traffic problem occurring, then it's reasonable to be accomodating to all the people who couldn't get there on time due to circumstances outside their control.

#14 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-02, 14:57

View Postbarmar, on 2012-June-02, 10:26, said:

When players start to notice this, I suspect everyone will just shift their schedule: the players who used to be early will show up just on time, so they don't have to wait as long for the game to start, while the players who were habitually late will show up even later.

Try to start on time, so that only the late players are inconvenienced. Occasionally, you may hear that there's a traffic problem occurring, then it's reasonable to be accomodating to all the people who couldn't get there on time due to circumstances outside their control.

And when they get used to the routines they will call you from their mobiles to tell that they are coming but are stuck in some traffic jam.

Then they will get a sitout to begin with, but they get to play and everybody are happy.

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-June-02, 23:19

View Postbarmar, on 2012-June-02, 10:26, said:

Yes, that's probably better in the long run. My point though was that in the short run at least you shouldn't put the boards out until just about everyone is there. Best, I think, is to write a regulation that says "game time is 1800. Players who are not seated by 1755 will be accommodated only if they provide an acceptable excuse to the TD for their tardiness." The problem with that, of course, is the at least some folks will just make something up, and then the TD has to decide whether he believes them. You just can't win. :ph34r:
--------------------

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users