BBO Discussion Forums: Any correction rights for declarer or dummy on an obvious mis-call? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any correction rights for declarer or dummy on an obvious mis-call? What's a pause for thought, anyway? (...and what's "obvio

#21 User is offline   Fujiko 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-June-15, 13:07

View Postbluejak, on 2012-June-15, 09:43, said:

Why not call the TD then?

Apparently I should have. My previous experience (I do this with alarming frequency :( ) had been that so long as your opponent followed to the trick, it was established.

It's quite possible that's wrong, which would be very good to know. (Although 'quit doing that' should be the ultimate solution to this one...)

#22 User is offline   schulken 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-03, 15:25

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-June-14, 16:31, said:

I think that when you realize you miscalled, as long as you have not subsequently played from your own hand, you can change your designation (Law 45C4{b}). If RHO has played, he can withdraw it (same law).

Today, this happened to me: I was declarer, there were a bunch of spades on the dummy, and the 8, 6, and 3 of hearts. I called for the nine of spades, but what came out of my mouth was "nine of hearts". Dummy, the dummy, picked up the eight of hearts, and RHO played a heart. I said "hang on, I meant 9 of *spades*". RHO, a club director herself, said "I'll let you change it, as long as you let me change my card". So that's what we did. Technically, we should have called the TD, of course. :ph34r:

Clearly, the facts and circumstances here are different than in the OP. Part of dummy's limited responsibilities are to keep declarer from committing an infraction. L46B.4. voids such a call. This points out the value - be it pedantic or not - of calling for the card by suit and rank, although all of us have made this same mistake.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users