• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-June-12, 10:37

I swear, I was doing this before it got mocked on Portlandia

This year I joined a CSA, which is really great aside from the fact that you have 10-20 pounds of veggies dumped on your doorstep at once.

Like our forbears before use, I have been forced to start pickling veggies to avoid spoilage and, you know what?
Its really fun...

I've been making a lot of traditional lacto-fermented pickled (sauerkraut, kim-chi, dill pickles, etc.)
At the moment, I have a couple batches of carrot dill pickles going, along with a bunch of garlic scapes and a BIG batch of preserved lemons.

There's a weird little store in New Hampshire that (basically) installs fermentation locks onto gasket topped french pickling jars.
Makes the entire process quite simple.

http://www.pickl-it.com/

Better yet, the covers that they make can be mixed and matched with the standard jars you get down at the local discount store.
(Buy 2-3 of the ones from pickl it, and then get whatever other ones you want for cheap)

I'm having a blast and producing some quite good food...
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-June-12, 11:57

Richard,

My sister-in-law preserves much of my brother's garden. A couple of her specialities are pickled watermelon rinds and pickled pumpkin rinds. I don't know how to do it but can attest to the tastiness factor - yum, yum.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users