• You cannot reply to this topic

Were we in fault ?

#21 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-June-29, 19:21

View PostAlexJonson, on 2012-June-29, 17:53, said:

Phil I asked why ace posted again, not the first time.

He explained what happened after the fact? Not sure what you are driving at.

LOLZ Timo.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#22 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-June-30, 05:31

View PostMrAce, on 2012-June-29, 19:01, said:

2- Gnasher commented about the pauses and tempo of the play, so i explained what went thru my mind with more details and try to tell him my approximate delay at trick 1.

Knowing the absolute length of your pause doesn't really tell us anything. We have to compare the time you took on this deal with the time that you would normally take.

It's a good habit to routinely pause after declarer plays quickly at trick one, regardless of whether you're thinking or not. That would avoid giving UI on a deal like this. I know that the online culture tends to discourage unnecessary pauses, but if you're playing seriously enough to care about the consequences of UI, you're playing seriously enough to try to avoid giving UI.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-30, 07:26

View Postgnasher, on 2012-June-30, 05:31, said:

It's a good habit to routinely pause after declarer plays quickly at trick one, regardless of whether you're thinking or not.

I would recommend a slightly different approach: it's a good habit to routinely pause for 20 to 30 seconds at trick one to plan your defense, even if that planning only actually takes you one millisecond.

View Postgnasher, on 2012-June-30, 05:31, said:

That would avoid giving UI on a deal like this. I know that the online culture tends to discourage unnecessary pauses, but if you're playing seriously enough to care about the consequences of UI, you're playing seriously enough to try to avoid giving UI.

True.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-30, 11:40

I dont understand you guys, sorry.

People, when they are analysing the lead, the whole hand and how to defend do not, can not at the same time look at their watch or count the seconds they spend. It is ridicilious imo. The level of paranoia overrates the information of UI.

Not every hand is at the same difficulty to think about. Imo due to this nature of the game, and for the sake of good bridge, the penalties to the delays especially at T1, should be reconsidered. We may sit down and try to make game fair thinking that everyone is ill intended. But this takes a lot from bridge.

I mean you guys can sit and try to make your moves 20-30 seconds each time at T1. You maybe multi tasking, i am not. I cant focus on both defense and concern about the time at the same time. I will play fast and try to save time for everyone at the table when i have nothing to think about, and i will tell everyone that i need time to think when i need it. Do i deliver UI sometimes ? Probably yes. Do i do it intentionally ? No It is my pd's duty to protect us by taking the action he is expected to take w/o delay.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-June-30, 12:50

Timo, playing fast without thinking through the whole hand at trick 1 does not demonstrably save any time at all. It saves time to complete trick 1, but it often costs time later in the hand when you have to make a decision, remember what has been played, think about the HCP expected for partner & opener, etc. By doing your thinking ahead of time, you don't have to spend time remembering what has been played, at the very least, and it saves time later.

I think it was SJ Simon who said as much in Why You Lose at Bridge, but it could have been Reese instead in one of his books; either way, this is not my idea so much as it is me parroting someone much better at bridge than I am, but I still think it applies.
Chris Gibson

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-30, 14:13

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-June-29, 06:48, said:

On line, I don't understand how telling all three players you have a problem is better than just acting when you are ready to act. Nobody needs to know whether your spouse interupted, your mouse froze, or whatever. Thinking is least likely of anything, on line.

Online players tend to be very impatient, and often start complaining "pls play" if you take longer than 20 seconds. I suspect part of it is precisely because they can't tell why you're not playing -- the uncertainty makes them antsy.

#27 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-June-30, 14:30

View PostMrAce, on 2012-June-30, 11:40, said:

Not every hand is at the same difficulty to think about. Imo due to this nature of the game, and for the sake of good bridge, the penalties to the delays especially at T1, should be reconsidered. We may sit down and try to make game fair thinking that everyone is ill intended. But this takes a lot from bridge.

It may not be the same difficulty for you but its a good idea to let your partner get caught up and process, especially if you can anticipate an early decision. The more you do this, the more you'll just get into the habit of playing slowly at T1 as third hand. And as Andy says, the more you do it, the more the UI issues become minimized.

Watch Crush sometime - or Fred. Their early tempo is a model for players.
Hi y'all!

#28 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-June-30, 15:24

View PostPhil, on 2012-June-30, 14:30, said:

It may not be the same difficulty for you but its a good idea to let your partner get caught up and process, especially if you can anticipate an early decision. The more you do this, the more you'll just get into the habit of playing slowly at T1 as third hand. And as Andy says, the more you do it, the more the UI issues become minimized.

Watch Crush sometime - or Fred. Their early tempo is a model for players.

I am not sure but i think by law you are not allowed to slow the game to help your pd figure out things when you know what to play.

Anyway, here is what i do (assuming i am playing at real table) at T1 as 3rd seat defender.

I analyse the bidding, the lead, study dummy and count hcps and possible shapes. After that i try to figure if there is any false carding or deceptive play positions or if there is any suit that declarer may try to gain info from my tempo by playing fast and decide which card i will play if he does so. During this process if i already decided which card to play at T1 i put it face down on the table and let em know i am thinking the whole hand. If i am not putting my card on the table it means i havent decided what i will play at T1.

One thing i dont do is, i never check my clock or count to figure how much time i spend doing this every hand. It maybe 5 seconds or 20 seconds or it maybe 60 seconds sometimes. I dont really care about UI really since i am not doing it intentionally. Whatever i decide at the end of my thinking process i expect my pd to do the right thing.
I have no idea how you guys can give numbers like 20-30 seconds and try to obey it, because i have no time concept while i am trying to focus on something else more important to me.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#29 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-30, 15:31

View PostMrAce, on 2012-June-30, 15:24, said:

I am not sure but i think by law you are not allowed to slow the game to help your pd figure out things when you know what to play.

If you think for approximately the same time on trick 1 for most deals, then I don't think you could be accused of slowing down specifically for pd's sake. It's just maintaining consistent tempo, and as an added value it may allow partner to think as well.

In general, everyone should be allowed some time to think about the entire hand after dummy comes down. It's a significant amount of information that needs to be processed. Neither defender should be denied this opportunity just because the other players played quickly to the trick.

#30 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-June-30, 18:06

View PostMrAce, on 2012-June-30, 15:24, said:

Anyway, here is what i do (assuming i am playing at real table) at T1 as 3rd seat defender.

I analyse the bidding, the lead, study dummy and count hcps and possible shapes. After that i try to figure if there is any false carding or deceptive play positions or if there is any suit that declarer may try to gain info from my tempo by playing fast and decide which card i will play if he does so. During this process if i already decided which card to play at T1 i put it face down on the table and let em know i am thinking the whole hand. If i am not putting my card on the table it means i havent decided what i will play at T1.

One thing i dont do is, i never check my clock or count to figure how much time i spend doing this every hand. It maybe 5 seconds or 20 seconds or it maybe 60 seconds sometimes. I dont really care about UI really since i am not doing it intentionally. Whatever i decide at the end of my thinking process i expect my pd to do the right thing.
I have no idea how you guys can give numbers like 20-30 seconds and try to obey it, because i have no time concept while i am trying to focus on something else more important to me.

This will take a good 30 seconds on every hand. Your original question was whether or not you created a problem for your partner and I cannot see how this can be the case.
Hi y'all!

#31 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-July-01, 11:24

View PostPhil, on 2012-June-29, 19:21, said:

He explained what happened after the fact? Not sure what you are driving at.

LOLZ Timo.

Just wanted to know if there were more issues Mr Ace wanted to bring out, seems maybe there were.

#32 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-03, 04:37

View PostMrAce, on 2012-June-28, 19:23, said:

Were we in fault ?

Sure, you decided to lose your time playing against this player :)

#33 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-July-03, 16:19

View PostAlexJonson, on 2012-July-01, 11:24, said:

Just wanted to know if there were more issues Mr Ace wanted to bring out, seems maybe there were.

Waaaaaa waaaaa waaa :D

What happened sweetheart ? Did i hurt your feelings in BBO or somewhere else that i am not aware of ?

Issues ? I am not the one who contributed nothing but attempted to troll out of nowhere.

If you have something to say dont mumble, shoot it ;) Its ok i am a big man i can handle it. It feels bad to see someone who is trying hard but just cant get it out as if he is constipated in words. Shoot it whatever it is, trust me you will feel much better :D

Did someone put a gun on your head to read my posts ?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users