• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing the wrong boards

#1 User is offline   swanway 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-03, 01:08

English Bridge Union

I am having problems scoring some boards in a session we played recently.

Round one. Pairs 4 & 1 should be playing boards 1-3. Instead they play boards 7-9. We do not play late boards. Am I correct in saying that the scores for 7-9 stand? Pairs 4 & 1 are given an AV- (40%) on boards 1-3 because they did not play the boards?

Now the problem starts.

We were playing a 5 table Howell movement and there was a missing pair.

Later in the evening Pair 4 is playing against pair 2 boards 7-9. These boards have already been played and scored by Pair 4. So Pair 2 should get a score of Av+ (60%).

However when Pair 1 has to play boards 7-9 they have a sit out because of the missing pair.

How do I score this on a computer scoring program? I just don't know how to do it. The 'HELP' section does not cover this problem. Everything I try is rejected by the scoring program.

Help!!!

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-July-03, 01:25

What scoring program are you using?
In both PairsScorer and ScoreBridge it is possible to edit the travellers so they corrrespond to how the board was actually played.
In PairsScorer this is done by clicking on the pair numbers on the left of the "Enter Scores" panel and entering the new pair number in the pop-up box.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   swanway 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-July-03, 02:06

Thank you for your reply

I use Scorebridge. My problem is I know how to change the scorer to reflect how the board was actually played. But I ended up with two pair 4's. On the score sheet of boards 7-9 I knew how to make the changes you suggested. However I had two pair 4's. 4 v 1 (wrong board played) and 4 v 2 (what should have been played) where I had to give pair 2 a score of 60%

#4 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-July-03, 07:13

I understand the problem, which occurs because Pair 1 were due to sitout these boards.

If there was no sitout and 1 was due to play 7-9 against pair 3 (say) then on the travellers for 7-9 you would edit to have 1v4 with the score they got, and have 2v3 with AVE+/AVE+; on the travellers for 1-3 you score 1v4 as AVE-/AVE-.

When there is a sitout you are going to have more work. On the travellers for 7-9 you should edit to have 1v4 with the score they got, and edit to have pair 2 sitting out those boards; on the travellers for 1-3 you score 1v4 as AVE-/AVE-.

This results in Pair 1 having more results than they were scheduled to have (including the three AVE-s from 1-3) but this seems the right/fair way to calculate their percentage.

It also results in Pair 2 having fewer results than they were scheduled and being denied three AVE+ scores they were entitled to. This is unfair, so you should recalculate the final score for Pair 2 (by hand) by adding 3xAVE+ to their match points, and adding 3xTOP to their possible maximum score.

[If you are very lucky, Pair 2 will have score more than 60% overall, and the final recalculation must not be done.]

P.S.
A truely versatile program would allow you to add a line to the travellers for 7-9 showing Pair 2 v nobody, with Pair 2 scoring AVE+ and "nobody" scoring "not played". Perhaps scorebridge is such a program!

This post has been edited by RMB1: 2012-July-03, 07:17

Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-04, 02:23

View Postiphoneboss, on 2012-July-04, 02:09, said:

I already used score boards too. and always love to play with those boards and i want to add that ,the English Bridge Union or EBU is a player-funded organisation that promotes and organises the card game of duplicate bridge in England. It has an office in Aylesbury with a staff of more than twenty people. The EBU is a member of the European Bridge League and thus affiliated with the World Bridge Federation, which promulgates the laws of the game.

It's hard to see what point you are trying to make here in this thread.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-09, 14:25

If this is round 1, and (one assumes) only one set of boards are in play, then boards 7-9 aren't being played by whoever should be doing it - or 7-9 is sitting out this round (please note, this seems odd to me, because my 5-table howell starts with 1-15 on the tables, and 16-27 on the bye-stand.)

If 7-9 is supposed to be being played round 1, what boards are the pairs who are supposed to play them playing?
If 7-9 are supposed to sit out round 1, well and good.

Is it possible to keep the misboarding all night? boards 7-9 are in play whenever and wherever 1-3 are "supposed" to be played; boards 1-3 are in play where the cards say 7-9 go.

I don't know if scorebridge allows this, but this is a simple swap in ACBLScore. It does mean keeping a weather eye on the movement of those boards, and preempting all the "but we're not supposed to play these" calls; but it avoids having the dead round(s).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-July-18, 06:42

View Postgordontd, on 2012-July-04, 02:23, said:

It's hard to see what point you are trying to make here in this thread.

Look at his username, then at his sig, now at his posts, put two and two and two together and get six him banned from the BBO forums for advertising? I've made the report for the post above.

ahydra

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users