BBO Discussion Forums: Another misheard explanation - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another misheard explanation

#21 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-27, 19:53

View Postbarmar, on 2012-August-09, 07:54, said:

Actually, it's BECAUSE he's hard of hearing that I think he's less likely to ask for repetition. If he asked this every time he only heard part of something, he'd be doing it all the time, inconveniencing everyone around. People with disabilities sometimes try harder so as not to be a burden.

On the other hand, if you have normal hearing, you don't feel self-conscious about asking someone to repeat themselves on the infrequent occasions when it's needed (you unconsciously assume it's their fault for not speaking clearly in the first place).

I am deaf in my left ear and hearing only part of things is a normal occurrence. I got sick of asking people to repeat themselves long ago, now I just rely on context to figure out how the isolated bits I hear all fit together. I imagine that guy does that as well.

Also something similar happened to me a little while ago. We play 1 shows exactly four spades and a 1 response is a relay, 10+ points. When the lady on my right asked what 1 was, I said, "10+ points, any shape, says nothing about hearts" but she heard something like "shows 10+ points, any shape with lots of hearts" so she declined to bid her AQJT5 heart suit and got upset at the end when it turned out they had a nine-card fit. I was as apologetic as I could possibly be, and lucky she didn't complain to the director. Still not sure what the best explanation is, if I say "10+ points, any shape" carefully avoiding using the word "hearts" they sometimes assume any shape that includes four hearts. I also play weak takeouts over 1NT, but I usually say "to play" when asked, rather than mention transfers, since I can imagine that scenario happening :-)
I Transfers

#22 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-27, 20:42

I find it hard for anyone to not hear the first word of most explanations: "Artificial".
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-27, 21:11

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-August-27, 20:42, said:

I find it hard for anyone to not hear the first word of most explanations: "Artificial".

People can have some really strangely selective hearing. I've heard "does it say anything about <name of my long suit>?" Several times after "Artificial". I've even heard it once after "Artificial, says nothing about <name of, as it turns out, opponent's long suit>".

Today, my partner opened 2. I didn't alert (ACBL rules). Came around to LHO. She asked "Is that preemptive with long diamonds?" Sure enough, she had five diamonds. Her partner had the stiff Ace. Guess I shouldn't have led my singleton in partner's suit. :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-August-28, 16:00

One of the rules at our club is...never, ever ask something like..."Does this bid mean "insert your thoughts here".

The only question allowed is..."What is x bid."
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#25 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-29, 12:59

Is it sinking in?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook