BBO Discussion Forums: Understandings over insufficient bids - BBO Discussion Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Understandings over insufficient bids

#161 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-22, 13:00

I get a lot of "well, of course I..." and then they clue in that I'm talking about the second trick. Maybe my explanation isn't as clear as it should be.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#162 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-22, 15:09

View Postgnasher, on 2012-October-22, 02:24, said:

Perhaps I have misunderstood, but you seem to be saying that you actually prefer a punishment whose consequences vary randomly to a punishment whose consequences are consistent. Do you really mean that?

Yes, because I don't think that "punishment" is the correct approach. I initially thought that it might be, but unless you don't believe that the infraction is genuinely a mistake, there is no justification to punish. Mechanical adjustments are not designed to penalise the OS; their purpose is to protect the NOS.

I believe that looking at it from that perspective leads to the correct conclusions about the matter.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#163 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-October-22, 15:48

I believe that punishment is an issue, and of course it has nothing to do with revoking deliberately. It is trying to keep the quality of care up. Nearly all penalties in bridge are nothing to do with deliberate infractions: they are trying to keep the number of infractions down for the sake of the non-offenders.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#164 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-October-22, 15:58

View PostVampyr, on 2012-October-22, 15:09, said:

Yes, because I don't think that "punishment" is the correct approach. I initially thought that it might be, but unless you don't believe that the infraction is genuinely a mistake, there is no justification to punish.

I agree that punishment is not the right objective, but the justification for a penalty is that it deters people from repeating the offence.

Anyway, I don't much care whether the offenders are penalised or not, or to what extent (provided it's not unreasonable or arbitrary) - I only suggested procedural penalties because you and Bluejak seemed to think it important to penalise (or deter) this offence.

Mechanical adjustments are not designed to penalise the OS; their purpose is to protect the NOS.

I have no idea what they are designed to do, but their effect is sometimes to reward the NOS and penalise the offenders. Do you regard that as a good thing, an irrelevance, or a necessary evil?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#165 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-October-22, 16:40

View Postgnasher, on 2012-October-22, 15:58, said:

I have no idea what they are designed to do, but their effect is sometimes to reward the NOS and penalise the offenders. Do you regard that as a good thing, an irrelevance, or a necessary evil?

I would prefer that the laws for established revokes and insufficient bids be significantly tightened up, but since the last law revision made one more lenient and the other absurd, there is no point in hoping that the next revision will go the other way. Still I think that there is a reasonable amount of deterrent effect in the current laws; I would not like less, but I would not like PPs either, and don't think the average player would like them. Sometimes you play the wrong card, find you have a legal card and there is no harm done. Receiving an automatic PP would drive a lot of people away from bridge, I believe.

As for the NOS being rewarded, this I think is an irrelevance. I would feel this way even if I was not certain that a very small quantity of MPs or IMPs change hands as a result of these irregularities.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#166 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-October-29, 02:37

I'm told that at an event in Roehampton yesterday somebody withdrew from the event because they were unhappy about a ruling under the existing revoke rules. One swallow does not make a summer, of course.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#167 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 02:56

View Postgnasher, on 2012-October-29, 02:37, said:

I'm told that at an event in Roehampton yesterday somebody withdrew from the event because they were unhappy about a ruling under the existing revoke rules. One swallow does not make a summer, of course.

From reading this, and knowing how people react when making rulings, I have no idea whether this would be a member of the NOS who didn't gain an advantage they expected to, or a member of the OS for whom the rectification was greater than restoring equity.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#168 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-October-29, 04:34

View Postgordontd, on 2012-October-29, 02:56, said:

From reading this, and knowing how people react when making rulings, I have no idea whether this would be a member of the NOS who didn't gain an advantage they expected to, or a member of the OS for whom the rectification was greater than restoring equity.

Perhaps it was the TD who walked out after yet another NOS wanted equity and then a trick transfered!
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#169 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-October-29, 09:00

View PostRMB1, on 2012-October-29, 04:34, said:

Perhaps it was the TD who walked out after yet another NOS wanted equity and then a trick transfered!

Although the post was designed for a chuckle, isn't that quite commonly the situation when one trick is transferred? The revoke did not affect the number of tricks won, so equity already existed; yet a 1-trick penalty is prescribed because the OS subsequently took a trick and the revoke card never was used to advantage.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#170 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 11:31

Absolutely. Which is why many people feel aggrieved when "we" get a 1-trick penalty, "losing a trick that could never be lost", and "they" don't get penalized, because the revoke gained them a trick and all the penalty did is swap it back.

And I don't, really, disagree with them. But "that's the way the Laws read, so that's how I rule. Plus, they changed it to lessen the chance of penalty in 2008, so the Lawmakers think this is better."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users