• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"What partner needs to know" Adequate disclosure

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-05, 07:38

I have started playing occasional games with two of the better players at a club. They play together quite often, so I borrowed their convention card and tried to follow it.

Under carding methods it states nothing other than "count" (i.e. high-low = even). This would appear to apply when following suit (whether partner or declarer has led to the trick), and when discarding. When we came to discuss the boards in the pub after the game, I was asked on one hand why I had switched suits at trick two when partner had encouraged.

"But we don't play attitude signals, we play count", I reminded them.

"Yes, but in this situation surely it's clear that partner's card will show attitude" was the reply.

It turns out that they play attitude signals in many more situations than the card suggests. When pressed, they said that they primarily show count, but "tell partner what they think he needs to know".

I am not happy with this, I don't think it's adequate disclosure, but they won't change their methods, and I'm trying to find a way to describe what they actually do. The best I've come up with is "attitude on partner's lead and when discarding in active defence (e.g. cashout situations), count otherwise". I've never seen the like of this on a convention card before, but I think it must be an improvement on the original.

Any thoughts on whether this might meet the requirements on disclosure?

#2 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-05, 08:54

"We tell partner what he needs to know" has not gone down very well on a number of appeal committees I have sat on. At the very least the card should say count(hi-lo even) but some attitude e.g. partner's lead and other situations you define.
As well as telling partner what he needs to know there is the little matter of telling the opponents what you are doing.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-05, 10:54

I think this is "just bridge". Regardless of your normal signaling methods, sometimes you have to make exceptions to solve problems. You hope that partner will recognize the problem as well, and figure out what you're doing.

For instance, you play 3/5 leads, but need to lead from J98x. You might decide to lead x because 8 is more likely to confuse partner (it looks more like the top of a doubleton).

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 10:56

I think this is just misinformation. They claim to play count, when in certain situations that they are both very well aware of, they don't.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 11:05

Until I've played with them a while I don't think I'll be able to define when we show count. I agree that "give partner the signal we think he's looking for" is dubious - we probably know from experience what this is better than our opponents do, and we're not telling them.

"On partner's lead, sometimes attitude, sometimes count" is not much better. They'll want to know when attitude, and when count.

I was just wondering whether "attitude in active defence situations, count in passive" is any better. I'll then get asked to define "active" and "passive". Sometimes it won't be clear.

#6 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 14:19

The EBU convention card asks for:

"CARDING METHODS Describe Primary method. State alternative in brackets."

On that basis, something like: "Standard Count(Standard Attitude in some cashout situations)" would be reasonable.

Few convention cards go into great detail as to when particular signals apply. There's not enough room to explain all situations on the convention card. In some grey areas, regular partners don't always agree whether count/attitude/suit preference should apply!

#7 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-05, 15:26

View PostVixTD, on 2012-October-05, 07:38, said:

I have started playing occasional games with two of the better players at a club. They play together quite often, so I borrowed their convention card and tried to follow it.

Under carding methods it states nothing other than "count" (i.e. high-low = even). This would appear to apply when following suit (whether partner or declarer has led to the trick), and when discarding. When we came to discuss the boards in the pub after the game, I was asked on one hand why I had switched suits at trick two when partner had encouraged.

"But we don't play attitude signals, we play count", I reminded them.

"Yes, but in this situation surely it's clear that partner's card will show attitude" was the reply.

It turns out that they play attitude signals in many more situations than the card suggests. When pressed, they said that they primarily show count, but "tell partner what they think he needs to know".

I am not happy with this, I don't think it's adequate disclosure, but they won't change their methods, and I'm trying to find a way to describe what they actually do. The best I've come up with is "attitude on partner's lead and when discarding in active defence (e.g. cashout situations), count otherwise". I've never seen the like of this on a convention card before, but I think it must be an improvement on the original.

Any thoughts on whether this might meet the requirements on disclosure?

I too think this is "just bridge".
Dummy wins the opening lead with a singleton. 3rd hand shows suit preference now rather than attitude. Does that really need to be disclosed ?
6NT. The bidding indicates I have no points. Am I ever going to signal attitude ?
Declarer has 9 trumps and is drawing trumps. Am I going to lie about my count ?
Signals are just indications, not promises or demands.

#8 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-05, 15:41

I agree that the pair in question are giving MI. Disclosing accurately in every situation is tricky, though, as defensive situations cannot always be placed into neat boxes in the same way that most [occurring] auctions can be. If a couple of vague statements about when you might show attitude instead of count is considered insufficient, you'll often have no choice but to state how you intend to take partner's card, which we already know to be incorrect procedure.

BTW, my normal agreement is "attitude unless attitude is known, in which case, count". How far is that off sufficient disclosure in your opinion, Jeremy?

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 04:06

View Postbarmar, on 2012-October-05, 10:54, said:

I think this is "just bridge".

It's possible for it to both "just bridge" and something that you write on the convention card.

Regardless of your normal signaling methods, sometimes you have to make exceptions to solve problems. You hope that partner will recognize the problem as well, and figure out what you're doing.

But that's not what was described in the original post. They're not making an exceptional deviation from the partnership's methods and hoping that partner will work it out: they clearly have a prior understanding that the signal will sometimes be attitude.

paua said:

Dummy wins the opening lead with a singleton. 3rd hand shows suit preference now rather than attitude. Does that really need to be disclosed ?

Yes. It should be disclosed by whatever means the Regulating Authority specifies. In England (which is where VixTD plays), the regulations read "If the meaning of a signal depends upon the situation, the primary meaning and any alternative meanings must be stated on the convention card."

There is a box on the EBU convention card labelled "Other carding agreements, including secondary methods (state when applicable) and exceptions to above." If a partnership's signals are sometimes suit-preference, they should say so, and give an indication of when this applies.

Different jurisdictions may approach this differently. For example, the WBF requires a much higher level of detail than the EBU. Others may require less.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-October-06, 04:14

View PostMickyB, on 2012-October-05, 15:41, said:

I agree that the pair in question are giving MI. Disclosing accurately in every situation is tricky, though, as defensive situations cannot always be placed into neat boxes in the same way that most [occurring] auctions can be. If a couple of vague statements about when you might show attitude instead of count is considered insufficient, you'll often have no choice but to state how you intend to take partner's card, which we already know to be incorrect procedure.

You just have to explain your partnership understandings, but that includes understandings derived from shared experience. Tell declarer what you would know if you were a spectator who couldn't see any of the cards except dummy. Depending on the situation, that might be "In this siutuation it's standard attitude", "It depends whether he thinks I know his holding in the suit: if he does, it's count; otherwise it's attitude", or "No firm agreement, but I think he would give count here", or "Our general agreement is 'attitude unless count is important'; I'm not sure which applies here."

BTW, my normal agreement is "attitude unless attitude is known, in which case, count". How far is that off sufficient disclosure in your opinion, Jeremy?

I'm not Jeremy, but I'll answer anyway. That's sufficient for the convention card or as a response to a general question. It's not sufficient as an answer to a question about a specific situation.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 04:47

View Postgnasher, on 2012-October-06, 04:06, said:

It's possible for it to both "just bridge" and something that you write on the convention card.

But that's not what was described in the original post. They're not making an exceptional deviation from the partnership's methods and hoping that partner will work it out: they clearly have a prior understanding that the signal will sometimes be attitude.

Yes. It should be disclosed by whatever means the Regulating Authority specifies. In England (which is where VixTD plays), the regulations read "If the meaning of a signal depends upon the situation, the primary meaning and any alternative meanings must be stated on the convention card."

There is a box on the EBU convention card labelled "Other carding agreements, including secondary methods (state when applicable) and exceptions to above." If a partnership's signals are sometimes suit-preference, they should say so, and give an indication of when this applies.

Different jurisdictions may approach this differently. For example, the WBF requires a much higher level of detail than the EBU. Others may require less.

How partnership understandings shall be disclosed is a matter of regulation.
The fact that they shall be fully disclosed is set in the laws.

#12 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-06, 04:48

I am unsure about what situations the OP means.

I think most experts play relatively flexible signals. For example, you might play K for count, but if you lead the K vs NT and QJxx appears in dummy you clearly should give SP. Primarily we give count, but there are innumerable situations in which it doesn't make sense to give count. Its not like there are clear or easy rules about when you give count. E.g. If you are playing vs a relay system that described declarers shape, you would never give count signals. Similarly, you will never give partner count signals if the play has revealed the count to partner, even if it is not yet clear to you.

The lead of an ace and finding a singleton in dummy vs a suit, is the most well known time to discard your prior carding agreements, but all such agreements are `just bridge' and often its not like its even very clear to the defence what their signals mean. There are lots of ambiguous situations where your meta-rules conflict.

I think we just have to accept that carding is not something that it is particularly easily to disclose. I mean, if I agree with an expert partner that we give count, there are still a gazillion undiscussed situations where I would expect either SP or attitude, and I just expect that expert partners to know that. There is also the never asked question about whether your signals ask for a switch, or just show that you have a feature in that suit. This is actually a very important difference. A lot of experts play that in situations where you hold almost all the defensive assets, SP is close to a command to switch, but when you don't hold very many its more like "this is the only suit where I hold any card of interest", and this is kind of expected to be GBK aswell.

I just don't understand how I can give full disclosure to a non expert. "I give the signals that I would expect a random expert to expect" is probably full disclosure, it is also incredibly unhelpful to any non experts. :)
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#13 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-08, 04:03

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-October-06, 04:48, said:

I think we just have to accept that carding is not something that it is particularly easily to disclose. I mean, if I agree with an expert partner that we give count, there are still a gazillion undiscussed situations where I would expect either SP or attitude, and I just expect that expert partners to know that. There is also the never asked question about whether your signals ask for a switch, or just show that you have a feature in that suit. This is actually a very important difference. A lot of experts play that in situations where you hold almost all the defensive assets, SP is close to a command to switch, but when you don't hold very many its more like "this is the only suit where I hold any card of interest", and this is kind of expected to be GBK aswell.

I just don't understand how I can give full disclosure to a non expert. "I give the signals that I would expect a random expert to expect" is probably full disclosure, it is also incredibly unhelpful to any non experts. :)

All that is probably true. It is still 100% wrong just to put "count" on your system card if what you are actually playing is "what we think partner needs to know, with count in unclear situations".

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-October-08, 04:44

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-October-06, 04:48, said:

I think we just have to accept that carding is not something that it is particularly easily to disclose.

In that case we should take particular care to try to disclose it as well as possible.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-October-08, 17:23

View PostWellSpyder, on 2012-October-08, 04:03, said:

All that is probably true. It is still 100% wrong just to put "count" on your system card if what you are actually playing is "what we think partner needs to know, with count in unclear situations".

The ACBL CC has a checkbox labeled something like "Primary signal to partner's leads". That word "primary" is significant.

#16 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-October-08, 18:56

View Postpaua, on 2012-October-05, 15:26, said:

I too think this is "just bridge".
6NT. The bidding indicates I have no points. Am I ever going to signal attitude ?
Declarer has 9 trumps and is drawing trumps. Am I going to lie about my count ?
Signals are just indications, not promises or demands.

Let us look at your first question: dummy wins the opening lead with a singleton. I play with a client whom I have taught to show count. Her signal will be count unambiguously.

With my regular partner I have an agreement that it is Lavinthal at suit, count at NT.

With one or two of my irregular partners I do not know how they play this.

Do these need to be disclosed? Of course. It is certainly not "just bridge" that I play one thing with one partner, and a different thing with another. How are opponents to know that? Yet I know it, so if I do not disclose it then it becomes a Concealed Partnership Understanding, which is a no-no.

How to disclose it is another matter entirely, but certainly I would explain each position in response to a direct question.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-October-09, 09:23

If you have specific agreements about certain situations, you obviously have to disclose them.

But "tell partner what they think he needs to know" is not so straightforward. There aren't specific rules to this, you recognize the situations using bridge logic. There's no guarantee that you and partner will be on the same wavelength when it comes up.

#18 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-October-09, 09:54

Yeah, true - ok, maybe true.

The trouble with "tell partner what he needs to know" is that I do not believe that bridge logic is the only criterion. There is also partnership experience.

There was a pair that told people they led randomly from xxx. This was investigated, and it was discovered that:

• In partner's suit they generally led the middle card
  • If the top card was 8 or better they generally led the smallest card
  • If the top card was 7 or less they generally led the top card

They were very surprised to be told that they should disclose this, and that random was an inaccurate description of their methods.

There are other similar positions. Many players know that "attitude" or "count" means Lavinthal when dummy has a singleton. They have an agreement with each other in this position but seem to think it is not disclosable. Perhaps like paua they think this is just bridge, but many people do not play it so it is not just bridge.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#19 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-09, 15:56

A lot of these carding issues are "just bridge" after it has been pointed out once. Without the explanation (which may have nothing to do with this partner, or this decade for that matter), it's not clear.

I've always liked the response to "We play what partner will want to know.": "So, facing this dummy and the auction, what would partner most likely want to know? Please don't tell me anything about your hand."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-October-10, 15:13

View Postmycroft, on 2012-October-09, 15:56, said:

A lot of these carding issues are "just bridge" after it has been pointed out once. Without the explanation (which may have nothing to do with this partner, or this decade for that matter), it's not clear.

I've always liked the response to "We play what partner will want to know.": "So, facing this dummy and the auction, what would partner most likely want to know? Please don't tell me anything about your hand."

And what if the only reason you could figure out what partner wants to know is based on what you have in your hand?

If you lead K from both AK and KQ, and partner leads the K, you should explain that he's showing either the A, Q, or shortness. The opponent can't expect you to narrow down the explanation if you happen to hold the A and/or Q.

bluejak's example where there were rules that could be enumerated is not the usual case. Usually, it's much more nebulous. 90% of the time you do what it says on the CC, but occasionally you figure out that something else is more important, and these tend to be unique, not describable in any general way.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users