BBO Discussion Forums: Should we consider the class of player involved? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should we consider the class of player involved?

#21 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-09, 08:18

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-09, 08:10, said:

Second, if you write the Laws to make them less fair, I do not see how you can claim this to be an improvement, despite a justification [which I do not believe anyway] that they are easier to enforce.

I don't think Nick is campaigning under the slogan "Let's make the laws less fair!". It's clear that he thinks what he's proposing is more fair. You may disagree with him, but don't try to misrepresent what he's saying.

#22 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-09, 08:30

View PostNickRW, on 2012-November-08, 04:02, said:

How do you think the average club TD copes? Adding a dimension where the class of player matters makes a truly difficult area even worse. Worse, IMO, to the point of utter impracticality quite apart from the aspect of potential interpretation of not being a level playing field

View PostVixTD, on 2012-November-09, 08:18, said:

I don't think Nick is campaigning under the slogan "Let's make the laws less fair!". It's clear that he thinks what he's proposing is more fair. You may disagree with him, but don't try to misrepresent what he's saying.

I think you should read Nick's quote above: that strongly suggests that he wants to change the Laws for a reason unconnected with its fairness.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#23 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-09, 09:35

If we must make a football analogy, here is one.

Suppose a player is illegally brought down in the penalty area. Which is fairer: his team takes a penalty, or the referee tosses two fair coins and awards a goal 75% of the time? The second rule is your "level playing field": the same adjustment is given no matter who is involved. The first rule has the apparent drawback that a good goalkeeper is more likely to save the penalty, but then he would also have been more likely to save the hypothetical attempt on goal which would have occurred without the foul.

#24 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-09, 10:32

View PostNickRW, on 2012-November-08, 03:36, said:

Yes, I am saying that. This aspect of the laws stink.

Furthermore I find them objectionable to have to enforce, not to mention difficult to understand and contentious in thier outcome based as they are solely on opinion. I couldn't think of a worse heap of c..p to write in a rule book and then expect mostly amateur players and TDs to have to abide by.

Nick

I suspect that Nick understates the case considerably; not that other law provisions aren't far worse. However, one merely being aware that a state of being is objectionable, it does not necessarily follow one wisely knows what to do about it.

#25 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-09, 11:46

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-09, 08:30, said:

I think you should read Nick's quote above: that strongly suggests that he wants to change the Laws for a reason unconnected with its fairness.

That may be so, but it's still a far cry from wanting to change the laws for the purpose of making them more unfair, or even just knowingly changing them to something less fair. This is what you are implying he is doing.

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-November-09, 11:57

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-09, 08:10, said:

So that means that if a player would bid 4 always and without exception, as would his peers, you would still make it illegal for him to do so because his skill level is different from the average of the field? How can you possibly justify such an approach?

Maybe the thinking is this: If you decide to enter the Reisinger or Bermuda Bowl, you should expect to be judged by the standards of that event. You don't get different treatment because you're a novice who has decided to play up.

#27 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-09, 14:08

View Postcampboy, on 2012-November-09, 09:35, said:

If we must make a football analogy, here is one.

Suppose a player is illegally brought down in the penalty area. Which is fairer: his team takes a penalty, or the referee tosses two fair coins and awards a goal 75% of the time? The second rule is your "level playing field": the same adjustment is given no matter who is involved. The first rule has the apparent drawback that a good goalkeeper is more likely to save the penalty, but then he would also have been more likely to save the hypothetical attempt on goal which would have occurred without the foul.

I would suggest the analogy with football is more like this:

If a strong attacking player opposing a weak goalkeeper is brought down, the team gets a penalty because he would likely have scored. If a weak attacking player opposing a strong goalkeeper is brought down, the team just gets a free kick outside the box because he probably would not have scored. That's what the laws of bridge effectively do now by taking into account the class of player involved. I am suggesting the same penalty (or free kick) in both cases, disregarding the ability of the actual players involved.

#28 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-November-09, 20:02

View Postnigel_k, on 2012-November-09, 14:08, said:

I would suggest the analogy with football is more like this:

If a strong attacking player opposing a weak goalkeeper is brought down, the team gets a penalty because he would likely have scored. If a weak attacking player opposing a strong goalkeeper is brought down, the team just gets a free kick outside the box because he probably would not have scored. That's what the laws of bridge effectively do now by taking into account the class of player involved. I am suggesting the same penalty (or free kick) in both cases, disregarding the ability of the actual players involved.

The analogy breaks down because not only are we considering the penalty but the infraction itself.

If one player would always bid 4 as in blujak's example and so would all of that player's peers there is currently no infraction.

Whilst if another player would not have bid 4 but is prompted to do it based on UI from partner then there is an infraction.

Its not the case that in the football analogy that it is ok to bring down a weaker (or stronger) player but not vice versa.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#29 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-10, 00:46

View PostCascade, on 2012-November-09, 20:02, said:

The analogy breaks down because not only are we considering the penalty but the infraction itself.

This is just semantics. The stage of the process where the class of player is taken into account does not change the practical effect of doing so, which is that there are options legally available to a strong player that are not legally available to a weak player.

I am not aware of any other game where the rules provide for something like this. It seems plainly unfair.

#30 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-10, 02:41

View Postnigel_k, on 2012-November-10, 00:46, said:

This is just semantics. The stage of the process where the class of player is taken into account does not change the practical effect of doing so, which is that there are options legally available to a strong player that are not legally available to a weak player.

I am not aware of any other game where the rules provide for something like this. It seems plainly unfair.

What about rugby, where a penalty try is awarded if an offence "prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored"? That appears to depend on the referee's judgement of the ability of the two sides.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#31 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2012-November-10, 03:13

When there is an advantage rule there are options available to some players that are not available to other players.

A strong player maybe able to choose to gain an advantage and thereby give up on the penalty whereas a weaker player may not be able to gain the advantage and thereby settle for the penalty.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#32 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-10, 15:35

I don't agree with the advantage rule example. That allows the better side to gain more benefit from the penalty, rather like having Ronaldo taking your free kick. But it doesn't mean that some actions are allowed for one side but not the other.

The penalty try rule is closer, but usually these are awarded when a try would be scored without the violation, unless the attacking team screwed up pretty badly. So I think it would be very rare that the ability of the side involved would determine whether they get a penalty try, or just a normal penalty.

#33 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-10, 15:57

You have two players, a novice and an expert. They both have the same auction where their respective partners have bid 6NT but also transmitted UI that suggests raising to 7NT. Based on some sort of bridge logic, it can be demonstrated that raising to 7NT is the correct action. The expert would always have applied this logic. The novice would never have applied this logic. If you are forced to give both players the same ruling, one of these two situations will occur.
- The expert receives the score for 6NT, even though he would always have bid 7NT.
- The novice receives the score for 7NT, even though he would never have bid 7NT.
It escapes me how either of those outcomes could be considered "fair", especially if we consider the main purpose of the laws to be restoring equity.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-10, 18:16

"Fair" is whatever the laws say it is.

As I read the laws, in your example case, if either player bids 7NT, they will be found to have violated Law 73C or Law 16B2, or both, and the score will be adjusted. If neither player bids 7NT, the score will not be adjusted. The fact that absent the UI the expert is more likely to bid 7NT is not relevant.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#35 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2012-November-10, 18:49

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-10, 18:16, said:

"Fair" is whatever the laws say it is.

As I read the laws, in your example case, if either player bids 7NT, they will be found to have violated Law 73C or Law 16B2, or both, and the score will be adjusted. If neither player bids 7NT, the score will not be adjusted. The fact that absent the UI the expert is more likely to bid 7NT is not relevant.

Why?

For the expert there may be no logical alternative to raising in which case it cannot be a violation of L16B2 and I cannot see how you are gaining an advantage by doing the only logical thing available so how can it be a violation of L73C?
Wayne Burrows

#36 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-10, 18:52

View PostCascade, on 2012-November-10, 18:49, said:

Why?

For the expert there may be no logical alternative to raising in which case it cannot be a violation of L16B2 and I cannot see how you are gaining an advantage by doing the only logical thing available so how can it be a violation of L73C?

What you said. My attempt was to create a situation where for the expert there is no LA to 7NT. I am agreeing with the current laws. The suggestion seems to be we shouldn't be allowed to make different rulings for the two players, which I do not agree with at all.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#37 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-November-10, 21:10

View PostNickRW, on 2012-November-08, 03:36, said:

This aspect of the laws stink. Furthermore I find them objectionable to have to enforce, not to mention difficult to understand and contentious in thier outcome based as they are solely on opinion. I couldn't think of a worse heap of c..p to write in a rule book and then expect mostly amateur players and TDs to have to abide by.
Nick is a master of understatement. The "quality of player" should refer not to the individual putative offender but to the average player in the competition.
  • Judgement of individual ability is error-prone, controversial, and inapplicable to strangers and foreigners.
  • Even when the poor player benefits, It is at the cost of being insulted and patronized.
  • It prevents a level playing field.
  • It adds unnecessary complexity and subjectivity with no compensating gain.
  • The simpler law would allow justice to be done and seen to be done.

#38 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-10, 23:33

Two things: if there's no LA to 7NT, then bidding 7NT is not an infraction, so there would be no score adjustment. Secondly, I have been told that "logical alternative" is to be read as "plausible alternative for the class of player involved". If all experts would always bid 7NT, then there is no plausible alternative for that class of player. If the player is a member of a class with lesser skill, then pass may well be a plausible alternative for that class of player. Yes the rulings will be different. I don't think that's a bad thing.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#39 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-11, 02:58

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-10, 23:33, said:

Two things: if there's no LA to 7NT, then bidding 7NT is not an infraction, so there would be no score adjustment. Secondly, I have been told that "logical alternative" is to be read as "plausible alternative for the class of player involved". If all experts would always bid 7NT, then there is no plausible alternative for that class of player. If the player is a member of a class with lesser skill, then pass may well be a plausible alternative for that class of player. Yes the rulings will be different. I don't think that's a bad thing.

So if the weaker player works out that 7NT is the only sensible bid, he will be ruled against, even though all the LAs are demonstratively illogical. Is that not unjust?

Maybe it is more sensible to reflect that these situations come about when your partner gives you UI, realise that you often get a bad score under such circumstances, and stop whingeing that it shouldn't apply to you, because you're too good to be penalised. Just don't give the UI in the first place.

#40 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2012-November-11, 03:03

View PostStevenG, on 2012-November-11, 02:58, said:

So if the weaker player works out that 7NT is the only sensible bid, he will be ruled against, even though all the LAs are demonstratively illogical. Is that not unjust?

Maybe it is more sensible to reflect that these situations come about when your partner gives you UI, realise that you often get a bad score under such circumstances, and stop whingeing that it shouldn't apply to you, because you're too good to be penalised. Just don't give the UI in the first place.

It doesnt seem unjust if the player worked it out based on additional information from partner that was unauthorized
Wayne Burrows

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users