http://latare.com/10...of-All-Time.htm

#2 User is offline   squealydan 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:most sport
    being in the great outdoors
    the daily show / colbert

Posted 2012-November-20, 23:57

Well i was Bewitched at no. 10 and nearly didn't bother with the rest. But I persisted on. Reassuring to see that the best ten sitcoms of all time were all made in the good old USA! None of that Fawlty Towers, Blackadder or Yes (Prime) Minister rubbish....

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-21, 03:06

View Postsquealydan, on 2012-November-20, 23:57, said:

Well i was Bewitched at no. 10 and nearly didn't bother with the rest. But I persisted on. Reassuring to see that the best ten sitcoms of all time were all made in the good old USA! None of that Fawlty Towers, Blackadder or Yes (Prime) Minister rubbish....

Exactly, any list without Fawlty towers in the top 3 is not worthy of attention.

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-November-21, 03:11

TBBT is one of the unfunniest sitcoms ever created, right up there with 2 Broke Girls and the likes.

Anyway, I quite like The New Girl, it seems less convoluted and predictable than most crap nowadays.

I don't know that much about British TV shows but I loved Coupling.

In unrelated news, this "latare.com" site has been spamming us on and off for the last few years. Usually in the "cool videos" thread though...
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 04:19

View Postsquealydan, on 2012-November-20, 23:57, said:

Yes Minister is just the greatest piece of political satire ever written. The West Wing and the Wire should clearly make the top ten. And MASH. And Das Boot. It feels like this was a list written by an old person in america. :P

I mean, surely friends should be on the list too, even though I didn't like it, at one stage it was the most popular show ever on tv?

Even relative small fry like Peep show/the office, are better than Seinfield, which is hardly funny at all.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-November-21, 05:08

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-November-21, 04:19, said:

Yes Minister is just the greatest piece of political satire ever written. .

In sitcom form yes, I have a great fondness for Whoops apocalypse (the UK TV series not the film) which did some brilliant and brutal political satire (plus some great slapstick), but wasn't a sitcom.

#7 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2012-November-21, 05:10

Hi,

Rosanne? Bing Crosby Show? Married… with Children (Al Bundy)?

Those are missing.

I am not saying I am / I was a huge fan of either show, but all 3 had a run of at
least 10 years.

I like a lot on the proposed list, but the guys, who created the list only
looked at ...

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 06:23

My list, at this point in time:
1. MASH
2. Dad's army
3. It ain't half hot mum
4. 'Allo 'allo
5. Are you being served?
6. The thin blue line
7. Fawlty Towers
8. All in the family
9. Keeping up appearances
10. Absolutely fabulous

mmm. I don't know what Freud would say about the fact that the first four are set in a war. I thought I was a peace-loving guy...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 06:31

Kind of a wierd list that does not have

All in the Family or I love Lucy

I think people forget Frasier...it was and is great, truly great.

#10 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 07:15

View Postmike777, on 2012-November-21, 06:31, said:

Kind of a wierd list that does not have

All in the Family or I love Lucy

I think people forget Frasier...it was and is great, truly great.

I had I love Lucy on #11, Home Improvement on #12, thought about Cheers, but forgot all about Frasier (how could I?).

I liked 3rd Rock from the Sun too (favorite quote: "Sine, cosine, cosine, sine. Three point one four one five nine!").

Other favorites are: One foot in the grave, To the manor born, Blackadder, Hi de hi.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#11 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-November-21, 07:51

Agree that Fawlty Towers needs to be added to the list.

I am also inordinately fond of the UK version of Coupling.

30 Rock and Community strike me as the best "recent" stuff (Though 30 Rock is showing its age)
Alderaan delenda est

#12 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-November-21, 07:56

It's true that I liked The Beverly Hillbillies (number 2 on their list). I never could get into Seinfield (number 4 on the list). I fear that this says something about me, but probably it doesn't say anything that hasn't been said before.And I completely agree that any such list has to include All in the Family, preferably at the top. Some on the list, for example Tne Big Bang Theory (number 2) and The Andy Griffith Show (number 5) I found unwatchable. Some others, for example NewsRadio, I never heard of. I recall liking their number 1 pick, WKRP in Cincinnati but I only vaguely recall it.

Anyway, it would not be my list. I am not at all sure what would be. I can usually recall some shows that I liked, some that I didn't, some (Cheers for example) that I liked for a while and then had enough of.

Mostly, with the British imports, my reaction is that I ain't British. I'll let them evaluate their shows from their perspective.
Ken

#13 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-November-21, 08:28

Missing Family Ties, too.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#14 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 08:34

As Matt LeBlanc's character in Episodes explained, there is a huge difference between the British sitcom and its American cousin. The biggest is the length of a season, often just six episodes in the UK. Fawlty Towers and The Office only made twelve programs in total. Story lines that run an entire season in the UK would not last in the 20+ episodes that an American sitcom typically delivers in a year.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#15 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-November-21, 08:43

View Postpaulg, on 2012-November-21, 08:34, said:

As Matt LeBlanc's character in Episodes explained, there is a huge difference between the British sitcom and its American cousin. The biggest is the length of a season, often just six episodes in the UK. Fawlty Towers and The Office only made twelve programs in total. Story lines that run an entire season in the UK would not last in the 20+ episodes that an American sitcom typically delivers in a year.

Fawlty Towers is a British sitcom produced by BBC Television that was first broadcast on BBC2 in 1975 and 1979. Twelve episodes were made (two series, each of six episodes

How one puts a 12 episode show on a list and not put on I love lucy does seem like a very biased list of greatest sitcoms ever.

#16 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 09:26

Maybe that "one" values quality over quantity?

Rik

#17 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-November-21, 10:20

Seems like the website is like US sports commentators: any show that is the best in the US is the world champion.

As for ranking sitcoms, I wouldn't pretend to be able to do so. I mean, I didn't watch a single episode of at least 2 of the shows on the list.

But any list that didn't include Fawlty Towers is deficient. Sure it lasted only 12 episodes, but some of those episodes were so tightly plotted and brilliantly written that some lines may live on for many years. My personal favourite has to be Basil, after Sybil threatens him by telling him he knows what'll happen if she finds him gambling, says: 'you'll have to sew them back on first'.

And Cleese has to be the best physical comedian of our times.

TBBT was imo truly brilliant during its first few seasons but has definitely lost its edge over the last season and so far this season, and I think in any event it is too early to include it in any all-time list. I can add that I think that the actor who plays Sheldon (I have a mind-freeze at the moment so forget his name) seems to possess some Cleese-like physical comedic skills as well.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-21, 10:37

View Postmikeh, on 2012-November-21, 10:20, said:

TBBT was imo truly brilliant during its first few seasons but has definitely lost its edge over the last season and so far this season, and I think in any event it is too early to include it in any all-time list. I can add that I think that the actor who plays Sheldon (I have a mind-freeze at the moment so forget his name) seems to possess some Cleese-like physical comedic skills as well.

Jim Parsons. He's won several awards for the part.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#19 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 10:39

Everyone has an opinion. I also thought that WKRP was hilarious, and Cheers excellent too. Big Bang Theory is just annoying and bad. And really, Soap?

Probably my favorites that were not listed are MASH and Will and Grace.

For British shows, besides FT, I thought Coupling was funny. Does Doctor Who count as a sitcom?

Honorable mention for fine performances goes to Third Rock From the Sun. Pretty ordinary on its own merits, probably below average, but Curtin and Lithgow are brilliant and made it much better that it really was.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-November-21, 10:44

Doctor Who? No.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users