BBO Discussion Forums: What could I do? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

What could I do? The benefit of transfers?

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-January-02, 03:37

This just came up in and IMPs game with a pickup partner in the MBC:

Partners' profile says "no transfers" and the 2h was bid after a long pause, but that could mean anything.

I got the obligatory "south pass???", but what could I do? Is 2H forcing if not playing transfers?

If not forcing is 16 HCP and AK5 strong enough for 3H at this vulnerability with the 2C bid which should be assumed to be natural?

This is why I normally move on if partners' card says "no transfers".

With transfers we could have had a very nice sequence 1NT, (2C) 2D (P) 2H (P) 3NT (P) with me selecting game.

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Simon

PS As it happens 3NT is a good game but 4H is always off at least 1 but that's not the point.

PPS Another thought, do people play no transfers so they can hog declarer play?

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-02, 04:08

When I played without transfers it was because I didn't know how to play transfers. Other people might not know whether they apply in competition (playing them over natural 2 isn't 100% standard to the best of my knowledge).
Playing a pickup in the MBC with no agreements, I would have bid 3 with the North hand, but as others will tell you, all bets are off in that environment. It's possible "MBC standard" is that 2 is forcing, though from my experience I would expect it to be a sign-off bid, similar to without interference with transfers off.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-02, 04:28

You need to know how to bid without transfers because even if
1NT-(2)-2*
is a transfer (which you can't be sure, as Antrax says),
1NT-(2)-2*
is not.

So you need to know that a freebid at the 2-level opposite a 1NT opening is non-forcing. This is the first thing you should learn, before learning about transfers. Because while you can bid without transfers, you can't bid without knowing this.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 04:50

2 is not forcing if not playing transfers. I think North's best action after 2 is to treat the hearts as a 4 card suit and bid 3. I do not see how not playing transfers can be a hand-hogging thing, surely hand hogs like to open 1NT too, no?

Also, to helene_t, my understanding is that it is quite common in American clubs to play that 1NT - (2) - 2 is a transfer, with X being the ubiquitous "stolen bid double" and showing hearts. Similarly for 1NT - (2) - X = spades. It is not a method I would personally recommend.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-03, 05:52

View PostSimonFa, on 2013-January-02, 03:37, said:

PPS Another thought, do people play no transfers so they can hog declarer play?

Unless they magically start playing transfers when they have the opening 1N hand, probably not.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users