• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Autoplay singleton two requests

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-January-01, 13:11

1. If you have it set to "on" can the software automatically disabled it when playing with three robots or make the software play at normal bot speed when as if it were declaring? If you aren't paying attention you can miss a few tricks, especially towards the end of a hand.

2. Make the default "on" so that when playing with humans we don't get stuck waiting for the last card to be played if someone leaves the table too early. I also reckon it will speed up many games in MBC.

Thanks,

Simon

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-01, 18:29

1. We actually do the opposite, intentionally. When playing with people, autoplay adds a random delay, so that they can't easily tell that it was automatic. But when playing with robots there's no delay, since the robots don't make inferences from your tempo. I like it this way, I often try to arrange to lead towards singletons at the end, to reduce the amount of clicking I have to do. This is especially useful in robot races, where every second counts -- champions at this type of game have gotten good at this technique.

2. I think that many players would find this disconcerting if it does this without them saying so. And if we change the default, it would only affect new people who join BBO -- we wouldn't want to change all the existing players' settings.

#3 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-02, 11:50

barmar, on 2013-January-01, 18:29, said:

1. We actually do the opposite, intentionally. When playing with people, autoplay adds a random delay, so that they can't easily tell that it was automatic. But when playing with robots there's no delay, since the robots don't make inferences from your tempo. I like it this way, I often try to arrange to lead towards singletons at the end, to reduce the amount of clicking I have to do. This is especially useful in robot races, where every second counts -- champions at this type of game have gotten good at this technique.

2. I think that many players would find this disconcerting if it does this without them saying so. And if we change the default, it would only affect new people who join BBO -- we wouldn't want to change all the existing players' settings.

Thanks for quick response, Barry.

Simon

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-02, 12:05

SimonFa, on 2013-January-01, 13:11, said:

If you aren't paying attention you can miss a few tricks, especially towards the end of a hand.

If you're not going to pay attention, you should certainly set your own autoplay to "off".

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-02, 12:53

Bbradley62, on 2013-January-02, 12:05, said:

If you're not going to pay attention, you should certainly set your own autoplay to "off".

I can appreciate his problem. If you play with the basic bots, they sometimes play very quickly. When Partnerbot is declaring, an entire hand can sometimes play in a flurry.

However, "several tricks" would only come up if they happen to lead several suits in a row where you have a singleton. Except at the end of the hand, when most of the play is pretty obvious, this seems like it would be rare.

#6 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-02, 14:54

Bbradley62, on 2013-January-02, 12:05, said:

I generally do but if my last play was in MBC or in tourneys I sometimes forget when I log back and and start practicing with 3 robots.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users