BBO Discussion Forums: Increase the limit of characters in Profile - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Increase the limit of characters in Profile Profile Notes Characters Aesthetic

#1 User is offline   Odyssee1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-March-08, 02:47

Hi all,

In a recent email with Caelin and Uday, i asked why i couldn't write as much as i wanted in my Profile / notes, they let me know there is a limit of 100 characters ( kinda suspected it).

Check it ! When you add your pseudo + real name + notes + spaces you cannot type more than that.

Could it be possible to raise the limit up to let's say : 200 characters ?

It would be so nice to add a few things apart the basics.

Best regards.

Odyssee1

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-08, 11:35

This would require changes to the old version, and I don't think this would be considered critical enough.

Profiles were never intended to be a substitute for convention cards.

#3 User is offline   Odyssee1 

• Pip

Posted 2012-March-08, 13:37

Thanks.

#4 User is offline   willnova 

• Pip

Posted 2013-January-21, 21:13

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-08, 11:35, said:

This would require changes to the old version, and I don't think this would be considered critical enough.

Profiles were never intended to be a substitute for convention cards.

Even the best players seldom if ever create a CC, so this means that the Profile is critical. It is one of the most critical items that needs changing. Most of the time you just have no idea what carding and conventions are being used. Especially carding, which is NEVER stated, yet is required for 50% of the hands to be played! To be rigidly fixed on the use of a CC is to be out of touch with the reality of the experience at the site.

This post has been edited by barmar: 2013-January-22, 11:13
Reason for edit: Move the response outside the quote

#5 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-22, 13:31

We just released a new version of the BBO web-client that allows for 500 characters in the "other" area of the profile (it used to be 100).

Users of the BBO Windows client will be stuck with 100 characters. When they look at profiles of users with more than 100 characters under "other", such messages will be truncated.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 13:59

Wow, thanks. I didn't see a reason to express this opinion in all the threads that were opened about this, but personally I've been wishing for this for some time now. I think my new profile is a lot more readable - time will tell if it makes any difference when playing pickup.

#7 User is offline   willnova 

• Pip

Posted 2013-January-22, 20:53

View Postfred, on 2013-January-22, 13:31, said:

We just released a new version of the BBO web-client that allows for 500 characters in the "other" area of the profile (it used to be 100).

Users of the BBO Windows client will be stuck with 100 characters. When they look at profiles of users with more than 100 characters under "other", such messages will be truncated.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

Sorry, but I do not understand the above explanation. Are there two classes of players, those with windows client(limited to 100 char.), and others that have the option to have more than 100 characters?

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-23, 01:25

View Postwillnova, on 2013-January-22, 20:53, said:

Sorry, but I do not understand the above explanation. Are there two classes of players, those with windows client(limited to 100 char.), and others that have the option to have more than 100 characters?

Essentially, yes, you are right.
The Windows client was the original implementation.
The Web client is the future of BBO, and further development of the Windows client has ceased (unless something absolutely critical is identified), while the Web client continues to be developed and improved.
It is inevitable in such circumstances that backward compatibility to the Windows client will fall by the wayside as the Web client continues to be developed.
The Windows client remains available as a legacy to those with a preference for it despite such issues.
BBO consistently recommends that users stick to, or switch to, the Web client interface, and to participate in certain competitions this is indeed the only option available. But if for whatever reason or circumstances, despite its other drawbacks, you continue to favour the Windows client, it remains available as long as you accept warts and all.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-23, 09:10

And there's a third class: mobile client users. Its development is continuing, but it doesn't have all the features of the web client yet, and it gets updated on a different schedule (it doesn't yet support long profiles, for instance).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users