• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Calls out of rotation (EBU)

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-21, 09:00

This occurred at a Welsh event yesterday, but it was played under EBU regulations. There wasn't much to smile at for the director, who spent the whole tournament wrestling with the scoring programme, but this afforded a little light relief:

South was the dealer, and North opened 1 out of turn. I was called, told East she'd have the chance to accept the call, but that if she didn't the bid would be withdrawn, the auction would revert to South and that South would be forced to pass for the remainder of the auction (laws 29A and B and 31B), that lead restrictions may apply if they become the defending side (law 26), and that I may have to award an adjusted score if the offenders gain from the enforced pass (law 23).

East was adamant that she didn't want to accept the call, so I told North to replace the 1 card in the bidding box, and for South to commence the auction, and repeated that North could make any call she liked, but that South had to pass throughout.

South sat back and didn't seem to think he had to do anything, as the decision had been taken for him. West reached uncertainly for the bidding box, wondering if we were all taking South's pass as read. As she did so, East said "Are we starting the auction, then?" and put down a pass card.

How do you now deal with East's pass?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 10:09

East's pass is, in part, the result of director's error -- the director should have stayed at the table until the conclusion of the auction, and should have ensured that South passed, not just sat there, at his turn. Perhaps the director did not anticipate that East would become confused at whose bid it was, but if South had been instructed to pass, there would have been no basis for the confusion.

I think that making a ruling on this hand is possible but potentially very complicated and prone to error; I will simply award both sides A+ under Law 82C (Director's Error).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 11:30

I'd treat it as a pass out of turn and enforce a 1-round pass on East. Why on earth would East think it is her turn when the TD has already said twice that it is South's turn?

ahydra

#4 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 11:55

"Director's error" is an oversimplification of what the law actually says, which is:

Law 82C said:

If a ruling has been given that the Director subsequently determines to be incorrect, and if no rectification will allow the board to be scored normally, he shall award an adjusted score, treating both sides as nonoffending for that purpose.

The ruling given was correct, so this law does not apply. I would go with ahydra's answer. (Of course South needs to be given the option to accept East's pass.)

#5 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 12:01

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-21, 10:09, said:

East's pass is, in part, the result of director's error -- the director should have stayed at the table until the conclusion of the auction, and should have ensured that South passed, not just sat there, at his turn.

I did not say anywhere that the director had left the table. I was standing over them the whole time, I went over everything at least twice to make sure they knew what they had to do, and knew that South's restriction on bidding was authorized to all players. I didn't think I had to take the bidding card out of the box for South, or tie East's hands to stop her from bidding.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 12:04

I agree with Campboy and the many headed one.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-21, 14:07

View PostVixTD, on 2013-January-21, 12:01, said:

I didn't think I had to take the bidding card out of the box for South, or tie East's hands to stop her from bidding.

When you notice West's uncertainty, you probably should have instructed him to place the Pass card. Some players in this situation will just take the entire stack of Pass cards out and plop them on the table.

However, I don't think this excuses East's mistake. You have to deal with it as a new POOT.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-21, 14:16

View Postbarmar, on 2013-January-21, 14:07, said:

When you notice West's uncertainty, you probably should have instructed him to place the Pass card. Some players in this situation will just take the entire stack of Pass cards out and plop them on the table.

However, I don't think this excuses East's mistake. You have to deal with it as a new POOT.

I think the lack of an instruction to South about the Pass card does excuse East's mistake. He evidently thought that it was North who had to pass at every opportunity, and that the latter "kept" his turn to bid.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-21, 14:24

I don't see how that explains anything. If North had to pass, then it was South's turn to bid. And West was in the process of pulling out his bidding card. I don't see how anything the director said could be confused as suggesting it was East's turn.

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 14:28

This is why I can't ever be a director. I'm sure that my mouth would say to East "are you really that stupid?".

#11 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-21, 14:36

View PostBbradley62, on 2013-January-21, 14:28, said:

This is why I can't ever be a director. I'm sure that my mouth would say to East "are you really that stupid?".

Perhaps that is the best approach. You can certainly rule director error after that, even if you are not technically wrong.

#12 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 14:41

What does it matter how much or how little sympathy the TD has for East's COOT? If N/S ask him to waive rectification then he may do so, but I don't think he can on his own initiative.

#13 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-January-21, 14:45

View Postcampboy, on 2013-January-21, 14:41, said:

What does it matter how much or how little sympathy the TD has for East's COOT? If N/S ask him to waive rectification then he may do so, ...

If South wants to avoid East suffering from the POOT, South can accept (and Pass) and the auction will continue without penalty to E/W.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#14 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2013-January-21, 14:50

View PostVixTD, on 2013-January-21, 12:01, said:

I didn't think I had to take the bidding card out of the box for South...
Why are we allowing South to be an ass? Director to South: "take a pass card out of your bidding box and place it on the table where bids go. Do this every time it is your turn to bid. Failure to do so will result in a 3MP PP (for every occurrence).

#15 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-January-21, 16:04

The important question here, which I believe nobody has noticed is whether we are in

Law 30 A said:

When a player has passed out of rotation before any player has bid the offender must pass when next it is his turn to call and Law 23 may apply.

or in

Law 30 B 2 {a} said:

When, after any player has bid, the offender passes out of rotation at his partner’s turn to call, the offender must pass whenever it is his turn to call, and Law 23 may apply.

Sure North has bid before East's pass out of rotation, but does the cancellation of North's bid result in Law 30A being applicable?

I see no real reason why it should, the information that can be derived from North's bid is there even after the bid itself has been cancelled, and it is the existence of this information that first silenced South and now leads to Law 30B rather than Law 30A.

Consequently the ruling should be that from now on both South and East must pass whenever it is their respective turn to call.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-21, 16:29

View Postpran, on 2013-January-21, 16:04, said:

Consequently the ruling should be that from now on both South and East must pass whenever it is their respective turn to call.

Do you think that the board is playable after this ruling?

#17 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-January-21, 16:30

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-21, 16:29, said:

Do you think that the board is playable after this ruling?

Yes, why not?

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-21, 18:28

If both East and South must pass throughout, whatever contract is reached may or may not bear any relation to the contract that would have been reached had there been no irregularity. I think that's what Vampyr is getting at. It seems to me though that a contract will have been reached, and it's certainly possible for the play to proceed on that basis.

I think Sven is right — Law 30B2 rather than 30A applies to East's pass out of turn.

This is not a case of director's error.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-January-22, 02:44

View Postpran, on 2013-January-21, 16:04, said:

Sure North has bid before East's pass out of rotation, but does the cancellation of North's bid result in Law 30A being applicable?

I see no real reason why it should, the information that can be derived from North's bid is there even after the bid itself has been cancelled, and it is the existence of this information that first silenced South and now leads to Law 30B rather than Law 30A.

I think it unwise to assume that logic was used in writing Law 30.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#20 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-January-22, 03:03

View Postgnasher, on 2013-January-22, 02:44, said:

I think it unwise to assume that logic was used in writing Law 30.

Proper training to be a TD includes understanding the logic in the laws.

I have no problem with Law 30.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users