BBO Discussion Forums: I have UI but what is partner doing? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I have UI but what is partner doing?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-January-27, 23:09

ACBL

2, not altered is a limit raise in clubs,
4 is obstensibly 1430 keycard in clubs. Love it or hate it this is where you are.

I have UI from the non alert of 2 but what the heck is partner doing now?
Has partner forgotten the agreement or forgotten to alert and does that have any
affect on how I can use or avoid the use of the UI?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-January-27, 23:38

View Postjillybean, on 2013-January-27, 23:09, said:

ACBL

2, not altered is a limit raise in clubs,
4 is obstensibly 1430 keycard in clubs. Love it or hate it this is where you are.

I have UI from the non alert of 2 but what the heck is partner doing now?
Has partner forgotten the agreement or forgotten to alert and does that have any

This seems easy. Give a normal response to RKCB.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-January-28, 00:47

It would be much harder if partner bid 4 and didn't alert 2.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-28, 03:03

View Postjillybean, on 2013-January-27, 23:09, said:

Alerts are for the assistance of the opponents alone. You must do more than be deaf to whether your partner alerts or not, you must carefully avoid taking any advantage of the fact that actually you heard.

In this case it is easy. You give 4C the meaning that it should have, and respond appropriately.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2013-January-28, 03:49

I have a new method for dealing with these problems. I imagine partner has stood on her chair and shouted "that is a limit raise in clubs" and then bid accordingly. If partner had done this, you would not dream of doing anything other than responding to keycard. You would never contemplate that partner has forgotten the system. If you do think partner may have the system wrong, then I'd suggest you are using UI to do this.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-January-28, 04:34

A player is never allowed to assume that his partner has forgot their partnership understanding, and then call accordingly, except after this is obvious from the auction (partner's calls) alone (or in the case partner's forgetfulness is so frequent that it is part of their implicit understandings).

Example: You bid 4NT and partner responds with a bid that shows more key cards than exists outside your own hand.

#7 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-January-28, 04:53

It doesn't have to be just partner's calls. If I open 1NT, partner bids 2 (transfer), the opponents then bid 2 (natural) 4 (natural) I am allowed to assume partner has not got five spades.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#8 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-28, 08:40

View Postpran, on 2013-January-28, 04:34, said:

A player is never allowed to assume that his partner has forgot their partnership understanding, and then call accordingly, except after this is obvious from the auction (partner's calls) alone (or in the case partner's forgetfulness is so frequent that it is part of their implicit understandings).

I presume you are referring only to the situation that there is UI that partner has forgotten. If there is no UI, you can do what you like. Though if you appear to be uncannily accurate in predicting that your partner makes calls with different meanings from those you have disclosed, without some circumstance to explain it, you are at risk of being found to have made wrongful disclosure.

#9 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-January-28, 09:56

View Postiviehoff, on 2013-January-28, 08:40, said:

I presume you are referring only to the situation that there is UI that partner has forgotten. If there is no UI, you can do what you like. Though if you appear to be uncannily accurate in predicting that your partner makes calls with different meanings from those you have disclosed, without some circumstance to explain it, you are at risk of being found to have made wrongful disclosure.

Sure.
Here the UI was a missing expected alert, but UI can be a lot of things. And if your reason is that your partner has a habit of being forgetful then you come dangerously close to a ruling that you selected your action(s) based on some concealed partnership understanding.

#10 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2013-January-28, 12:47

This is not true.

If you have no UI and no concealed partnership understanding then Law 40 allows a player to make any call. Any call includes a call that is based on an assumption that partner has forgotten your partnership understanding.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#11 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-January-28, 16:14

View PostCascade, on 2013-January-28, 12:47, said:

This is not true.

If you have no UI and no concealed partnership understanding then Law 40 allows a player to make any call. Any call includes a call that is based on an assumption that partner has forgotten your partnership understanding.

Please give an example where a player has a legal reason to assume that his partner has forgotten their partnership understanding from other sources than the auction.

(I accept bluejak's assertion that also opponents' auction in some situations can bring the probability of a forgotten understanding so high that it is close to certainty.)

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-January-28, 16:45

View Postpran, on 2013-January-28, 16:14, said:

Please give an example where a player has a legal reason to assume that his partner has forgotten their partnership understanding from other sources than the auction.

(I accept bluejak's assertion that also opponents' auction in some situations can bring the probability of a forgotten understanding so high that it is close to certainty.)

The only "legal" reason to make an assumption that partner has forgotten a partnership agreement from a source other than the auction would be a comment or action by an opponent which indicates that such is the case. While such a comment or action is UI to the opponent's partner, it is not UI to you. You can draw whatever inference you like from an opponent's comments or actions. But you draw such inferences at your own risk.

In an extreme case, an opponent's comments or actions might be actionable if they were calculated to cause you to draw a false inference. While such an action would no doubt lead to procedural penalties and possible disciplinary actions against the opponent, it might not result in an adjustment to your score.

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-January-28, 21:27

I followed what I thought was my obligation and responded to the keycard ask. It was after the game that it was suggested that I could have passed or bid 5C as it was obvious partner could not be interested in a club slam when I held club AKJ84 and that this was bridge knowledge and had nothing to do with UI. Perhaps an example of a little knowledge being dangerous? :)

We ended up 6N-1, partners hand was A874,AKQ,A6,Q632. 1C 2D 4C 4S 6N
Forgotten agreement or not, it seemed like over aggressive bidding.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-29, 05:01

View Postjillybean, on 2013-January-28, 21:27, said:

I followed what I thought was my obligation and responded to the keycard ask. It was after the game that it was suggested that I could have passed or bid 5C as it was obvious partner could not be interested in a club slam when I held club AKJ84 and that this was bridge knowledge and had nothing to do with UI. Perhaps an example of a little knowledge being dangerous? :)

This is fatuous.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-January-29, 07:37

View Postpran, on 2013-January-28, 16:14, said:

I open 1NT. Partner responds 2. RHO now has a coughing fit and I cannot avoid (unintentionally) noticing that his hand contains 8 spades (maybe it was the shock at hearing a spade transfer!). I hold 5 spades. Am I obligated to super-accept partner's transfer?
(-: Zel :-)

#16 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-29, 07:49

It sounds like this argument was presented with the intention of blaming you for the silly result rather than partner forgetting the system. It certainly didn't originate from trying to follow the rules. Partner could have had QT9xxx clubs and not be worried about the trump suit opposite a limit raise. You were quite right to respond to keycard: in fact you were ethically obliged to do so.

#17 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-January-29, 08:40

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-January-29, 07:37, said:

I open 1NT. Partner responds 2. RHO now has a coughing fit and I cannot avoid (unintentionally) noticing that his hand contains 8 spades (maybe it was the shock at hearing a spade transfer!). I hold 5 spades. Am I obligated to super-accept partner's transfer?

Absolutely not. Nor are you required to regular-accept the transfer.

Information obtained from the opponents (even the way it happened in your hypothetical) is AI to you. You can act on it as you see fit at your own risk.

#18 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-January-29, 08:44

We ended up 6N-1, partners hand was A874,AKQ,A6,Q632. 1C 2D 4C 4S 6N
Forgotten agreement or not, it seemed like over aggressive bidding.

I agree with c_corgi. The 4 bid, by agreement, is a key-card ask. Just because you have a powerful club holding does not mean that partner does not have his or her call. And partner is allowed to make a mistake.

Looking at partner's hand, it appears that, rightly or wrongly, partner intended 4 as a key-card ask. So you were on the same wavelength. You could have won this board by refusing to answer key card correctly, but you would have damaged partnership morale by doing so.

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-January-29, 09:36

View PostArtK78, on 2013-January-29, 08:40, said:

Absolutely not. Nor are you required to regular-accept the transfer.

Information obtained from the opponents (even the way it happened in your hypothetical) is AI to you. You can act on it as you see fit at your own risk.

Tell this to pran! This is a source other than the auction.
(-: Zel :-)

#20 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-January-29, 09:45

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-January-29, 09:36, said:

Tell this to pran! This is a source other than the auction.

I actually did. See my post of Jan 28 at 17:45.

I did not consider the possibility of seeing an opponent's hand through no fault of one's own. That is clearly AI, and if the sight of an opponent's hand leads you to conclude that partner forgot your partnership agreement, you are entitled to act on that information. However, and I am repeating myself here, any inference that you draw from information provided by your opponent outside of the auction is at your own risk, and you cannot later complain that the inference that you drew from such information was erroneous.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users