• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Loop raising the deads

#61 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-22, 19:32

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2013-February-22, 14:58, said:

Virtually all jurisdictions, including the EBL, the WBF and the EBU, allow reference to written materials during the auction under certain circumstances (usually against HUM systems & brown sticker conventions).

Oh, OK. I was wondering, actually, about HUM and brown sticker, but thought they were virtually never permitted. Do you know what events allow them?

Consultation between partners during the auction is not allowed anywhere, so far as I know.

It used to be the case that if the ACBL booklet had more than one defense (they did for the Multi) you could choose one when it was your turn and tell partner which one you had chosen. I do not know if this is still true.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#62 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-22, 23:49

View PostVampyr, on 2013-February-22, 19:32, said:

It used to be the case that if the ACBL booklet had more than one defense (they did for the Multi) you could choose one when it was your turn and tell partner which one you had chosen. I do not know if this is still true.

Neither do I. I do know the current regulations do not specify a time by which or at which a pair must choose its defense. Currently the Multi is the only Midchart agreement for which two options are provided in the defense database. It does seem to me rather odd that it would be permitted to make such a decision during the auction, but I suppose if you are not permitted to discuss it with partner but must, as Stefanie suggests, make your own decision and simply inform partner what decision you made, that's better than letting the pair discuss it in the middle of the auction. There is the case where a pair have developed their own defense, and have it on their card. It would seem more than just odd if either defender is suddenly allowed to decide, in the middle of the auction, to use the ACBL provided defense in such a case. Again, though, nothing in the regulations, so I suppose it's "custom and practice", and I have no idea what that is in these cases.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#63 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-February-23, 07:38

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-February-22, 23:49, said:

Neither do I.

Don't you play in the ACBL though?

There is the case where a pair have developed their own defense, and have it on their card.

Are they permitted to look at their card during the auction?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#64 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-February-23, 08:19

Oh, OK. I was wondering, actually, about HUM and brown sticker, but thought they were virtually never permitted. Do you know what events allow them?

This list is not exclusive, but in the UK the premier league and the final stages of the gold cup, for example.

#65 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 08:36

The EBU permits a number of agreements at Level 4, particularly in the area of two-level opening bids, that are Brown Sticker Conventions but playable in almost all events.

In Scotland Brown Sticker Conventions are permitted, subject to pre-event disclosure, in events where you play 16-board matches, which means the Scottish Cup and Winter Foursomes.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#66 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-23, 08:38

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-February-22, 23:49, said:

There is the case where a pair have developed their own defense, and have it on their card.

View PostVampyr, on 2013-February-23, 07:38, said:

In most jurisdictions the written defence is deemed to be part of the opponent's system card, meaning that you can refer to it when it is your turn to call.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#67 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-23, 13:10

View PostVampyr, on 2013-February-23, 07:38, said:

Don't you play in the ACBL though?

[snip]

I do play in the ACBL, though not in Midchart events (they're scarce as hen's teeth around here).

From the Midchart: "A defense to a method which requires the above pre-Alert (whether the approved one or one provided by the opposing pair) may be referred to during the auction by both pairs". This does not address your question about defenses the pair agrees before the session, i.e., not (necessarily) in the defense database or provided by the opponents who are using a Midchart convention for which they are required to provide a defense. I don't know what happens in practice, but my first inclination would be to say that if you devise your own defense, you can't refer to your card about it during the auction. I suspect I'm probably wrong though.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#68 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-February-23, 13:54

Are the ACBL regulations not accessible to the ACBL-based participants in this discussion?
From http://www.acbl.org/...sedatabase.html :

"When playing in an event governed by the ACBL Mid-Chart, you may refer, during the bidding and/or play, to any defense contained herein to a Mid-Chart method being used by your opponents (you may also refer to your own defensive method)."

There is nothing there to say that you can discuss which defence to play after the auction has started. Anyway, you can't, because it's prohibited by Law 73A1.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#69 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-February-23, 14:02

People may have done this, but are you sure that it was actually allowed?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#70 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-February-23, 15:39

View Postgnasher, on 2013-February-23, 14:02, said:

People may have done this, but are you sure that it was actually allowed?

Yes, it was specifically allowed.

#71 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-23, 20:23

View PostVampyr, on 2013-February-23, 15:39, said:

Yes, it was specifically allowed.

By written regulation, or because a TD said so?
--------------------

#72 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-February-23, 21:11

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-February-23, 20:23, said:

By written regulation, or because a TD said so?

It was printed in the booklet.

#73 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-February-23, 21:28

View PostVampyr, on 2013-February-23, 21:11, said:

It was printed in the booklet.

And confirmed by a BBO Vugraph Operator on more than one occasion ---not that they are neccessarily authorities, but they have the advantage of listening and being on scene.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#74 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-February-23, 21:53

Huh. Well, it's the ACBL. Who knows? :unsure:
--------------------

#75 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-26, 06:18

It seems to me that if I played in the ACBL I should create defences to all of these conventions that only handle the awkward hands for the recommended ones. Then I can use our defence if holding one of those hands but switch to a recommended one otherwise. The big benefit of this method is that we effectively get twice as much bidding space as normal. In some cases, I daresay we can get more space back than the opponents' preempt took away. I assume it is illegal for us to prepare 2 (or more) of our own defences...
(-: Zel :-)

#76 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-February-26, 09:14

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-February-26, 06:18, said:

It seems to me that if I played in the ACBL I should create defences to all of these conventions that only handle the awkward hands for the recommended ones. Then I can use our defence if holding one of those hands but switch to a recommended one otherwise. The big benefit of this method is that we effectively get twice as much bidding space as normal. In some cases, I daresay we can get more space back than the opponents' preempt took away. I assume it is illegal for us to prepare 2 (or more) of our own defences...

Notwithstanding what you may have read above, once the auction has started it's illegal for you to discuss which defence to use, so this wouldn't work.

#77 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-26, 09:34

View Postgnasher, on 2013-February-26, 09:14, said:

Notwithstanding what you may have read above, once the auction has started it's illegal for you to discuss which defence to use, so this wouldn't work.

Does announcing "We're using defense #2" constitute discussion? I think he was saying that the player would simply decide on his own which defense to use, based on which is better for his hand type.

It does seem like this should be fishy. Suppose defense #1 only has ways to show 1-suiters, while defense #2 can only show 2-suiters. The announcement of which defense you're using would indicate whether you have a 1- or 2-suiter, saving you from having to waste a call on that.

#78 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-February-26, 09:36

Maybe so but I am allowed to look at my own hand and decide if it would be better bid using our private defence or an ACBL recommended one. And I can announce which defence I am choosing to partner. The latter is certain because it was perfectly described on vugraph once when a Multi was opened against Meckwell.
(-: Zel :-)

#79 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-February-26, 10:44

View Postgombo121, on 2013-February-18, 11:45, said:

Аs I just mention above, they preempt and when you ask what kind of preemts they are playing they tell you "we agreed to use strong if opposition plays penalty double and weak if they use take-out". Are you feeling comfortable?

Sure. I call the TD who tells them to stop being silly b****rs and tell you what they are playing. Otherwise he will rule under MI Laws.

View Postgombo121, on 2013-February-19, 01:19, said:

We are all (or almost all) TDs here and we all would generally like to rule in your favor.

Are we all? I was not aware of this.

Ordinary EBU Level 4 events allow Brown Stickers in many situations, though not written defences.

There is no booklet now, just downloadable defences, and nothing tells you whether you can do this or not.

Have you told the ACBL?

:ph34r:

Completely off-topic. :(

View Postpaulg, on 2013-February-23, 08:36, said:

In Scotland Brown Sticker Conventions are permitted, subject to pre-event disclosure, in events where you play 16-board matches, which means the Scottish Cup and Winter Foursomes.

Liz and I were going to play in the Winter Fours this year - and they changed the date to clash with an EBU teams. Please can the SBU avoid that next year, pretty please. :)
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#80 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-February-26, 10:57

The terms "illegal" and "permitted in the ACBL" have a certain amount of overlap.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users