• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

And it kept getting worse

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-20, 00:48

http://tinyurl.com/apqu48k

My X isn't ideal, but why is GIB pulling it with balanced garbage? I would have expected Pass to be the first choice (though I admit I don't know GIB at all), second option would be 1. This goes even without the XX, as I would expect 2 in this situation to always be 5+ Clubs.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-20, 02:26

View Postchasetb, on 2013-February-20, 00:48, said:

http://tinyurl.com/apqu48k

My X isn't ideal, but why is GIB pulling it with balanced garbage? I would have expected Pass to be the first choice (though I admit I don't know GIB at all), second option would be 1. This goes even without the XX, as I would expect 2 in this situation to always be 5+ Clubs.

For many pairs, passing in this situation is still a penalty pass: "I don't care that responder is showing strength, I reckon we've got them beat". One of the primary arguments in favour of this decision is that otherwise it's all too easy to psych the XX, and make oppo have a very difficult position.

Sure, GIB should probably bid 1 here as the lesser of evils: but that's a different topic.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users