BBO Discussion Forums: Various decisionable questions from EBU easter congress - last Q - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Various decisionable questions from EBU easter congress - last Q Play question

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-April-04, 15:02

Best line on this hand?

A972
KJT8
J75

Q43
A7
AQT842

Bidding (unopposed, both vul, N dealer)

P 1D*
1H** 2D
2N 3D

*F1 and unbalanced, 14+ points
**1H nat, unlimited

EW I later learned were very strong.

W leads the KC (standard leads), overtaken by the AC.
E returns the JS.

Take the reigns.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-April-05, 03:25

I have 8 top tricks (5, 2, A) and need one more. The trump finesse would make this, but I think I can do better.

The main problem is with entries. I can set up a trick, but then I'd have no entry to it; I can take the finesse but if it loses I go worse off than if I eschew it. The more I think about it, the more I worry about the switch. If it's a singleton, I risk conceding a ruff; if it's from JTx(x) I need to duck; if it's from a doubleton I need to cover. If it's a singleton, though, LHO has declined to overcall with KTxxx/?/?/KQx(?), which may indicate he's got shorter spades.

I duck the SJ, unless W puts in the K. What next? Assuming RHO is on lead again, and he plays another spade, I run it to the A9 (unless it's the T, which I cover). If he switches to a , I wait to see what comes back; if he switches to a , I take the finesse.

#3 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-05, 03:29

I would win the Ace and play J. Does it win or lose? If it loses what is returned?

#4 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-05, 04:26

I duck the SJ, unless W puts in the K. What next?

I would guess E plays a small S. W now puts in the K.

I would win the ♠Ace and play ♦J. Does it win or lose? If it loses what is returned?

It loses, W cashes the KS, plays a small C to the T, E plays third S which west ruffs for the setting trick.

This is on the actual hand, obviously – it doesn’t necessarily show what the best line is.

#5 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-05, 09:46

View PostJinksy, on 2013-April-05, 04:26, said:

<after ducking the J>
I would guess E plays a small S. W now puts in the K.

Excellent, looks like I read the spade position. I win the A, having come to 2 spade winners, 5 , and 2: I therefore play A and another, because then I'm home. Not sure this is the best line, but it works on the layout!

#6 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-05, 10:43

View PostCamHenry, on 2013-April-05, 09:46, said:

Excellent, looks like I read the spade position. I win the A, having come to 2 spade winners, 5 , and 2: I therefore play A and another, because then I'm home. Not sure this is the best line, but it works on the layout!

It works on the actual layout, but conceivably (based on what I've told you) W could have Kxx in D and still get his ruff. Doubt there's much you can sanely do to guard against that, though (AD AKH in case of QH dropping (which it does), risking a 2nd round ruff?).

#7 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2013-April-07, 20:24

RHO was very eager to overtake the club. Additionally, there was no 2 overcall to help you here (doesn't mean anything, LHO could be on a 13 point, five card club suit and chose not to bid). I'd win the AS and drop the AD and diamond exit.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users