• You cannot reply to this topic

5H versus 5S

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-May-18, 04:39

MP's

I'm not sure about the actual hand.
More interested to know how you play 5 and 5 after this sequence. What agreement (explicit of logic) do you have?

#2 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-18, 08:12

For me, 5 is a slam invite without a heart control.
For others, it forces partner to bid slam with a heart control.
There is no third choice, and 5 is a slam try with a heart control.

Obviously, on this hand you prefer the second agreement, but I think the first one is more frequently useful.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-May-18, 09:51

View Postcherdano, on 2013-May-18, 08:12, said:

Obviously, on this hand you prefer the second agreement, but I think the first one is more frequently useful.

Considering in the 1st case we are going down in 5 a lot the 2nd may be less frequent but more useful.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-18, 10:08

If it did not demand 6H with a control I'd just bid keycard, FU partner if you jumped with no aces and no kings and a doubleotn heart (its possible, but seems less likely than partner having what he thinks is a bad hand with a heart control and passing 5S).

#5 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-19, 04:47

Is there a rule that defines when support to 5M is asking a control in opps suit for 6M?
Something like?:
If opps preempt and you can not show strong support for partner's 4M with a cue-bid (e.g in example 5 minor is natural and strong) then 5M asks control in opps suit (and 5 in opps suit is slam-try with control).

E.g.:
(3C)-p-(4C)-DBL
(p)-4H-(p)-5H

(3H)-p-(4H)-DBL
(p)-4S-(p)-5S

#6 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-19, 05:13

I would just always play raising to 5M as asking for a control in opponents suit unless one of us has already shown a control or partner has already denied a control.

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-May-19, 05:48

I prefer to show stuff rather than ask. So 5 would show a control, 5 would deny one.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-20, 02:01

I am in that category. So easy 5 for me.

I know it has been fashion to play it as invitation for a while but i know a lot of good players turned back to "forcing to slam with a control" for a lot of reasons besides Phil and Justin mentioned.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2013-May-20, 04:56

View PostPhil, on 2013-May-18, 09:51, said:

Considering in the 1st case we are going down in 5 a lot the 2nd may be less frequent but more useful.

I don't agree fully - partner having a heart control is part of his general strength shown. So there are quite a few hands with xx in hearts where I think we can be fairly confident of making 5, but can't be confident of making 6 when partner has a heart control.

Obviously, the ideal agreement depends on the range partner has shown - the more wide-ranging, the more useful the invitation, the narrower the range, the more likely we want to have the slam "force".
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-May-20, 06:03

View Postkgr, on 2013-May-19, 04:47, said:

Is there a rule that defines when support to 5M is asking a control in opps suit for 6M?

Anytime showing controls is not possible due to lack of space or lack of forcing bid to stablish trumph

#11 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-May-20, 08:32

I have always played that a raise to 5 of the major was a slam force (not an invite) if responder had second round control of the opponents' suit (or the missing suit in an auction where it is clear that the other suits are controlled).

It is possible that a raise to 5 of a major might be a general invitation if the control ask definition did not make sense on the given auction. For example, if either partner had splintered in the opponents' suit, it would not make sense to ask for second round control, so the 5 of a major bid would have to be a general invitation.

Unitl I read this thread, I had never heard of 5 of a major being used to mean if you have control of the opponents' suit I am inviting slam. While that would clearly increase the frequency of the use of the call, that is not necessarily a good thing. I would imagine that it would increase the frequency of 5 of a major down one.

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-May-20, 09:35

View Postcherdano, on 2013-May-20, 04:56, said:

I don't agree fully - partner having a heart control is part of his general strength shown. So there are quite a few hands with xx in hearts where I think we can be fairly confident of making 5, but can't be confident of making 6 when partner has a heart control.

Obviously, the ideal agreement depends on the range partner has shown - the more wide-ranging, the more useful the invitation, the narrower the range, the more likely we want to have the slam "force".

Here was one I had last week:

xxxx xx A AKQJxx

R/W:

2 - pass - 2N - 3
3 - 4 - ?

3 was undiscussed, but presumably partner has a great suit but a minimum, especially in the context of the vulnerability. In addition, its unclear whether or not we are in a FP. Would 5 be sensible here?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-May-23, 03:08

An alternative is for 5 to ask for a heart control and 5 to be an invite with a heart control. One advantage of this is that you could potentially bid 5 with a hand that wants to go to slam anyway but the information about a heart control would be useful for deciding which slam to bid.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users