BBO Discussion Forums: tournaments: restricting player types. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

tournaments: restricting player types.

#1 User is offline   EdmundB 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-07, 11:39

The short version: Setting up 1-round, 4-pair tournaments, which are really team matches. Using the client software. This simplifies the process of running a team game in some ways, I think. Maybe it's just foolish.

Having difficulty with the function that restricts the kind of player. Right now, would like to exclude novice / beginner / private (by including wc, exp, adv, int, but they're getting through. beginners are fine people, but in a tournament they can drive people nuts.

1. am I just screwing up by using abbreviations for world class / expert / advanced / intermediate? or am I just missing something.

2. Should I use web for tourney creation to do this? I do like the windows client, but the important thing is to get the job done.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-07, 12:36

Can't answer your question - will let others do that - but slightly surprised that you put so much trust in a player's self-assessment of ability that you are looking to the software to provide a solution to bar players who self-assess below the minimum qualification, or even (horror!) self assess as private.

Apart from maintaining include/exclude lists of named players whose competence you have had an opportunity to judge on an intelligent basis, I see no way to achieve your goal. If you advertise that only adv+ players are invited, then you are operating on trust that players below that level will not join. But the self-assessment ability ratings operate on no lesser principle of trust. If they are knowingly joining a table at which they are not welcome, they will do so anyway just by changing their profile, temporarily if they wish, to show advanced.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   EdmundB 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-July-07, 12:43

I'm not really that hung up on the self assessments. Note, I'm not including "stars." :-) Just toying with the software.

And there is an external ranking site.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-July-07, 15:47

View PostEdmundB, on 2013-July-07, 11:39, said:

1. am I just screwing up by using abbreviations for world class / expert / advanced / intermediate? or am I just missing something.

You should be selecting levels from a predefined list, not by typing words. In the web version it's a bunch of checkboxes that appear when you select "Include players by player level". I don't know what it looks like in the download client.

#5 User is offline   EdmundB 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-July-07, 18:05

View Postbarmar, on 2013-July-07, 15:47, said:

You should be selecting levels from a predefined list, not by typing words. In the web version it's a bunch of checkboxes that appear when you select "Include players by player level". I don't know what it looks like in the download client.

thanks. I will use the web. The client has nothing like checkboxes.

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-July-07, 19:08

But remember, BBO users use inverted skill level.

WC (no star) = Novice
Expert = Beginner
Advanced = Intermediate
etc
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   EdmundB 

• PipPip

Posted 2013-July-07, 20:32

View Postjillybean, on 2013-July-07, 19:08, said:

But remember, BBO users use inverted skill level.

WC (no star) = Novice
Expert = Beginner
Advanced = Intermediate
etc

:lol:

Star = Free

fred might throw us out for this. ;-)

Now, seriously, a detailed introduction to the web version might be good, as I couldn't quite find how to set up a tourney there. Or, again, instruction to this aspect of the windows client would be good.

details of the web version are on this site, I'm sure, and I'll search for them half-heartedly.

#8 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-July-08, 03:44

As regards the external ranking site, if you mean BBO skill that's already been discussed at length and the conclusion was it was worse than useless.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users