BBO Discussion Forums: "Mandatory" negative double? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Mandatory" negative double? A way to remove doubts about unauthorized information

#1 User is offline   nielsfoged 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-July-14, 16:17

Please excuse me, if this topic appears in the wrong forum, ...or maybe even appears to you to be proposing a wrongdoing to your freedom to operate when playing bridge!
Today, I experienced the following rather usual situation in a national level pairs tournament (arranged without screens, and in the presence of very experienced and competent international tournament directors, TDs):

I was East and my partner correctly used the stop card when bidding 3, and North took what seemed to me an appropriate pause and briefly checked our convention card before passing. I passed, and South made the final pass after a brief consideration.

My opponents have been partners and have participated in national championships for many years. I know them well, as pleasant, fair and friendly. They play 5-card major and weak (12-14) 1NT openings. Both of their 1 Minor openings promise at least 3 cards. They play negative doubles up to the 4-level. I would never expect them to do any conscious illegal signalling at the table, and I believe they do their best to reduce the risk of sending and receiving unauthorized information.

However, I think it should be "mandatory" to make a negative double with hands like the actual one, for all who choose to play and declare the abovementioned conventions. In my opinion, there should be no freedom to sense that this particular time a negative double is too dangerous, whereas another time it would be OK with a similar hand. I am aware that such a decison to pass can be argued by the bidder as e.g., "table feeling", "trying to secure the actual placement in the tournament by avoiding a catastrophe", etc, etc. I am also aware that there will be other hands, which are not as obvious in shape, or where the vulnerability is even less attractive as in the actual example, and where a decision to pass has more substantial arguments.

I decided to call the TD after the board was played, but as I almost expected the TD (very likely rightfully) felt that my protest and call had no merit, since I had not seen been aware of any unauthorized information.

Thank you in advance for any comment or view points on this you will share here.

Niels

PS: we got a high score (90%) on the board winning 10 tricks in 3, where the opponents had 10-11 tricks in a contract, so the reason for bringing it up is purely of general nature.

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-July-14, 17:21

Look at this from another point of view----your LHO may have sensed that his p
had a "problem" with his hand and was "unintentionally" making the opening
bidder aware of it. LHO then did the honorable thing and passed not because
of any special table feel but because their p squirming made pass the honorable
thing to do.

The TD is there to redress "injury" and if your RHO was squirming in order to
keep his p quiet (because he had complete dreck for ex:) a case for misconduct
against your RHO could be made. LHO in this instance acted well IMO and I see
no reason to consider it necessary to make the x automatic any more than I think
it is reasonable to force a player to bid 1n with Kxx KQxx Kxx KJx with no spots
higher than a 6. If a player wants to downgrade such a hand to a 1c/1d opening
that's their business.

#3 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 18:04

I think double is completely obvious, I don't think any reasonable player would choose to pass in that position.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 18:06

View Postnielsfoged, on 2013-July-14, 16:17, said:

However, I think it should be "mandatory" to make a negative double with hands like the actual one, for all who choose to play and declare the abovementioned conventions. In my opinion, there should be no freedom to sense that this particular time a negative double is too dangerous, whereas another time it would be OK with a similar hand.

It may be difficult to determine whether reopening on this hand is in fact "mandatory" in your opponents' system. Obviously they do not have to arrange their system to your liking or that of anyone but themselves.

If in fact it is mandatory, then there may have been some UI created and it happened as per gszes' post. But there are other possibilities -- maybe opener noticed a lack of UI, and knew that it was always present when partner has a trump stack.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 18:25

Your opponent was being super ethical imo, pretty ridiculous post? He knew his partner had some values or a trap pass or w/e based on the UI he had available (from his partners hesitation over 3C), so if X and pass are logical alternatives, he chose the one that was not suggested by the UI (obviously if partner thinks over 3C, X rates to work).

If your argument is that passing is not a logical alternative then alright, all the guy did was damage himself by bending over backwards to be ethical. You should compliment him.

It is not really irrelevant that you got a near top and doubling would have worked well for him, that's kind of the point. Look at it this way, if his partner insta passed over 3C and he passed it out, that would be unethical since it would be pretty obvious his partner had a bad hand and thus passing would rate to work well. The opposite occurred here, his partner indicated a marginal bid (or a hand that was going to trap pass), so obviously doubling would work well for him.

If this happened to me I would double since I think it is the only logical alternative, but I would understand if you called the director and tried to argue I had UI and that passing was a logical altnerative. If I passed I would hope you would commend me or be appreciative of my actively ethical, and most likely too ethical, behavior, not start a thread that maybe I had done something wrong lol or even worse, call the director on me! You got this one completely backwards.

edit: ok sorry, I thought you said north took an inappropriate pause... if he took an appropriate pause then what is the UI? What is the infraction? That he made a strange (in your opinion bid)? He didn't reopen with a minimum opener, not everyone has to play bridge the same way, that is certainly something that many people would do. If you think that his partner broke tempo either too fast or too slow then I would understand your point but if he did nothing unusual I don't see the problem, south is free to do whatever they want. If you think all players should have to play bridge the same way and reopen at the 3 level vul with a 12 count then that seems pretty bad.

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-14, 19:30

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-July-14, 18:25, said:

edit: ok sorry, I thought you said north took an inappropriate pause... if he took an appropriate pause then what is the UI? What is the infraction? That he made a strange (in your opinion bid)? He didn't reopen with a minimum opener, not everyone has to play bridge the same way, that is certainly something that many people would do. If you think that his partner broke tempo either too fast or too slow then I would understand your point but if he did nothing unusual I don't see the problem, south is free to do whatever they want. If you think all players should have to play bridge the same way and reopen at the 3 level vul with a 12 count then that seems pretty bad.

All of that edit covers the legalities, and no there is nothing mandatory about reopening with that hand unless your agreements command it. It is a choice.

I would reopen it with a double. Partner surely holds somewhere around 9 to a lot more. She could easily have the best hand at the table but the wrong orientation for a negative double, a pure penalty pass, or negative double configuration without quite the strength for 3-level action. I don't care which of those it is; will find out after I double.

But, there is no one who will succesfully tell me I have to reopen it. If Righty were not a passed hand, I would not reopen.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 19:33

There may be some impact from playing a weak notrump here. Responder (north) in these auctions will normally assume that opener has a strong notrump, and will therefore act more aggressively. For example, he aught to bid 3M with a good nine-count and five-card suit, or double with appropriate shape and 9 points, both hands which pass in a strong notrump system (where he'd expect a weak notrump and wouldn't want to wind up in game opposite that). This makes balancing less appealing, and it seems reasonable to say that a balancing double at the three-level shows a better hand (including shape) than a strong notrump opening.

Just a thought; I agree with Justin on the merits of the director call.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#8 User is offline   IVAN CY LO 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 01:00

weak 1NT(12-14), 1 minor opening = ?

I know some players play this 1 minor opening = extremely weak, just around 10-11 HCP. So this pass with means below 10 and unable to takeout at 3 level.

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-July-15, 01:23

View PostIVAN CY LO, on 2013-July-15, 01:00, said:

I know some players play this 1 minor opening = extremely weak, just around 10-11 HCP. So this pass with means below 10 and unable to takeout at 3 level.

So, with 15-17 these players don't open at all?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 02:27

no, this pass could be an unbalanced hand with some club length, or it could be a balanced 15-16, or it could (apparently) be a hand like this one, i.e. good shape but minimum values.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   nielsfoged 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 03:23

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-July-14, 18:25, said:

Your opponent was being super ethical imo, pretty ridiculous post? He knew his partner had some values or a trap pass or w/e based on the UI he had available (from his partners hesitation over 3C), so if X and pass are logical alternatives, he chose the one that was not suggested by the UI (obviously if partner thinks over 3C, X rates to work).

Dear Justin

You scared me a bit there by starting your reply by categorizing my post as rediculous - not your normal style - and as I read your edit, you later found out that you misunderstood me, something you rarely do either :)

Just to be absolutely precise:
* According to my interpretation North acted absolutely correct after the "Stop 3 bid": about 10-15 seconds of break showing a regular interest in the bid and his own considerations, then passing.
What I was searching from this Expert Forum and players of your caliber was comments on whether a Double by South should be a "mandatory"/"automatic"/"no judgement" situation with a normal opening hand and 4441-distribution, simply to avoid any speculations about unauthorized information (which is really hard not to give in this situation, and may happen at a very subtle level for partners in a long-time partnership, when playing without screens).

So, I hope and think the discussion has some merit. None of us like to be in mandatory situations when playing bridge. However, when we decide which conventions to play and declare them to our opponents, we make the decisions in advance to always reply to Stayman and Blackwood, and almost always open a 12-counter (put in the number you prefer!). Obviously we do that in order to score as much as possible, and passing in those situations would almost by guarantee lead to a poorer score for us. In practice, these bids therefore become "mandatory". The reason for making a "mandatory" double in my example is quite different. It may lead to a better score (in my opinion it will in most cases), but there is a subtantial risk, it will not. However, I believe we have made the decision to "always" double with hands like that, already on the day we decided to play negative doubles over preemptive bidding. So in my opinion, there should be no judgement/table feeling/score considerations involved in South decision to double, it is not just the arguably best bridge decision, it is an automatic consequence of the conventional agreement and simply must be made to avoid the risk of being accused of acting differently due to some unintended small hint from partner.

Kind regards

Niels

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-15, 04:21

I think what you're saying is this:

If there is an action which is automatic, you shouldn't be allowed to use your table presence to choose some other action, because what you think is table presence may in fact be subconscious use of UI.

The problem with this type of rule is that we now have to make a judgement as to whether an action is, in fact, automatic. That's complex because:
- You think it's automatic to double on the example hand, but somebody else might not. (FWIW, I wouldn't double.)
- It might be automatic in most partnerships, but not in this particular partnership. This particular North might tend to bid an immediate 3NT more often than other Norths, so there is less need to cater for a penalty double. This particular North might make negative doubles more freely than other Norths, so there is less need to cater for a major-suit fit.
- South might have picked up something from the opponents' tempo or demeanour. That's an important part of the game, and it would be a great shame if we made that skill unusable in all sorts of everyday situations.

You're also imposing a duty on South to decide what is automatic. That means that he has to spend some of his time answering the question "What would my peers do?" instead of "What is the right action?". That will make his decision-making less good, so he will play worse bridge.

We already have a rule that constrains people's actions when they have UI. Every good player dislikes being in that situation, because it stops them using their judgement, which makes the game less skilful and less enjoyable. You're suggesting extending that rule to situations where there is no detectable UI. These situations occur much more often than situations where there is UI. So, everyone will be in a situation that they dislike and where they are obliged to play worse bridge, far more often than they are at present.

In any case, there is a much better solution to the problem: screens.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2013-July-15, 04:38

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 05:23

View Postgnasher, on 2013-July-15, 04:21, said:

The problem with this type of rule is that we now have to make a judgement as to whether an action is, in fact, automatic. That's complex because:
- You think it's automatic to double on the example hand, but somebody else might not. (FWIW, I wouldn't double.)
[...]
- South might have picked up something from the opponents' tempo or demeanour. That's an important part of the game, and it would be a great shame if we made that skill unusable in all sorts of everyday situations.

Indeed - one can pick up all sorts of information from opponents' flickers. Last week I held a hand very similar to this, where LHO overcalled in my singleton at the one level. RHO thought about something and I decided to pass despite it being a clear reopening double situation. Problem was, they now got to play in their 26 count game at the one level. Lucky? Undoubtedly, and I am likely to double next time even with the flicker. But I would have a real problem if they now received a favourable adjustment after they were the ones who both stuffed up and passed extraneous information.

If this becomes a mandatory double situation, the skill of reading your opponents is significantly reduced. Apart from all the other points that gnasher brings up, this approach is dumbing down the game to try and achieve something fairly negligible.

#14 User is offline   nielsfoged 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 05:42

View Postgnasher, on 2013-July-15, 04:21, said:

I think what you're saying is this:

If there is an action which is automatic, you shouldn't be allowed to use your table presence to choose some other action, because what you think is table presence may in fact be subconscious use of UI.

ohhhh Gnasher
You are putting me in a difficult position there! In your footnote you write: "No need to repeat your uninformed, vacuous opinion 32159 times. We understood you the first time. - Gwnn", and at the same time you make a guess of what I tried to state, and probably expect me to confirm that... :rolleyes:

However, you are absolutely right: that is the issue that I am raising in my post.

As you do, also I foresee the problems for players and TDs, that such a policy would cause. That is: not being allowed to use table presence in certain well defined situations, as a consequence of the conventions you have freely decided to play and declare.

Today, most high level players have given up the direct penalty double after opponent's preemptive bid, and their conventional agreement (e.g. "negative double") will give them more points if they administer it well. However, everyone agrees that the advantages (and disadvantages) of conventions must derive from the biddings and definitely not from UI associated with that, such as hesitations before passing the preemptive bid. The difficult part is when there is a substantial risk of subtle unintended hints your partner may give even when trying his best to avoid giving UI, and which actually may be picked up only by a long-time partner, and even then maybe only subconsciously.

That is practically impossible to regulate for (except by use of screens, which at least help a lot). So one possible solution (good or bad: that is the discussion!) is to accept that when having agreed to playing "negative doubles over preempts", that convention includes automatically re-opening a regular 4-4-4-1 hand with a Double. I would be willing to accept that tiny reduction in to my freedom-to-operate, if that would be a requirement for being allowed to play such negative doubles. Would you?

/Niels

#15 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 05:54

Of course if this pair played "automatic" reopenings with a minimum 4441, S would have doubled. Aparently they don't. Or maybe, as Gnasher suggests, S may have some AI (from his RHO's hesitation, for example) that made him pass.

I wouldn't personally speculate much about South's pass if this hapened to me. But if I were to guess South's motives, I would think that most likely this pair just agreeed that a reopening double shows extras in this situation. As Adam says, this is a quite reasonable agreement for a pair that plays weak NT. And I would think that the second most likely explanation is that South is being overly ethical, as Justin suggests.

This post has been edited by helene_t: 2013-July-15, 06:51

The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-July-15, 06:07

As has already been pointed out, the only time anything has seriously gone wrong needing adjusting is where an opp breaks tempo with rubbish, thus causing his partner who would have reopened not to.

I would always reopen with that hand and would do so regardless of hesitation, we trap pass more often than most, and if I've decided I have an opening bid and I have a singleton in opps' suit, then I'm obliged to double, but I respect that other people don't necessarily play that way.

#17 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 06:09

View Postnielsfoged, on 2013-July-15, 05:42, said:

You are putting me in a difficult position there! In your footnote you write: "No need to repeat your uninformed, vacuous opinion 32159 times. We understood you the first time. - Gwnn"

I think you misunderstand - it's a sig, in which he has quoted a line from a post by someone else (gwnn) about yet another person (32159). None of it has anything to do with you at all.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-15, 06:24

I think it was fine to call the director. You thought that an infraction might have occurred and that you might have been damaged, and you followed the proper procedure for dealing with such a situation. You're allowed to be wrong about whether there was actually an infraction, just as you're allowed to wrong about any other matters of bridge judgement.

It's far better to call the director than to do nothing at the time but talk about it afterwards (or post it on the internet) in a situation where the opponent can't defend his actions.

Also, the opponents have no reason to take offence at your director call. When you allege a breach of the UI rules, you're not accusing anyone of cheating. You're "accusing" them of one of the following:
- Not consciously being aware of the UI.
- Not understanding their obligations in the presence of UI.
- Misjudgement in determining the implications of the UI.
- Misjudgement in determining what the logical alternatives are.
None of these is a reason to be offended - we all have imperfect judgement and imperfect awareness of what's going on around us, and nearly all of us have an imperfect understanding of the rules.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-July-15, 06:35

View Postgordontd, on 2013-July-15, 06:09, said:

I think you misunderstand - it's a sig, in which he has quoted a line from a post by someone else (gwnn) about yet another person (32159). None of it has anything to do with you at all.

I was about to say the same to Niels by private message. In fact, I generally find Niels's posts interesting, informed and not at all repetitive.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-July-15, 15:12

Weak notrumpers do not open 10-11 (semi)balanced hands, unless they are upgrading an 11-count or including it in their opening.

View Postnielsfoged, on 2013-July-15, 05:42, said:

So one possible solution (good or bad: that is the discussion!) is to accept that when having agreed to playing "negative doubles over preempts", that convention includes automatically re-opening a regular 4-4-4-1 hand with a Double. I would be willing to accept that tiny reduction in to my freedom-to-operate, if that would be a requirement for being allowed to play such negative doubles. Would you?

I certainly would not, but you can. If you like, you can set maximum combinations of strength/shape below which your partnership, depending on position, vulnerability and auction-to-date, cannot pass. I don't know how many pairs set these limits explicitly.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users