Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defenders claim/concession Failure to make a statement when tabling the carrds

#1 User is offline   ANDREX 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-August-04, 13:49

During a club pairs night,a defender, on lead with three tricks remaining, places the H984 on the table and makes no statement. Declarer (me) holds H76 and a winning spade. Other hands are irrelevant being void of hearts.

It is unclear if this tabling of cards represents a claim or a concession.

Also it is not clear that the defender knows that there are any hearts outside of her hand, nor if they are, what rank they are.

Is it reasonable to assume, as director, that this is a claim and also that the cards tabled will be played from the top? Could it be thought that defender thinks these cards are all equal and might carelessly 'cash' them in an order that is not 9-8-4 or 8-9-4?

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2013-August-04, 15:06

View PostANDREX, on 2013-August-04, 13:49, said:

Is it reasonable to assume, as director, that this is a claim and also that the cards tabled will be played from the top?

yes
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-04, 22:41

View PostRMB1, on 2013-August-04, 15:06, said:

yes

Agreed. If I held that hand, I would simply show it and expect everyone to understand. I've probably made 2 or 3 claims in that fashion this week in Atlanta.

#4 User is offline   richlp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-05, 11:05

View PostANDREX, on 2013-August-04, 13:49, said:

During a club pairs night,a defender, on lead with three tricks remaining, places the H984 on the table and makes no statement. Declarer (me) holds H76 and a winning spade. Other hands are irrelevant being void of hearts.

It is unclear if this tabling of cards represents a claim or a concession.

Also it is not clear that the defender knows that there are any hearts outside of her hand, nor if they are, what rank they are.

Is it reasonable to assume, as director, that this is a claim and also that the cards tabled will be played from the top? Could it be thought that defender thinks these cards are all equal and might carelessly 'cash' them in an order that is not 9-8-4 or 8-9-4?

I typically put the high heart on the table and then face my hand. I've never had anybody challenge this on "might be careless" grounds.

If you ever catch me challenging a claim as you presented it, feel free to bar me from your club. (If there were only one outstanding heart I might feel a little different about somebody who challenged the claim, but would never do so myself)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users