Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

psyching with robots v humans

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-09, 23:33

Say that in an "all robot" tourney (by which I mean 1 human, 3 robots per table), you (the human) adopt a policy of freely "modulating" the system on a high percentage of hands. Opening the weaker minor, off-shape 1N openers, lying in response to Stayman, that sort of thing. Not (perhaps) "psychs" in the legal sense of the word, because the distortions are not "gross". But absolutely not the action that the system dicates and not the action that a robot would have taken had it been sitting in your seat.

Had you adopted this tactic with a human partner there would be an implicit agreement by reason of frequency, which would be disclosable (thereby diminishing the net long term effectiveness of the tactic against human opps, perhaps eliminating it).

Now, say that you sit at a table with a robot partner and two human opponents, and decide to adopt the same policy. What are your disclosure obligations now?

You might argue along these lines: The robot has no memory. You could psych on a million consecutive hands and the next psych would still come as a complete surprise to the robot. Indeed by then it would have no element of surprise for the human opponents.

The counter argument is that both members of the partnership are required to play the same system, so it is not a disclosure breach so much as a breach of the regulation requiring both partners to play the same system. That said, I think that the requirement for both partners to play the same system is not in the primary legislation but derives from powers devolved to the sponsoring organisation and as such is a "local" regulation. Perhaps universally adopted but perhaps not. In a particular event on BBO it may depend on who is running the tourney.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-10, 05:37

Wrong forum. The 2nd letter in IBLF stands for "Bridge".
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-10, 05:44

IMO it's clearly fair game. The GIB CC is available to opps and there is no partnership understanding to disclose beyond that.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-10, 09:42

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-September-09, 23:33, said:

Now, say that you sit at a table with a robot partner and two human opponents, and decide to adopt the same policy. What are your disclosure obligations now?

You might argue along these lines: The robot has no memory. You could psych on a million consecutive hands and the next psych would still come as a complete surprise to the robot. Indeed by then it would have no element of surprise for the human opponents.

The opponents are entitled to know what your partner knows about your style. Since the robot is oblivious to these psyches, they don't result in any implicit understandings that need to be disclosed.

#5 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-10, 12:21

This is an interesting question. Compare and contrast with the following situation.

In an all human game, player A regularly plays with player B.
A is a strong player, maybe a bridge professional.
B is a weaker player with a poor memory.
A frequently deviates from the agrees system but B does not usually notice.

Should the A/B partnership disclose A's tendency to depart from the agreed system?

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-10, 15:20

View Postjallerton, on 2013-September-10, 12:21, said:

This is an interesting question. Compare and contrast with the following situation.

Should the A/B partnership disclose A's tendency to depart from the agreed system?

I think so, yes. Another question is "how should they disclose it?"
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-September-10, 16:00

View Postjallerton, on 2013-September-10, 12:21, said:

Yes they should, and we wouldn't excuse them because of B's poor memory. Nor should we excuse them because B is a machine.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-11, 08:09

View Postgnasher, on 2013-September-10, 16:00, said:

Yes they should, and we wouldn't excuse them because of B's poor memory. Nor should we excuse them because B is a machine.

I agree completely with Andy, and I think that it is obvious. Psyches or deviations can become CPUs, it is true, but everyone seems to be dismissing the matter of MI.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-11, 08:25

Everyone?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-September-11, 09:56

How about something like this. A has a history of psyching. After some disaster. B complains, and A promises never to psyche again with him.

Should B take A at his word, or disclose his tendency to psyche? What if A breaks his promise and psyches again, but afterward swears that was the last time?

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-11, 11:35

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-September-11, 08:25, said:

Everyone?

No, but a number of people, and it makes me sad that so many people misunderstand their ethical obligation.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-September-11, 11:54

I admit to being somewhat torn on this.

Lets assume that "true" partnership agreement is the following:

The Robot uses system X
The human makes the bid that he thinks will work best if interpreted as X by the robot

I don't see anything wrong with this sort of behavior.
If you are playing against a human player, I think that you should disclose likely deviations from system X

Personally, I don't find the absent minded human analogy to be interesting.
If your partner can't remember your psyches, he probably can't remember the system that he is supposedly playing.
The whole concept of disclosure becomes kinda silly.
Alderaan delenda est

#13 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-11, 15:04

I don't think the absent-minded partner is a good analogy. It's not just that the robot probably won't remember your psyches, it isn't even aware of ever having played with you before. You essentially get a new, albeit identical, partner every hand; a better analogy is an individual.

#14 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-11, 16:08

The human makes the call he thinks will work best if interpreted by X by *the three robots*. Which, is, of course, the Bridge Legal problem.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-11, 18:17

View Postbarmar, on 2013-September-11, 09:56, said:

How about something like this. A has a history of psyching. After some disaster. B complains, and A promises never to psyche again with him.

Should B take A at his word, or disclose his tendency to psyche? What if A breaks his promise and psyches again, but afterward swears that was the last time?

I read about this situation but B made A promise to pay a fine next time he psyched.

Sat down against somebody A didn't like and he said "Here's the 20 bucks I owe you" handing it to his partner. 1
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-September-12, 10:16

View Postggwhiz, on 2013-September-11, 18:17, said:

Sat down against somebody A didn't like and he said "Here's the 20 bucks I owe you" handing it to his partner. 1

So the Laws don't allow clubs to prohibit psyches outright. But is there anything preventing them from having a "psyche jar", like the "swear jar" that some families have (if you swear, you have to pay a fine)?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users