• You cannot reply to this topic

Just wondering

#1 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-October-12, 03:40

Last week I held the following hand: K9752 T92 98543 -. It was imps, I forgot the vulnerability, it was a dull hand irl, but I have a few hypothetical questions.

Partner opened 1NT (15-17, can have 5M) and for a second I wondered about bidding 2 regular Stayman (doesn't include light invites with 5(+) though) instead of the normal transfer. After a 2 or 2 response you'd probably be in a decent spot, but you might miss a better fit (especially after a 2 response). How much merit does it have in your opinion?

- If 1NT-2-2red-2 would be INV with 5+, would you start with 2 or transfer (planning to signoff)?
- If 1NT-2-2red-2 would NOT be INV with 5+, would you start with 2 or transfer?
- If you decide to transfer, partner super accepts, and you can show shortness now, would you do it or would you just retransfer to 3?
- If the Majors were reversed, would you consider 2 regular Stayman now?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#2 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2013-October-12, 05:20

It's not far from 4351 which many of us would Stayman on. I like transfer to 2S partly because the King is in that suit, but also because if they get into the auction, in some situations we can back in with 3D. Also, 2C allows them to double and possibly take us higher than we would prefer.

If 2H was superaccepted with a normal superaccept or a good superaccept, I will go back to 3S (via retransfer if needed). If there are 3 superaccepts where one is the 17 4fit with a ruffing value, I will bid game at IMPs.

Thanks,
Dan

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-12, 09:14

I agree with Dan with an emphasis on 2 making it easy for them to come in. We have shape, they may too.

They may be able to come in anyway, (the vul is a factor there) and we could well end up defending something even doubled and such as it is this is where our defense lies and my partnership plays so many super accepts it's not out of the question to find a magic game.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2013-October-12, 09:48

1. Stayman & 2S = a classic in SEF: inviting
2. Stayman
3. retransfer
4. NO

Btw, I hope your 1NT=15-17, else I change my answers.

View PostFree, on 2013-October-12, 03:40, said:

Last week I held the following hand: K9752 T92 98543 -. It was imps, I forgot the vulnerability, it was a dull hand irl, but I have a few hypothetical questions.

Partner opened 1NT (15-17, can have 5M) and for a second I wondered about bidding 2 regular Stayman (doesn't include light invites with 5(+) though) instead of the normal transfer. After a 2 or 2 response you'd probably be in a decent spot, but you might miss a better fit (especially after a 2 response). How much merit does it have in your opinion?

- If 1NT-2-2red-2 would be INV with 5+, would you start with 2 or transfer (planning to signoff)?
- If you decide to transfer, partner super accepts, and you can show shortness now, would you do it or would you just retransfer to 3?

Bob Herreman

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-October-12, 12:34

- If 1NT-2-2red-2 would be INV with 5+,

Why would this method be played if transfers are being played?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-October-12, 12:39

View PostVampyr, on 2013-October-12, 12:34, said:

Why would this method be played if transfers are being played?

You can find lots of threads about this topic, so lets not get off topic here please.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-12, 13:09

I think I'd do this if my spades and diamonds were reversed, but on the actual hand it seems like spades will play okay opposite a doubleton.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-October-12, 19:46

Last week I held the following hand: K9752 T92 98543 -. It was imps, I forgot the vulnerability, it was a dull hand irl, but I have a few hypothetical questions. Partner opened 1NT (15-17, can have 5M) and for a second I wondered about bidding 2 regular Stayman (doesn't include light invites with 5(+) though) instead of the normal transfer. After a 2 or 2 response you'd probably be in a decent spot, but you might miss a better fit (especially after a 2 response). How much merit does it have in your opinion?

IMO
  • 2 = 10, 2 = 5.
  • 2 = 10, 2 = 7.
  • 3 = 10, 3 = 5.
  • 2 = 10, 2 = 8.
Welcome back Lurpoa

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users