• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who plays bridge? Google consumer survey

#1 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-06, 08:39

I recently stumbled across an old ACBL survey from 2005 that claimed that the USA hosts 25 million bridge players.

Yeah, me too. So we decided to run a quick Google Consumer Survey, asking just one question

"Do you know how to play Bridge, the card game?"

This survey seems to claim that 12.4 % of the sampled population ( +/- about 3% ) knows how to play bridge. The population sampled were US adults (supposedly) with Internet access

I don't know enough to know how valid this survey is.

So, opinions on the methodology and results?

References

Results of Google Survey

Original ACBL survey (PDF)

Nate Silver on which polls fared best in the US presidental election

Pew Research Center about google surveys

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-March-06, 09:05

Comment 1: Did the Google Survey report confidence bounds? If not, this would be more than a bit worrisome)

Comment 2: The Pew article seems to provide a good description of the pro's and con's of the approach.

As with any survey, the big question is "How accurate do you need the information to be?".

Last comment (and this is an important one).

Kevin Lane posted some very interesting information in a recent thread on Bridgewinner. (I am attaching that post in its entirety at the tail end of this one)

Simply put: The number of bridge players in the US is going to decline precipitously over the next 10 years.
Any value that you derive via a survey today is going to be inappropriate for any kind of long term planning.

----------------

Hat tip to the ACBL's Melissa Donehue who provided me some anonymized raw data. The following represents an age breakdown of current ACBL members who earned masterpoints in 2013 (about 65% of members). Disclaimer: the data isn't perfect but the imperfections don't seem to skew the results:

10% decile = 60
20% decile = 65
30% decile = 68
40% decile = 70
50% decile = 72
60% decile = 74
70% decile = 77
80% decile = 80
90% decile = 84

Median = 72
Mode = 71

—And for those wanting a breakdown of the youngest 10%:

10% decile = 37
20% decile = 46
30% decile = 50
40% decile = 53
50% decile = 55
60% decile = 57
70% decile = 58
80% decile = 59
90% decile = 60

Again, these are players who EARNED MASTERPOINTS in 2013.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2014-March-06, 09:39

The survey says +/- blah, i assumed (no good reason) they were using the standard 95% confidence.

I'm mostly interested in whether there really are a huge mass of non-duplicate players out there, who we can serve with simple games like the couple we hang off our website.

The 10 year problem is real, I suspect. It isn't like i know what to do about it, though. Maybe a good start would be to find a way to get the more casual players to come play simpler web games with less of a fuss.

#4 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2014-March-06, 09:48

The google survey claims there is a large group of young people 18-24 who knows how to play bridge.

Do you have any theory why that is so?
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-March-06, 09:56

Can the Google survey folks check for specific cookies?

As I recall, BBO places some cookies on local machines.
The Google survey folks scan for cookies and use this to make demographic assumptions.

I'd expect that the number of self identified bridge players who lack the BBO cookie would be a useful data point...
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-06, 10:00

It is peculiar that young people are more likely to know how to play bridge than older people are. I wonder if young people are more likely to overstate their proficiency. Some may have said "yes" on the basis that they have a vague idea about the objective and mechanics of the game.

But at least it is good that there is an "uncertain" option. You know the old joke:

Q: Can you play the piano?
A: I don't know, I never tried.

BTW men are more likely to know how to play bridge. For the youngest age group the difference between the genders is huge (28% vs 8.7%).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-06, 10:13

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-March-06, 09:05, said:

Hat tip to the ACBL's Melissa Donehue who provided me some anonymized raw data. The following represents an age breakdown of current ACBL members who earned masterpoints in 2013 (about 65% of members). Disclaimer: the data isn't perfect but the imperfections don't seem to skew the results:

10% decile = 60
20% decile = 65
30% decile = 68
40% decile = 70
50% decile = 72
60% decile = 74
70% decile = 77
80% decile = 80
90% decile = 84

Median = 72
Mode = 71

—And for those wanting a breakdown of the youngest 10%:

10% decile = 37
20% decile = 46
30% decile = 50
40% decile = 53
50% decile = 55
60% decile = 57
70% decile = 58
80% decile = 59
90% decile = 60

Again, these are players who EARNED MASTERPOINTS in 2013.

Those are pretty dramatic figures, hrothgar. To look at them another way:

- only half of acbl members who earned masterpoints in 2013 were aged 72 or under
- only 1 in 5 was aged 65 or under
- only 1 in 10 was aged 60 or under
- only 1 in 20 was aged 55 or under
- only 1 in 33 was aged 51 or under
- only 1 in 50 was aged 46 or under
- only 1 in 100 was aged 37 or under

I knew there was concern about the age of membership of the acbl, but I didn't know quite how precarious the situation was. I wonder whether there is any way we could get comparable figures for England, where I play? My impression is that it isn't as bad as this, but that may be biased because I mostly see the population of tournament players rather than club players.

#8 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-March-06, 10:39

The median age of those who earned a masterpoint last year was 72.

What was the median age of members of the ACBL?

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-March-06, 11:17

View Postjogs, on 2014-March-06, 10:39, said:

The median age of those who earned a masterpoint last year was 72.

What was the median age of members of the ACBL?

The information that I provided is the only such demographic information that I have available.
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-06, 11:20

I think "earned masterpoints" is intended as a proxy for "actively plays bridge". Clubs only report masterpoint winners, not everyone who played in the games, so it's the most complete information they have. Since most club games and tournaments are stratified, even poor players get points once in a while, so masterpoint winners is not a bad approximation of active players.

Statistics about people who are members but never actually play don't seem very important. They're probably also a tiny fraction of the membership -- how many people would keep paying ACBL dues if they don't care to play? So I doubt the difference biases the statistics significantly.

#11 User is offline   dustinst22 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Spades, Bridge, good food/wine, MMA, classical music, cycling

Posted 2014-March-06, 17:44

The major problem with a survey like this is that I think you will get a higher response rate amongst those who actually play.

I imagine when you ask a random survey question to a random Internet user who isn't forced to answer, those who know the subject will be more willing to answer the poll. Especially if it's a niche subject (in this case Bridge) it will attract more attention to those who know the subject. I think the only way to get an accurate representation for something like this is to somehow "force" every person asked to answer.

On the other hand a poll asking an opinion on who will win a presidential election is likely going to get a fair representation, thus making the Google consumer survey very accurate for those types of polls.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-06, 19:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-March-06, 10:00, said:

BTW men are more likely to know how to play bridge.

Hugely. Looking around the room at a club or tournament confirms this.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-March-06, 19:16

View PostRain, on 2014-March-06, 09:48, said:

The google survey claims there is a large group of young people 18-24 who knows how to play bridge.

Do you have any theory why that is so?

I think this is because a fair number play some when they are in college, then never play again. At age 20, they'd say "yes, they know how" but at age 30 they'd say "no".

#14 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-March-06, 19:21

I'd really like to see the 2013 ACBL data next to the 1983 (or so) ACBL data. I think predictions of impending doom are not valid because ACBL has a long history of being able to recruit recent retirees as new members; with the Baby Boomers now reaching that age, I'd actually expect to see an increase 10 years from now over the current membership totals.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-06, 23:24

View Postdustinst22, on 2014-March-06, 17:44, said:

The major problem with a survey like this is that I think you will get a higher response rate amongst those who actually play.

I assume Google factors this into their confidence level.

I imagine when you ask a random survey question to a random Internet user who isn't forced to answer, those who know the subject will be more willing to answer the poll. Especially if it's a niche subject (in this case Bridge) it will attract more attention to those who know the subject. I think the only way to get an accurate representation for something like this is to somehow "force" every person asked to answer.

I don't think I've participated in a Google Poll, but I'm guessing you don't get to see the question before agreeing to participate.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 05:01

As with any survey the first question should be how it was done. For example, if you did a random survey on BBF with this question you might discover that more than 12.4% of respondents know how to play bridge. Indeed, as someone who currently works for a market research company I would say that the chances of this survey matching industry standards are pretty low. And that is in a field where some surveys already have pretty low quality (see the WC election thread for some examples of this). However, I could be wrong - it is possible to produce meaningful data via the internet if you are careful about it.
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-07, 05:14

My guess would be that they have thought quite carefully about how to avoid biases. They don't poll people entirely randomly but stratify on the basis of websites visited, cookies and IP addresses. And as Barmar said, don't disclose the question or topic before people have agreed to participate.

That said, the concordance between inferred sex/age and reported sex/age is not that great so one could question the quality of the stratification.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 07:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-March-06, 10:00, said:

BTW men are more likely to know how to play bridge.

View PostVampyr, on 2014-March-06, 19:14, said:

Looking around the room at tournaments, or at the clubs where you play, may support this idea but if you looked at the memberships of all bridge clubs in England you would find more women than men playing.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#19 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-07, 07:32

View PostVampyr, on 2014-March-06, 19:14, said:

Well I actually don't think it is true. It may be true in some countries in Eastern Europe where bridge is more a male thing. As I said the difference between the genders, according to the poll, are most pronounced among young people. This may be true. I just wonder if it could be a poll artefact.

#20 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-07, 07:38

I printed the data on ACBL masterpoint winners. It is a great way to postpone my midlife crisis.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users